International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 about to setup my bird!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 18 2012 :  14:54:34  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a ametek 38vdc motor I bought years ago for $10.
Thought it was a deal, but....ya, I know, needs too much rpm...

Have new wings for her and want to see her fly!
What she does, is what she does...
Better than sitting in the shop doing nothing.

Question is;
White, black, brown wires.

What is the brown wire??

Always thought that to be reverse direction..
But the bench test tells me it's not..

Is this the 'earth ground'?

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - February 18 2012 :  15:20:23  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

That is my thought on the brown. Touch the brown and the motor case if it shows a short then that is what it is.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 12 2012 :  09:54:34  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Temps have finally come around and it's outside I go to get the 'Bird' in the air!

I figure she'll do me about 200watts.

Just takes too much rpm for her to get to full potential (450watts)

Her final nesting spot is the peak of the garage, but here I can reach it easily and do any adjustments/tests.

After 3 years of procrastinating, she's in the air!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - March 12 2012 :  11:25:28  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

What have you got for diodes on it??

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 12 2012 :  12:01:10  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing more than what's in the charge controller.

When I bought this controller, several years back, I had a conversation with Green Energies (manufacture of controller) and discussed just this (and insured it's use with panels or wind up to 500watts).

They insured me (and showed me on their schematic) that it is already built in.

I felt the battery was bleeding back to the generator still.

Once I dedicate a battery to this, I'll probably add my own blocking diode (right now just using the 'dump load' to the lights).

Care to recommend a particular one?

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - March 12 2012 :  12:13:26  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

In this case where you only have one gen you don't need a controller But you will need a diode or few diodes to add up to out put amps. The controller you are using as all controllers use about 1 amp to run it and that is why I would suggest just a diode of proper amps for the unit. And as a battery controller is you. LOL it won't over charge fast enough that you can't use some juice from the battery that is usable for you.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  18:04:54  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Average winds today where about 9mph, average winds for me (given the time of day/night during Spring, Fall & Winter).

Gusts where up to 16mph (and will get higher 'round here), but the Gennie held up well.

Found the blades to be a bit 'out-of-balance' in higher gusts and need to work on that.
Also found the swivel to be a bit loose (that I was able to tighten down, but need to replace).

With Doug's suggestion, I eliminated the charge controller and added the diode.
Runs much better for charging!

I did see lower voltage on the battery before the switch over and attribute that to 'bleed-back'.
Something I always felt was happening and conversed with Green Energies about (3 yrs ago now).

I have her locked in a fixed position now, my wind direction, and figuring how to adjust the balance.

Honestly I think it's the hub and may need to send it out to get spun/tweeted..

It's not bad, but there.

Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  18:21:56  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. A buddy of mine who is now heavily into wind, started out using such arrangements. One cool thing he did, was let the ac stay ac till it got to the house. From there, he had a CT transformer he fashioned froma cut toroid goin over the direct current after rectification. And a voltage detection. After smoothing through some caps. In very low winds, he charged a small array of 6V's - 4 in parallel i believe it was. They used a boost circuit to charge his big bank, which was 12V. When conditions were right, the circuit detected this, and everything was switched over to a 12V charge controller. If wind died off, back to charging 6V bank, and pulsing the 12V bank. Seemed to work rather well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  18:41:46  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to be the way to go.
Bring AC back.

This motor brings back DC, so it's rectifying within..
Older style..
And it's sealed, weather tight and what I have for now...

I'm looking at another AC type motor and 'very interested' in your input.

Since I'm in a learning process of 'caps', I can see many potentials now for their use and with an order coming for another project (with a few extras), I see yet another circuit coming to my near future...

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  18:52:45  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

@ of my motors on my birds have brushes and that is not rectified just pure dc. but you have to run a diode so it doesn't turn into a motor again.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 13 2012 :  20:08:18  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@all

Right. You're talking Ametek, meaning dc generator. I was thinking PMA. 49'er is right - eliminate the tug of war for the setup to remain a generator and not become a motor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  09:04:40  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Blades can be balanced with just a scales, get a digital scales for grams (Harbor Fright) under 10.00. Make them weight the same and that will be a big start.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  13:42:19  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should probably do that, especially for $10

I use a very basic balance bar I made up for balancing blades I sharpen on some of the yard tools.

This scale may come in handy for those as well.

Thank you

Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  13:50:43  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@olddawg

I helped my good bud get a set of these ( a replication of) sailing at my friends place. Great little design. Any more than 3 blades is a waste, he's found, as are those thin little egg beaters. You don't see commercial wind mills with 6+ blades. Swept area is what counts - this is an easy design to replicate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  16:21:39  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you KC!

I am a proponent for 5 blades in low wind, but with that said understand what you're saying.
A 'good' 3 blade system, with a good motor, will do it all.

I'm still searching.

I've been drooling over this one for a while now and may be my 'Refund' purchase...

Going beyond 5 blades is something 'I' don't see, mainly because of my wind speeds.

Could 'he' pass on the experience/production of what he bought?
Oh ya... What he bought??

Just curious as to how he feels about them now.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - March 14 2012 :  16:24:40  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

The last ones I made I balanced to I think .01 of a gram and they were good to go.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2