International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Concept Ideas
 DIY 120 Watt LED Overhead Bench Lighting System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 14 2012 :  17:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a Do It Yourself 120 Watts equivalent overhead Bench LED Light system.

Here is my setup, and how you can save a bundle in electricity and parts by ordering the parts separately and assembling the whole yourself. It uses only 12 Watts of power but gives the equivalent of a 120 Watts light bulb. See below for links for more details.

LED Strip
You must be logged in to see this link.

Manual Dimmer

Wireless Dimmer

Power Supply - Good to 15 Watts - Good for 1 to 4 Strips (60 LED each) full brigthness

The idea is to match well the power supply and load to minimise lost in heat.
Jet

Edited by - Jet on April 18 2012 17:19:20

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Ice_Viper220

USA
176 Posts

Posted - April 14 2012 :  20:38:16  Show Profile Send Ice_Viper220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this is a pretty nifty setup you could use a 40 amp hour battery charge controller and single solar pannle and have yourself some pretty nice free lighting.

Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 14 2012 :  20:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ice_Viper220

Now this is a pretty nifty setup ...[/IMG]

Thanks for your comment Ice Viper.
Yea, It wouldn't take much of solar panel to run this system.
For someone remote and away from power lines it is a good system.

Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  16:07:50  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jet

I think this is a good idea and Thanks I have mine on order and will post when it is done.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  16:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 49er

Hi Jet

I think this is a good idea ...

Hi 49er,
Would sure like to see it when your done!

Cheers,
Jet
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  17:35:15  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jet

You will

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Ice_Viper220

USA
176 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  17:40:17  Show Profile Send Ice_Viper220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jet,
I was thinking more in terms of a free kitchen and outdoor walkway lights with the bill paid for by the good old sun my wife loves to leave a light on at night so this would be great just hook the power through a night sensor so it will auto turn on at night and off during the day, maintenance free just the way I like it.

Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  18:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Jet,
I was thinking more in terms of a free kitchen ...

Ice Viper, That sounds great.
Are building this ?
If so She will like it!
Cheers!

Jet
Go to Top of Page

Ice_Viper220

USA
176 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  19:01:13  Show Profile Send Ice_Viper220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup I should have a working model in 2 weeks or so. And as always will be glad to take a vidio

Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  19:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup I should have a working model in 2 weeks or so. ...

This is great,
That will be fun to built.

Jet
Go to Top of Page

Ice_Viper220

USA
176 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  19:11:39  Show Profile Send Ice_Viper220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should be pretty simple I'm going to tare the dimmer apart and see if u can't use switches instead because I may want 120w worth of light sometimes and 50w other times and I want it yo be simple for the wife

Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  19:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Should be pretty simple I'm going to tare the dimmer apart and see if u can't use switches instead because I may want 120w worth of light sometimes and 50w other times and I want it yo be simple for the wife

OK buddy!

Jet
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  19:49:25  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
an especially good project in the sense that many have the fluorescent fixtures in place, with the old school ballasts, and now they've gone and changed the bulbs, you can't even buy the old ballasts --- perfect time to give up on the works but keep the fixture - (In Canada that is the case, anyway...) great project!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 15 2012 :  19:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kcarring

an especially good project ...

Yea! , Lets keep those enclosures, they'll come in handy!
Thanks for commenting, Kyle

Jet
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - April 17 2012 :  02:36:19  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jet,
I like the light you made ..
I look forward to replicating it ( maybe I can cut down my way to high power bill ! ) .
Great JOB !!!

=============================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - April 17 2012 :  18:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kudzu

Hey Jet,
I like the light you made ..

Yeah, Kudzu it will definitely cut the bill down.
Let us know how you made out.

Jet
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - April 28 2012 :  10:25:55  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

My string of lights came today and there very small BUT they do give off a huge amount of light. Just have to find the right spot for them and wait for my controller to come.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  12:20:38  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is what I have for my lights now I have to find a spot in the house for it. It does work very well thank Jet

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  14:22:13  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi All

This is what I have for my lights now I have to find a spot in the house for it. It does work very well thank Jet ...

No problem! Glad to help out!

Awesome Purchase buddy!
Very cheap.

Jet.

Edited by - Jet on May 03 2012 14:23:15
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  21:02:53  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er,
Did it make the LED's brighter with the mirror backing ?

===================================================================================================

"Throughout space there is energy ... It it a mere question of time when man will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of Nature" Nicola Tesla
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  08:20:32  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I think it just focused the light down. My wife is going to use it for her craft table, we held the light up over the table and it made it day light bright on the table top she was happy. Now I get to mount it...LOL will take a pic when done

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  10:08:19  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK 49er ,
Sound's Great !

===================================================================================================

"Throughout space there is energy ... It it a mere question of time when man will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of Nature" Nicola Tesla
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  21:28:20  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ALL

Here is the rest of the story with my new light and it works great.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  22:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi ALL

Here is the rest of the story ...

This is a great setup, 49er. I'm glad it worked out for you, and you are satisfies with the idea.

In the near future, I am changing my 12 volt power supply to a Transformerless Power Supply or also called Capacitor Power Supply. This will eliminate phantom power by 90%. Keep watch for that.

Jet.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  22:35:16  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jet

Mine is all done with just batteries the only AC in the house is used for the well (220 volts) and I am working on that.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  22:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Jet

Mine is all done with just batteries ...

I did not know that. I use to run on a 12 Volt battery for 6 months. That was very cheap. The transformerless PS will cost me $1 per year. So I decided that I will leave it on 120 VAC. I do not want to bother charging the battery, if to cost is so low.

Sounds like your going off grid. that is very interesting.

Jet.
Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  22:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup I should have a working model in 2 weeks or so. ...

Ice_Viper how are you doing with the installation?
Will you be making a video to show your work, that would lovely?

Jet.
Go to Top of Page

Ice_Viper220

USA
176 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  12:31:41  Show Profile Send Ice_Viper220 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jet,
No video yet my first attempt at modifying the controller didn't go so well I fried it as soon as I get another one I guess I will just use it as is instead of fiddling with it.

Go to Top of Page

Jet

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  13:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Jet's Homepage Send Jet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I will just use it as is instead of fiddling with it.

LOL, If I had a nickel for everytime I fried something!
Your not afraid to try something new, even if it's risky. Never give up trying. You always find what you need in the end. Cheers.

Jet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2