International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Concept Ideas
 Magnetic Pole Face Shaping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  04:43:18  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you pinch to similar poles of a magnet together as the gap closes the lines of force compress and begin to move outwards at 90 degrees to the face of the magnet, thus producing a very focused pole. So if two electromagnet coils were positioned in a similar fashion in a pulse motor then the cores could be positioned further away from the rotor. Hopefully this would produce less core drag.

ron

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  08:49:56  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

I do not totaly understand what you are saying.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  09:27:07  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

Do you mean a scalar N ??

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  10:55:58  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug

I believe ( after checking ) that it could be described as a scalar N

Hi Alan

As you know with your own rotor / core experiments , the drag that can exist between the rotor and the core ( due in part to the core retaining some degree of magnetism ). So one option would be to increase the distance between the rotor / coil and to compensate increase the power to the coil ( wasteful + increases retained magnetism ). So if two coils were used , with say the core faces cut at 45 degrees with respect length of the core and then so arranged as to have both faces of each coil parallel to each other ( thus forming a "Y" shape ). This would produce a very strong magnetic pole when energised but would have a very small drag footprint when switched off.

This would then allow magnetic field switching . Example.... take two small identical magnets allow one magnet to support a weight ( that it can only just manage to support ) on its pole face edge. Bring a similar pole face towards this magnet and the strength increases but if you bring an opposite pole face into position the holding magnet will drop the weight.

ron

ron
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  12:47:54  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

It sounds like the scalar N magnets I have on my old bike wheel. You put 2 N together glue them and mount to the rotor and you get a Knife edge N magnet for the switching.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  14:08:18  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug

Yes , i see what you mean but in this case you are not only reducing the magnetic footprint of the rotor you are also reducing the footprint of the magnet hopefully giving more kick and a lot less drag.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  14:19:49  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

I guess I will have to Waite and see that one. Thanks

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  16:23:20  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug

Well it is at the moment only a concept , but hopefully it may get a few more replies / feedback , just in case its been done before etc.

ron

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - February 29 2012 :  06:54:50  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ron-o
What you have described sounds like you want to set your coil's up as buck coil's ah-la L.A.G setup-it works exactly the same-see description in circuits and diagram's section.
You are spot on with your asumption that the magnetic field will increase at a 90 deg angle to the coil's thus the reason the L.A.G coils are at 90 deg to the rotor magnets.
So now you will totaly understand how the L.A.G works and the rotor speeds up when a load is applied without drawing extra current to run it-because the core between the run and generator coils increases in magnetic strength as a load is applied to the generator coil because the generator coil starts to produce an apposing magnetic field to the run coil. So now you have the two north fields metting at the core creating that magnetic field at 90 deg to the rotor magnets.
Like my avatar use to say-swim at 90 degrease to the current and gain speed in two directions . lol

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - March 02 2012 :  03:06:16  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TinMan

Thanks for the update , it would seem you got there first.

All the best

ron
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2