International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Help each other to help yourself grow
 voltage dividers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - March 06 2012 :  15:59:06  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All
I know we can make voltage doublers with cap,s but dose anyone know if we can make voltage dividers with cap's?
I have had a look around but cant seem to find anything on such a circuit.
I know we can use transformers-but to many losses with them.
Any info would be great

swim at 90 degrees to the current and gain speed in two directions

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  00:05:33  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tinman...

I don't know if this is what your looking for but it looks very interesting.

You must be logged in to see this link.

A pot or rheostat can be used to do voltage division.

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  03:08:18  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TinMan

The usual way is to use resistors , obviously this wastes power in the form of heat. Depending upon the voltage and the required current it may be possibe to us an op-amp or even a dc coupled ic audio power amplifier.

Need to know the voltages you have in mind.

ron
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - March 08 2012 :  06:36:12  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
what i was hopeing to do was the revers of a cap voltage doubler--some how????
The reason the poppy voltage doubler works better and more efficient that a stepup transformer is reduction in heat,reduction in resistance once the caps get close to there rated voltage and no inductance to loose from either.
I was hopeing to halve the voltage and double the current lol,but it's not looking good lol.
But i will keep thinking about it.

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 08 2012 :  09:01:55  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tinman...

I came across this circuit to step down DC to DC. The LM78XX is a voltage regulator and comes in different voltages i.e. LM7805 is a 5 volt regulator. I'm not sure if this steps up current as the voltage is stepped down.

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - March 10 2012 :  05:04:00  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi poppy
Thanks for the info and i will look into this further.
What i need to do is halve the voltage and double the amps sort of thing and transformers are so hungry with loses.
I will keep hunting .

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 10 2012 :  06:44:09  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tinman...

I found this information and might be just what you need.

Go to Top of Page

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - March 11 2012 :  19:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been asking THIS already but had limited to no responses =/ . TM thank you for getting my question noticed more.
an I am working on such a circuit Already. You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - March 11 2012 :  21:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes ive seen this done in the past Tin, but im not sure how efficient it is.
from what i understand there is a good deal of waste but it can be done.

there are a few vids on youtube with people doing it but they call it capacitive step down transformers

[on the gravy train with biscuit wheels]

Edited by - Magneticitist on March 11 2012 21:43:41
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 12 2012 :  12:30:13  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mag

That is a good video I will have to try that with my HHO and just the SS. Thanks

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 12 2012 :  15:06:55  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@49 That is a direct response video after the guy read George Wiseman's document I posted in the pdf section "capacitive Transformers" - that is where he got his info.

you can see george uses the technique in his machine, here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  08:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done it - the C.S.T Capacitor step-down transformer. the more in the parallel side will give you high current or higher farad caps in the series. And it should work with AC no bridge rectifier needed! =D

and yes i spelt capacitor wrong hahaha

LYKENTH

Go to Top of Page

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  16:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the better version, i run the posative and negative to the one set, before i was only useing half the circuit - explaines why the first cap blew up lol. but i was pumping high current into it. this is ment to use voltage to make current so that will also cause a melt down. this is the better version.

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - March 15 2012 :  07:29:59  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi lykenth
this is good news indeed.Great job there on your setup.Any chance of a scematic?

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - March 30 2012 :  18:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TM,
I did show the schematic in the video.
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - April 05 2012 :  08:44:40  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea but it was dark and i couldnt see it to well lol
Maybe it was the beer lol

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2