International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Concept Ideas
 Solar wind turbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - February 18 2012 :  18:29:53  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking an this idea popped into my head - dont know if its been done or said before ok =].

Well as the name implies - its a wind turbine but the blades them selves are also solar cells. for safety i think it best the turbine be a vertical axis as the pannels can be supported both ends. The shape of the turbine isant a cylinder though, because it would only get light from the sides - but rather a triangle shaped cylinder, so the cells face at an angle towards the sky and its still capable of catching the wind like a turbine.

Thats my concept

Lykenth

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 18 2012 :  19:25:48  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like the way your mind works!

Surface size of the blades vs what size cells can be placed.
Connection of current between cells and spinning object.

I'm seeing issues with friction and connection.

But, if it wasn't for thoughts like this, how the heck would they have come up with solar roofing shingles!

Like I said, Like the way your mind works!

Later edit;

I do hope I didn't come off harsh there... wasn't my intent!

The idea of using something that's already working in your favor and creating more from it, is AWESOME!!

My mind goes towards adding magnets to the tips and some sort of ring outside of the blades to pick-up the energy produced.
Problem with my theory is drag vs production...

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Edited by - olddawgsrule on February 18 2012 19:45:21
Go to Top of Page

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - February 19 2012 :  11:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You didt come off harsh at all - you make a valid point about the friction. :]

I think it will be an acceptable trade off - either way you will be producing power. You could grease contact to reduce friction iv seen and done it with DC motors. The contact could be bearings even or like the good old scalextric - have a soft touching brush.
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - April 27 2012 :  23:56:37  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if you machined spring loaded copper roller brush and used needle bearing's to push against a copper commutator ring's in the center positive and negative . That should reduce the friction and allow constant power transfer , just put a weather cover over it to help keep the tarnish to a minimum . Dialectic grease to help with the power transfer through the needle bearing center of the copper roller brush . Or the electronic lube ( the white stuff the name escape's me ATM ).

=============================================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

totoalas

Macao
168 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  12:41:23  Show Profile Send totoalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Idea especially if you you use magnetic bearing or floating rotor I think somebody made solar rotor on a bedini window motor

with four solar cells in quad or square type construction

Another idea is that of Dadhav printer motor where two colis acts as a motor which can be supplied by a solar panel if no wind
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  17:20:39  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys
These are all great Ideas.

Totoalas; Welcome aboard! A self sustaining windmill motor, capible of maintaining a minimum speed with out wind.
Lykenth; A slip ring like a dump circut, or better we can use the stator of an alternator as a generator why not use the brushes on the armature also.
Or even using the solar to power the armature.
ODR; A solid band around the outside of the blades, like 1 of those plastic chopper blades, with JB bike wheel setups.

Now if we can put that all together. hmmm

Growing old is mandatory, Growing up......optional.
He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4424 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  16:21:57  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Those sound like ideas that you all should work on and post back here so we can all see how you are making out with ?? what we will need to make up a name for something like that. There is a naming thread here so lets start up a name for your idea like a solar wind gen.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2