International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Jig's, Coil winder jigs, Core molds/jigs and so on
 Method to wind a perfect pancake coil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mnsman
Average Member

USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  19:39:55  Show Profile Send mnsman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a method I devised to wind the two inch pancake coils I use in my pulse dc motor drive coil. It is a start to finish demonstration video of how to wind a perfect 2" pancake coil with additional info in the description.

My motor drive coil consists of 13 of these coils tightly stacked and connected serially. The motor I built using this coil has reached speeds of 90k rpm. Unfortunately due to a *Not So Smart* mistake I burnt up the coil that achieved that speed so I have to replace it. Additionally I built a motor controller that I feature in a video which helped me reach that speed. It allows control of pulse duration and delay and is based on an Arduino mega2560. Hope this helps anyone interested.

[edit]
I want to add that instead of using crazy glue to bond the wire together as I do in the video you can try using self bonding aka bondable magnet wire like you can find here: You must be logged in to see this link. . I personally haven't tried it but that is the idea behind it. It shouldn't bond to your winding jig. That is the biggest problem with the method in my video.

- jim aka yt user mnsman1

coil wind demo vid

controller info/demo vid
You must be logged in to see this link.

additional coil info

Edited by - mnsman on June 13 2012 22:04:06

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  19:42:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi mnsman

I like this video very much it is a great way to make a flat coil very easy Many Thanks

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

mnsman
Average Member

USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  20:41:40  Show Profile Send mnsman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are very welcome. I thought the word should get out because I could never find an easy how to on pancake coil winding. Fyi Doug I'm one of your subs on yt. Thanks for your vids. Jim
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  23:30:24  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey mnsman,
That look's like a pretty good way to wind a pancake coil ..
It occurred to me that fender washers could be used as a cheap substitute and a tube spacer to clamp with a nut or wing nut to hold it together tight on the 1/4 inch bolt .. I haven't tried it yet but, I believe I have all the part's to try with the method I described .. As I have no Idea where to get the gear you used .
Thanks for the info and idea .

=============================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

===================================================================================================

"Throughout space there is energy ... It it a mere question of time when man will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of Nature" Nicola Tesla
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - June 08 2012 :  16:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mnsman

Here is a method I devised to wind the two inch pancake coils ...

I have taken some notes. I like it. It's simple, produces easy and great results. I will have to try that.
The speeds are impressive.

Jet
Go to Top of Page

mnsman
Average Member

USA
249 Posts

Posted - June 10 2012 :  11:23:45  Show Profile Send mnsman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kudzu

Hey mnsman,
That look's like a pretty good way to wind a pancake coil ..
It occurred to me that fender washers could be used as a cheap substitute and a tube spacer to clamp with a nut or wing nut to hold it together tight on the 1/4 inch bolt .. I haven't tried it yet but, I believe I have all the part's to try with the method I described .. As I have no Idea where to get the gear you used .
Thanks for the info and idea .

Yes that is possible because that is what I started out with about a year ago when I first started my motor build. Believe me it's a lesson in frustration. You need to have a tight square fit if you are using smaller gauge wire like the 22 I use. With larger gauge wire you have a lot more room for wiggle. The gears allow you to lock down and they are square to the rod or bolt. The tighter the gears fit on the bolt the better. Good luck and please show your progress if you decide to try it out. -Jim
Go to Top of Page

mnsman
Average Member

USA
249 Posts

Posted - June 10 2012 :  11:30:48  Show Profile Send mnsman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have taken some notes. I like it. It's simple, produces easy and great results. I will have to try that.
The speeds are impressive.

Jet

Well you'll be the first to reproduce that I'm aware of. I've disclosed all my methods and will answer any questions. For almost a year only a couple of ppl have said they will reproduce but I haven't seen anything yet. I would love to see it. I know you are busy with your own projects and ideas but it would be exciting and a joy for me if you would reproduce and improve.

Thanks Jet. -Jim
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - June 10 2012 :  12:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote] Well you'll be the first to reproduce ... I would love to see it.

As you have become aware. We all see things differently. Based on experience, We all report our work differently. Therefore, I'm studying all effects of certain devices for myself.

I have an opportunity to replicate your high speed motor. I am building a pulse motor. Not for the competition, but for learning.

I will need your expertise for the coils, bearings choice, and techniques. As far as parts we can fairly trade.

The purpose of my motor is to find out if it can replace the inefficient electric motor in e-cars. They are wasting BEMF, on top of that.

The opportunity is I want to make a magnetic heater, run by a fast pulse motor.

That is where our interest merges. Fast it will have to be. At least 3600 RPM using a fraction of what a regular motor would use.

Here are the links to real simple magnetic heaters.

Jim, If your interested, I would be honoured to have your support in this (low budget, lol) high speed pulse motor project?

Jet

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - June 10 2012 :  12:27:28  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jet

Wow you made a believer out of me. The last video shows it all. Now I have a reason to make a pulse motor. That is really cool thanks for the video very nice

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

mnsman
Average Member

USA
249 Posts

Posted - June 10 2012 :  13:01:40  Show Profile Send mnsman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jet

quote:

[quote] Well you'll be the first to reproduce ... I would love to see it.

As you have become aware. We all see things differently. Based on experience, We all report our work differently. Therefore, I'm studying all effects of certain devices for myself.

I have an opportunity to replicate your high speed motor. I am building a pulse motor. Not for the competition, but for learning.

I will need your expertise for the coils, bearings choice, and techniques. As far as parts we can fairly trade.

The purpose of my motor is to find out if it can replace the inefficient electric motor in e-cars. They are wasting BEMF, on top of that.

The opportunity is I want to make a magnetic heater, run by a fast pulse motor.

That is where our interest merges. Fast it will have to be. At least 3600 RPM using a fraction of what a regular motor would use.

Here are the links to real simple magnetic heaters.

Jim, If your interested, I would be honoured to have your support in this (low budget, lol) high speed pulse motor project?

Jet

Sure I will help you however I can. The inductive heating videos are very cool and begs the question of efficiency in this method. My particular motor would yawn at 3600 rpm. lol Though it will run at that speed no problem. The problem is it has little torque and probably wouldn't be the best choicse for the heating application. I hope that by adding a second coil it will have much more torque. But that remains to be seen. Of course there are probably better candidate motors for your application- either a high efficiency off the shelf or a diy design that someone has proven and open sourced. I'm not a motor expert, believe it or not. lol I've built 6 or 7 different pulse motors and this latest one just happens to be crazy fast. In which case I have different plans for it. OU hopefully but, as you know the odds are way against me. It's still a learning experience and by sharing what I've done hopefully someone can learn and improve upon it. It might be you.

Finding suitable bearings for my projects has always been a challenge for me. Good tolerance and material choice has also been a problem because my craftsmanship and tools are limited, therefore I try to find the simplest arrangement possible in my builds.

Let me know what I can do for you in particular and i will try my best to help.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - June 10 2012 :  13:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Let me know what I can do for you in particular and i will try my best to help ... Jim

Thanks Jim, Will do.

Jet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2