International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Transformers, Generators and Electric Motors.
 Wood Gasifiers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  20:08:19  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps in the future we'll add a new section, but for now I placed this post here, because of lack of better place - but - one main goal of these units is to run gensets; so I figured it is not that far off this topic.

After much deliberation and discussion with the builder, I have decided to change my original demo order, and this is the unit I will be receiving, still in beta testing stage.

Is it an Imbert Downdraft design, based on, but highly modified from the original FEMA plans. I secured a dealership for this product for the BC Canada area where I anticipate several cabin owners and off-grid folks to take interest.

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures, and will have a lot more info once I get it in my hands and begin testing.

Based on initial results, the unit should be fully capable of running from chips, as well as pellets (these units require solid wood fuel, no grass, hay, bark mulch etc. otherwise the gas is of poor quality). It's scaled down "little brother" ran a 2500 watt genset under a 1500 watt load, so we anticipate this unit, the E-1 to run a 4500 watt genset under 3000 watt load, or better. This should be more than sufficient to power appliances and charge large battery banks, from woodgas alone. In addition to that will be testing the "closed loop", i.e. finding the right chipper that will run off the unit itself, and produce a large excess of fuel by comparison to the fuel it takes, to do so.

Cheers

Shown in the picture is the main gasifier, it's cyclonic filter, and the heat exchanger / venturi. The venturi requires an included small DC electric fan blower for about 10 minutes during fire-up. Once pirolysis has begin, the fan is shut down, and the unit produces a cool gas, that when ignited produces a consistend purple flame that is about 50%N2, 20%H2, and 5-15% CO/CH3

Typically a 20 lb sack of pellets or chips is equivalent to about 1 gallong of gasoline in the genset. I'll present a lot more meaningful data when I actually get it in my hands, it is just getting finished up this week.

Similar units are available on the market, and better units even, however; the price of this unit versus the engineering that went into it are what gives it its' competitive edge. The finished product will run between 1200-1500 bucks. When compared to a wind or solar system outputting an 80A charge, the device quickly gains meaning in an offgrid system that includes acreage / materials / on days that wind nor sun are abundant.

Cheers
Kyle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2