International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 HHO and Water
 Diesel Engine Generator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - March 31 2012 :  12:08:36  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I have picked up a 55 foot boat, and I am fitting her with a new Perkins (Salt water cooled) 3 cylinder engine, that drives a 12Kw AC Alternator to give me the AC power to run all the Air Conditioners and AC appliances while at sea.

It will run 100% on Bio-Diesel. I have already installed two 100 gallon stainless steel tanks awaiting delivery of the 100% bio-diesel.

There is NO computer or high-tech controls on this... just a diesel engine that will maintain 1,500 RPM's.

I am reading how everyone is making HHO units for engines. The more I read, it looks as if this Bio-Diesel powered generator could make use of the addition of HHO.

Do you know any links that would get me started on learning where I would begin to set it up for HHO. TinMan and 49er already have the HHO generator information flowing !!!!

Here is the unit... Only needs sea water connection, battery hooked up, fuel line, and the AC connections to the panel to get her doing what she does best ! (well... set in place in the engine room LOL)

Thanks,

Alan

Edited by - hkalan on March 31 2012 21:36:37

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - March 31 2012 :  12:45:24  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I just read my post... I have not been to clear about my question.

I get the idea how to get Hydrogen into the motor. Basically all you do is drill a hole in your air intake at an angle that will go with the air flow (i.e drill it in the direction that the air would be sucked in). Then fit the pipe that comes from your hydrogen generator into this hole and that's it!

I am looking to know about the volumes of HHO that is best for different engines etc.

Thanks,

Alan

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 31 2012 :  12:57:37  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi HK

Rule of thumb is 1/2 liter HHO per liter of engine

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 31 2012 :  14:08:26  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-drool-

Nice unit! I'd start where 49'er said, you may find that you end up adding very little. HHO is a little funny at low RPM. Often not as effective as high revs / high loading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 01 2012 :  04:15:56  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello

I did some reading... Looks like HHO would not really be a good addition as the engine does not have high RPM's just as you said.

The Bio-diesel makes me very happy !!! So no complaints from me !!

Thanks gentlemen !!!

I still have two C12 CAT's that do have High RPM's that drive the boat... I will look into that later...

Alan

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - April 01 2012 :  06:23:12  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Hkalan
I am going to disagree here-HHO is very good to use with any diesel engin,even better than gas engin's.
The reason is because of the increased compresion of the diesel and the fact that there is no timeing to adjust.
Anything from 20 to 32% HHO to fuel will give you a very clear increase in efficiency.
You will see a lot of diesel's puff out black smoke-this is unburnt fuel-you add 20% HHO and that smoke will be gone because your fuel burn rate will get up to around 94% insted of the average 88% burn for diesel.
Take some time and read the PDF below-it has some good info in it for all type's of motors including diesel's
One big thing to remember-never allow any water droplets to enter a diesel engin-make sure you use a good water trap after the bubbler and befor the inlet to the engin

swim at 90 degrees to the current and gain speed in two directions

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 01 2012 :  21:11:15  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Thank you so much for that PDF. A lot more detail about diesel engines then I have found before.

I see in this document has much more detail about the volume needed. I was surprised to see the need for 7 to 10 Lpm, but fully understand the gas should be put in BEFORE the air filter as it helps spread the gas evenly for all cylinders as well as filter any lye etc.

Having 3 diesel engines on a boat ( 2 drive, 1 generator) would require 3 HHO generators.

The main diesel generator uses little fuel, and all the engines have a return fuel line for the unused fuel that goes back to a fuel distribution manifold from the tanks. Now I have bio-fuel as well as standard diesel. It would be wise to install flow meters on the return flow, and take the readings before I put in any HHO to any engine.

This could be interesting.

Thanks again !!

Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - April 01 2012 :  22:41:41  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hk: I didn't mean to sound like it doesn't work... it does. I have seen proven benefits in my diesel motor. I'd do it. You'll probably find that your optimum input will be lower, given your rpm, is all. Not the rpm of the motor, but the operating rpm, within it's range! Most people who have actually spent many many many hours running HHO, find, that HHO augmentation is generally more benenficial at high RPM. That's all. Think about the torque curve in a motor! In addition to that, the few peer reviewed studies also agree with this, and, if dig real deep, you'll find that the premier manufacturers of equipment offer HHO equipment that self adjusts according to idlespeed. At low RPM, you want to back off on the HHO. Too much HHO, and your mileage actually goes down in a lot of cases. Like anything, you need to run it and do a few months of experimenting and analyzing and then stuff becomes more clear, as to what is really beneficial and what is just "theoretical" - that is what I have found.
Check out Mark Dansie on the latest episode of Smart Scarecrow - there is a guy who has LITERALLY observed and measured the output on hundreds of HHO devices, and, has had labs & engineers do independant evaluations of hundreds as well. In fact there is probably no one on earth that has looked at more. It's inherent in what he does. Listen to what he has to say about them. incidentally, when he talks about diesels, it is my belief he is referring to new (often turbo) diesels. They are a whole different breed from the close-to-rudolph-diesel design top dead center motor. They actually have a pseudo-power band, and are not true top dead center. The single biggest mistake people make with HHO is get anxious and start running it before its clean. If your product has strong color in the flame: ITS NOT CLEAN. Hydrogen flame is almost invisible, so why would your flame have color? Electrolyte is why. It gets trapped inside the the bubbles as they flow through the system. If your engine manifold and combustion chamber is entirely made of iron and steel, you have less to worry about. I scrub in the bubbler using screen, fine mesh, then I run it through a media filter to dry. If, in a gas engine, that is made of aluminum or magnesium: you have a lot to be worried about. The worst enemy of aluminum is hydroxide. That is unless you don't mind your intake turning into this:

4.4.10 Reaction of Aluminum with Water and Sodium Hydroxide

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by - kcarring on April 01 2012 23:04:39
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - April 02 2012 :  00:53:52  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Hkalan
Kcarring has a very good point there about Ali parts, but being a diesel I wouldn't think there would be to many Ali parts on it
This is one reason I refuse to use an electrolyte - as the same result can be achieved without it

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 02 2012 :  06:33:10  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen

Thanks so much.

I am very interested in NOT using electrolyte

I have seen others refer to Mark Dansie in articles and videos.

Thanks again !

Alan

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - April 02 2012 :  07:56:33  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i guess we are in a position to do some testing among us now that 49er and SD have working cells
We could all do test with and without electrolite added,and also perforated plate verses solid plate.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - April 03 2012 :  22:38:59  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'd be nice to get away from electrolyte completely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 04 2012 :  04:56:45  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Afternoon,

Since I see all the good things happening here, I have ordered 6 Dry Cells ($150 USD for 6 units is the minimum quantity order), from a factory here in Hong Kong (most likely made in Mainland China), to put together a Dry Cell System for the new Diesel Generator on the 55 foot vessel.

I have no Oxygen sensors or computers on the engine, so I should be able to get reliable results without "Sensor" complications.

Here are the spec's of the Dry Cell that will be here on Friday.

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - April 04 2012 :  07:31:21  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Alan,
So, Those are $25. each ?
That's an Awesome Deal !

=============================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 04 2012 :  07:44:19  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Factory direct has its benefits LOL

They have several sizes... Some round, octagon, rectangle.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2079 Posts

Posted - April 05 2012 :  22:23:14  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would like a few of those to try alan. could you let me know what shipping and total cost would be for two of those?

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 06 2012 :  10:14:26  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey SD,

Here is a better image of models of the brand the factory produces.

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - April 06 2012 :  22:11:28  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i did post this comment befor but it seems to have gone??
But anyway-at 12 volts 10 amps produceing 2 lpm would give it a mmw of 16.66
Please order me 100 of these cell's lol.
I think some calculations are just a little bit out here
But none the less-very cheap.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 07 2012 :  01:09:34  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey TM,

They may have some swamp land in Florida they have for sale as well !!! LOL

BUT... it is worth a try to see what they actually do in real life !

At that price I could not pass it up for my own learning, since I do not have a large shop to cut and drill stainless steel !

Alan

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 07 2012 :  23:51:05  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Easter,

The full Bio-diesel observation !!!

Turned on the generator at 9:00AM and the wind what circles the vessel has the smell of KFC from the bio-diesel exhaust. Seriously... It smells just like you have walked behind KFC where they have their ventilation fans exit the building !!! Too funny.

Everything is running well, but makes me hungry for fried chicken !!

Alan

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 08 2012 :  07:00:21  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Perhaps my mind was over controlling my smelling... The smell has gone now. It may have been some fuel that was on the block when I had the fuel filter off the engine when I first primed the fuel lines... The girlfriend only smelled it for a bit, but it is gone now...

One thing I can say I Do Not smell... and that is the heavy oil small of normal diesel... That is very nice !

Alan

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - April 08 2012 :  07:21:09  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KFC-Kids faterning center

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2