International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Jig's, Coil winder jigs, Core molds/jigs and so on
 CNC mill home brew
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 17 2013 :  17:28:45  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did not see any threads for home built CNC mills so thought I would share mine and if any one had questions about building one, they could fire away :)

the page on my website dedicated to it.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Some images for those who do not want to head over and look :)

these are all of the current machien I made from scraps and a cheap set up (*motors and controller) from stepperworld

at some point I plan on making a smaller faster all folded sheet metal mill using scraps from cases of computers, home stereo DVD and CD decks, you name it :)

the videos on the webpage are also over on my youtube account You must be logged in to see this link.

anyone wanting to ask questions and such about it to build their own, feel free to ask. I also used scrap roller bearings out of dead inline skates so I have a design for a way to renew dead ones, by effectively flushing out the dirt and such from them. I will detail that on another thread somewhere :)

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 18 2013 :  04:43:28  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Architect ,
Welcome to The forum !!!
That's Cool ... How close of tolerances can you mill with it ?

==================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

"Throughout space there is energy ...
It it a mere question of time when man will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of Nature" Nicola Tesla
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 18 2013 :  10:20:27  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so far my measurements have shown I can repeatedly hit the same spot (doing a 4 inch circular cut) with in .0006 inches (about 0.015mm) and the movement is divided into .00025 inches per pulse (stepper motors) or about 0.006mm so essentially I can nail anything with in one thousandth of an inch or 0.0245mm. My cut volume is about 1 foot by 1.75 foot by 5 inches for z movement (30.5cm x 53.3cm x 12.7cm) my run out was incredibly small with my original dremel and was something I could not figure out as to why, then it started making a racket and had to have MDF dust cleaned out of it (no parts made for it fit it anymore, it was that old lol) it still makes noise but not as much so I had to retire it, and figured I was going to end up with a couple thousandths of runout when I switched to something else but I found the rotozip which has an ingenious method of holding the bits and have had next to no run out on it so I plan on at some time making a foredom style tool handle that uses the collet design as the rotozip. I am also going to make it a bigger tool holder so I can hold those larger bits I have left over from working with a mill that had an R6 holder. With that I figured I could build something that gets rid of roller bearing runnout by using 3 roller bearings on each end and apply a set screw that presses on each in a triangular motion that way none of them are off center by anymore than any other of the 3. though I may be able to do this with just two per end.

the thing I made using sheetmetal that secured my faith in being able to make one of these units using only scrap sheetmetal was really this

it was made for making a magnetic toy building block that will eventually have electronic components inside them so it will be easier than working with lego blocks to build, and end up with a 3D circuit design inside too. unfortunately due to no clamp action it does not really work very well on its own, so if I do use it I will have to do so on the head of my mill or build a clamp for it using my mill to hold down the sheet it is to cut. (the rotary action either pulls the sheet through or it lifts it depending on which direction you go with it, so the only way to really use it as is would be if I had a cutter that had a negative rake or a reversible fordome but I will get it figured out soon as I still really think these blocks are going to take off :)

***edit If you want to see my previous sheet metal work you can hit the You must be logged in to see this link. page and look those over as they are made entirely with sheet on the nose bridge, lens rims, and debris shields. I have much newer stuff and make custom hand tools for making intricate bends in metal with some degree of accuracy :)

Edited by - The_Architect on January 18 2013 10:25:39
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 18 2013 :  19:37:04  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not bad on the tolerances !
I think the electronics would give me trouble to figure em out ...

I've been looking at Gingery Lathes ... I hope to build one, hopefully this summer ... I still have several things to gather for my Foundry , first , lol .

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

"Throughout space there is energy ...
It it a mere question of time when man will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of Nature" Nicola Tesla
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 18 2013 :  21:32:03  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah I have one of those mini lathes that I made an attachment to hold my fordome (handle seen in the above pics on that sheetmetal fixture) The electronics I just bought, as it was a lot easier to get somewhere. I hope someday to build something myself but for now, I am kinda just legging it with the controller card and motors I bought. The card is kinda expensive to most people because it was like 200 bucks, but it handles up to 7 amps of power and under up to 48 volts at that amperage. if you look that is enough power to run up to a 2000 oz per inch motor, or basically something that could with out much gearing raise a truck motor at around a foot per second. No way I can burn something like that out with a computer power supply. also cheap power is available by tying two or more computer power supplies as they can create double the amps worth of their 12 or 5 volt out put. so no need to buy a super expensive 2 or 3 thousand watt supply. just tie together a bunch of 200 or more watt units to make that wattage :)

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 20 2013 :  22:07:31  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm so no one wants to ask any questions about the mill, or wants to build one for their projects? I am using my mill to make parts so that there is as little unbalancing to it as possible. *rotational generator* to avoid any vibrations, but there I am sure will be parts that making them by hand will be rather difficult.

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - January 23 2013 :  16:23:10  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Architect

Thats an impressive device you have made. It just shows what can be acheived when one puts one's mind into gear.

The reproducability / accuracy is also very impressive given the nature of the materials and construction

ron
Go to Top of Page

deepcut

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - January 23 2013 :  17:30:35  Show Profile  Send deepcut a Yahoo! Message Send deepcut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Architect, that's some admirable building. Your accuracy is better than the guys who do my laser-cutting, they get 0.1mm.

All the best,

DC.

Experience is a hard teacher. It gives the test first and the lesson afterward.
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 26 2013 :  02:22:19  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the wear rate is pretty good too because as the thing is used it gets tighter on the lead nuts not looser from the wear on them, I am pretty sure this is due to a combined effort of the galling that polyethylene has (anything that wears off of the nut has a high chance of getting stuck back into the nut else where) and dust and debris getting into the threads, I did take the all thread to a buffing wheel and take it down to a white rouge which is nearly as fine a polish and mirror like surface as the red or finest smoothest surface, so the wear is very very low. I am still very interested in using only measuring tools and hand tools to make a slightly bigger one using sheet metal that is bent and folded.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2