International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Circuits and Diagrams
 Adding LEDs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike24

USA
8 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  03:02:05  Show Profile Send Mike24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a diagram I'm running the ssg I want to add some LEDs to this circuit I'm a beginner at this . I would really appreciate ... Or if any of the members live in southern CA 3102700546 cell

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Kultus

Australia
614 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  03:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Kultus's Homepage Send Kultus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WELCOME MIKE to the IAEC!! Great to have you aboard!!

Just so I know how to answer your question correctly,

What are you trying to achieve by adding LED's to the SSG ? (LEDs cannot replace the neon)

Never give up, it only takes one crazy Idea to go right, and your not so crazy any more - Kultus 2011

You must be logged in to see this link.

Facebook: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  03:45:26  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran about 108 5mm LEDs right off my SS SSG, in place of a charge battery. Worked awesome, I was suprised. I wired them in three series, so 3.2 X 3 = 9.6V, for example, then just ran the circuit at high frequency so i didn't cook them. You'd think you'd wire them high, like 14 - 19V, bur it actually worked better to lower the input drastically with the high frequency and run them at 9.6 or 12.4. Lit up the whole room at night. Just like a commercial bought 2-4 watt LED AC lamp. Worked great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!

Edited by - kcarring on March 13 2012 03:48:09
Go to Top of Page

Mike24

USA
8 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  01:55:29  Show Profile Send Mike24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kultus: I'm not trying to replace the lamp. I'm just adding LEDs for fun. Using the charge side instead of charging a battery, do you think that would short something out? Should I take measurements of the charging side before adding a whole bunch of led lights? How would I measure the millamps?

Has anybody used a faraday flashlight ( a shake light )? Take the parts out of that and move the coil next to the magnets on the rotors?
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 22 2012 :  03:46:36  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Mike

Are you talking about adding LEDs off a generator coil on a wheel based SSG, or are you talking about driving a LED bank with a solid state SSG?

Thanks

One rule of thumb is if you add a lot of LEDs, i.e. parallel banks of LEDs in high series, say 4 or 5 in series and many banks, then you can back down from there, knowing you won't fry what you've added. That's how I started, added way more than I thought I could power/fry, and steadily backed down. Also start your SSG with a high level of base resistance to keep it tame on the output, while u begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2079 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  20:29:42  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike, welcome again to I.A.E.C. you can run L.E.D. right off the charge side just like Kcarring said. also, you can take a extra coil, not hooked up to any transistor and use a full wave bridge rectifier to power the lights also, do you have a meter that will measure the Freq? if so, just adjust your set up to a lower output and it should drive the lights just fine. alot of us use Skype to chat back and forth, it saves on phone bills and its free. again, welcome aboard.

Skype user name: SD3Txxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2079 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  20:32:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have not tried to use a coil from one of those shake flashlights yet, sounds like a idea, hey mike, if you have pictures of your set up, try and post them, then we can help you a little better.

Skype user name: SD3Txxx
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  00:59:49  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey mike24, first i will post a pic of a diode, what it looks like and the wiring diagram for one, then i am going to post different ways of how you could hook up it (series and parallel) directly to the charging side, keep in mind that i only used a few to cut space on the diagram, you should use more than the amount i posted. also i will post how you could wire them up if you have a generator coil on your design rather than using the charging side. all of the pictures i post will only work if you have a spinning system rather than a solid state system.

"Visualize it, Make a Plan, Make It Happen"

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2