International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Electric vehicles
 Trailer genertor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shakamuni01
Average Member

USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  22:20:00  Show Profile Send shakamuni01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how true this is but I read somewhere that most car alternators turn off for the most part because they produce much more needed energy than needed, and so the guy that said this said he ties a bunch of deep cycle batteries up to the back of his car everytime he goes for a drive.

This got me thinking would it pay to change the alternator out with a permanent magnet generator and charge up a whole bunch of batteries which could in turn run your car. However the complication is how to feed it into your wheel drive mechanisims. So I thought why not make a mini trailer that just carries the batteries and a motor. As the batteries charge up they can discharge through the motor which can push the car. There will probably be an optimimum speed range where it can kick in or not. Most trailers have the braking lever thing on the attachment which can also be the cut off switch or even a switch that flips the circuit to a charging line as it breaks.

Again my understanding is is that the car engine puts out a basic level of torque anyway so why not run generators off it.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  04:23:25  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Shak
The only problem is the more you draw from the altinator, the more fuel you use.A good way to do it would be to use regenerative breaking to do the charging-this save's on break pads to

swim at 90 degrees to the current and gain speed in two directions

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

shakamuni01
Average Member

USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  21:29:29  Show Profile Send shakamuni01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK my understanding was that the altinator is producing a bunch of power most of the time that is not used. Though I also heard that was the case with older cars. I guess I was under the impresssion that the alternator is often running anyway and just dumping its power(in the form of circular motion).
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  08:44:20  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The alternator is just like your gas powered generator's-the more you require the more it will make-but the more it loads the prime mover.It's just that bloody backEMF again lol

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  01:36:18  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Shak,
That's a generator that does that ... An Alternator is controlled by a voltage regulator that supplies the voltage to excite the field to charge ( a lot of newer car's will not run without a battery ), until the voltage is basically taken away from it by the regulator . The modern Alternator in AC rectified to DC Via Diode Trio usually ... It will have almost no load on your engine if no power was needed but, in today's power hungry car's some have 140amp and up available on some model's , with the vehicle sucking almost every amp produced .

On your pull behind cart , maybe a rearend under it to drive a generator or alternator ... Maybe through the floor of the trailer VIA some type of belt or chain system ( just put a cover over it to keep from road deb re slinging all over the generator or alternator and battery's ).

=============================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

===================================================================================================

"Throughout space there is energy ... It it a mere question of time when man will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of Nature" Nicola Tesla
Go to Top of Page

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  13:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt see it also mentioned that its not a good idea to have something pushing you like a trailer because the tow bar is a ball pivot - the thing would snake and buffer your car making it snake too or if you turn and its pushing it will jack knife you like a trailer does to a truck under braking. A HHO or additional electric drive motor to the engine only may be best. At higher speeds, what ever that may be, when the alternator isant charging the cars battery like you said its charging an additional Internal set so at lower speeds it draws from the additional batteries leaving the engine to tick over until its depleted or you are at speed.
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - April 23 2016 :  09:47:19  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinMan

Hi Shak
The only problem is the more you draw from the altinator, the more fuel you use.A good way to do it would be to use regenerative breaking to do the charging-this save's on break pads to

skype-thetinman.69

Sorry to pop your bubble tinman but regen brakes are an absolute waste of energy because it slows your vehicle down faster than simply coasting in which case an EV would not be using any energy to coast at all but when you speed up the slow down time by adding regen brakes you in turn force yourself to spend more juice to increase your speed back to what you were at before taking your foot off the so called gas pedal.
I have worked with a guy who has proven this with his own EV truck.
you actually spend less by just coasting than using Regen braking.
But to design a wind turbine gen stator and rotor that operates as you drive that would be very useful
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2