International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Help each other to help yourself grow
 Learning about the ocilloscope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - November 26 2012 :  16:22:34  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Tectronics TDS 2012 on pretty much permit loan that I've been playing with and learning how to use.

Most of what I've read (and lessons I've looked at) talk of having a function/signal generator. I do not have one..

First question becomes;
Is there a difference between function and signal generator?
They seem to be speaking of the same thing as they go through the lesson (i.e. creating a wave signal, thus signal generator).

The second question really does depend on the answer to the first, but I'll ask anyway..

Is this a decent 'signal generator'?
You must be logged in to see this link.

Third is (if I dare go this far);
Is it important for the generator to be pure vs. square wave?
I'm looking right now at testing components and/or looking/watching their actions.

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  14:12:59  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Olddawgsrule

You need a signal generator that produces sine wave output ( most will also have square and triangular wave forms output "built in"

Depending upon what you want to do the options are audio frequency or radio frequency output ( maybe both ? )

Answer to you question .... not really what your looking for

ron
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  15:02:28  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my ultra modern unit LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  15:39:58  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ron_o On my scope I have a seperate VAR SWEEP, with a cal position when rolled all the way to the right.

If I am looking at a waveform and want to manually calculate the frequency, how do I know this is properly adjusted, as it would totally effect my start and end points of the wave?

When I set my probe tip to the calibration loop, and clip to ground I get a 2V P>P square wave, and if i place VAR Sweep to CAL, am I suppose to have a certain freq. that'd be noted in the manual? Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  15:59:29  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kyle

I like your RF signal generator , assume it's all "tube" >

Basically you "measure" the time taken for one full cycle using the grid on the scope tube face and the timebase setting

I will get back to you on this

ron

Edited by - ron_o on November 27 2012 16:04:17
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  16:02:18  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Olddawgsrule

Send me a direct e_mail and i will send you a circuit diagram of a device you will find very useful for use with your scope.

ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  16:13:42  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just sent.
Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by ron_o

Hi Olddawgsrule

Send me a direct e_mail and i will send you a circuit diagram of a device you will find very useful for use with your scope.

ron

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  17:42:22  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ron_o

Yes, 12AU7, colpitts oscillator from the mid 150 k's up to about 435 Mhz. No good for stuff lower than RF, though.

re: scope

Yes, I realize how to do that, but what I am saying is, when I adjust the VAR SWEEP, that waveform "stretches" out and in horizontally, so... this in effect changes what one would calculate the frequency to be, because it changes the horizontal size of the period, visually...so... how does one know that it (The VAR SWEEP) is set "correctly". Do you have to roll the dial over to CAL, in order to see the waveform in its correct period?

Or maybe I am confused.

Of course, i can feed in signal from the gen...

But then again, how do I know it is calibrated, either?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by - kcarring on November 27 2012 17:50:31
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - November 27 2012 :  19:10:19  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kyle

Sorry , totally misunderstood the question.

Simple test , use the ac output from a low voltage transformer ( this should be a near perfect sinewave at approx 60 Hz )
see at what position the waveform looks right at when you adjust the VAR SWEEP control

The on board calibration circuitry can drift with time , i will sort out a simple 555 based calibrator circuit for you.

What model / make is your 'scope ?

ron
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - November 28 2012 :  01:16:48  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ron , thanks for he tip, the scope...it is a Circuit Test OS 2025

which, is almost certainly, something "rebranded".

they don't even make the 25, anymore, 30 is slowest they got

see, then, this store calls it
"their brand"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by - kcarring on November 28 2012 01:18:43
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - November 28 2012 :  03:07:03  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kyle

It's still a perfectly serviceable 'scope , i still use my 20MHz dual trace scope at home.

The calibration circuit i mentioned will allow you to set up your 'scope well within the stated specifications.

Should be on it's way to you tonight ( my time GMT )

ron
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2