International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 Wind speeds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 09 2012 :  16:22:26  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious how others are doing attempting to collect Wind Power.

What kinda winds are you collecting now?

I'm getting 3-9mph ground with 15-17 gusts
Taken from a station 3 miles from me

Nice seasonal winds...

Had close to that for a week now.
Average was forecast in the 11's, fairly close to what I'm really seeing out there and what the Gennie is doing

Pity to the Black Fly that dares fly through it...

Nice site I've been checking of late
You must be logged in to see this link.

And there's always

Punch in your own location and track

Though this might be fun and informative

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - April 10 2012 :  08:47:02  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ODR,
Yea, I've been wondering if there was a centrifugal clutch that is sold for wind generators ..
A setup with weight's and springs inside the hub , so once it hit's a certain RPM range it would allow the blades to slip .. Just so it wouldn't be so ruff on a PWM and overclock it so to speak ..
Well, around here it wouldn't be needed unless a tornado came through but, I noticed in some area's it would seem to be a useful addition to a windmill .

=============================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - April 10 2012 :  15:12:30  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR and K

They make a tail that will take the nose out of the wind and slow down the blades, I think they call it furling but that is the only mechanical way that I know of.. They also have a switch to short the gen out and can almost stop the blades with it.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 11 2012 :  15:00:59  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The New bird that I'm about to put up has a unique design to the blade to slow down in higher wind (one reason I paid the dollar for it)

Second is, it has a circuit to read the voltage and shut her down if exceeding

Third; She's fused, so if all else fails, fuse blows and shuts her down

Lastly; There's a switch that shuts her down if I know there's high wind coming

It answered all my questions and incorporated/designed into a unit

Close to having her fly and will report when flying
Working through a 'good' tower system right now

In the meantime
Pushing 100-150watts through the 'little' bird flying, in the test zone (not best location)

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - February 07 2013 :  17:24:12  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
something I was thinking of was a way to move the coils, or at least the cores, so that as wind increases the cores are moved closer generating more power but also taking advantage of the additional torq, and pulling out and away so that even though they produce less power, they still keep the blades moving and therefor the magnets spinning to get some power out of lower power from slower winds, to make this happen I was thinking a motor that turns a screw to move the core in and out, with out having to apply constant power to keep it positioned, and a smaller wind mill that the speed it is running at is used to tell a circuit how far to push the core in or bring it back out. any thoughts?

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - February 08 2013 :  10:30:21  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi teck

Your idea is different. The wind doesn't blow steady and you would break your motor before you could get much of a return on the extra cost of putting it in. I am setting here watching my amp meter to my 3 units and I can't keep up just saying what the amps are coming in to the bank so your motor would be going all the time.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - February 09 2013 :  04:11:24  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah I imagine in some places you would be right, the best option there would be to calculate the highest winds and then build for stability in those high winds at the low end, so that it moves under the lowest winds possible with out being able to be broken. also though I think it would depend on how well designed and what method of manufacture you go with on the small motors to move things around. cause with a threaded rod and nut affair you can get quite a bit of torque on that core, and with pretty fast responses. I move a huge 2 foot by 1 foot 3/4 inch thick plate of MDF ontop of steel C channel, and 1/3rd and half inch thick plates of aluminum construction bed base box, so the whole thing weighs about 25 pounds, that is moved, with nothing more than a little 1.7 volt stepper motor :) (150oz per inch is the holding power) and have been moving that thing around for about 6 years now, with no problems :)

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - February 09 2013 :  15:28:49  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi tect

You won't move much with wind on it because of the torque going in and out will bind it up and burn out your motor. The wind is much stronger than you think.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - March 10 2013 :  04:12:28  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guy's,
What about an electromagnetic clutches that once the wind reached a set threshold it would engage a separate generator in line , the more the wind sustained at higher speeds the more power ( there could be several in series ) instead of it turning away or shutting down , take advantage of the higher wind's extra torque and power . Just put an RPM safety that would shut it down at a set limit encase the wind was too strong or clutch failure ... The extra generators would cause enough drag to keep the speed in-check within reason of course , tornadoes and hurricanes may create a need to shut er down manually , lol

==================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

==================================================================

"Throughout space there is energy ...
It it a mere question of time when man will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of Nature" Nicola Tesla
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - March 10 2013 :  12:21:22  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

The big ones use a variable speed trans. They have made that work very well the one that I looked at used the blade pitch and tranny speed to keep it steady and in there is the problem steady or you will send a big spike up the unit to your house. In our little ones we(I) use the battery to absorb the spikes.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2