International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 Simple DIY wind generator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shakamuni01
Average Member

USA
213 Posts

Posted - April 04 2012 :  04:55:17  Show Profile Send shakamuni01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a fun little project.

You must be logged in to see this link.

I stuck some 1 cm neo mags in and it works well...... well kind of. However I think it is beacause I clamped the rotor too hard and slightly warped it. I should have clamped it longitudinally. (Shaft perpendicular to the vice)

I put the magnets in alternating poles figuring that it would create more current, though wonder from what people say about starting their wind generators with power it the mags on the rotor are generally monopole???

Anyway nice little experiment.

When I spin it with my hand I get 9v but have to find a windy place to see what it goes up to. Will go visit my friend in a couple days who lives in a very windy place.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 04 2012 :  17:27:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are fun projects!

Just be aware, these will not handle Natures Power.

Low wind and a teaching device.
It's a lot of fun!

Been there and had a ball (so did the kiddo's involved).

I left it out after they left... got my typical gusts and...
It blew apart....
Found most of the pieces of the fan...

I love these projects!
Easy to do and quite the learning experience.
For one's self (and showing the Kiddo's something cool).

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

shakamuni01
Average Member

USA
213 Posts

Posted - April 05 2012 :  09:05:04  Show Profile Send shakamuni01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
true. You can probably mount it on a synovial rotor made out of a metal can instead and ditch the fan.
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - April 05 2012 :  09:45:40  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Shak
It dosnt mater if you have alternating magnets or all the same pole out-it will still be alternating current you are makeing.
Alternating magnets only create more output current if the magnets are realy close together.If you have all the same pole out and the magnets are to close together,then the magnetic field in the core of the generating coils wont completly collaps-this is were you need alternating magnetic fields.

swim at 90 degrees to the current and gain speed in two directions

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

shakamuni01
Average Member

USA
213 Posts

Posted - October 04 2012 :  04:24:22  Show Profile Send shakamuni01 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys I have a question. I made a savonius rotor out of an old drum and hooked it up to a old electric scooter motor with a DC to DC converter on it. The scooter motor though is pretty beefy and it seems to charge batteries up. However I used it because it was simply around. What to you feel would be an ideal motor. I am trying to get a little web page up documneting how I have it hooked up but for now I can say it is cogged where the shaft rotates a old bicycle wheel and the motor shaft rests on the wheel rotates. Because the scooter motor is a 24v 200w motor I was feeling it would be optimal. Though saying that without the DC to Dc converter the max voltage it puts out is about 9v and generally cruises around 3v. Anyway the DC to DC converter is set at 14.5v to charge up 12v batteries. I was wondering because I wanted to build some rotors out of perspex and make it look slick and see if I can sell some at a farmers market.

Edited by - shakamuni01 on October 12 2012 02:10:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2