International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Circuits and Diagrams
 Load testing a Generator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  15:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, its my first post =D

Iv been working on my generator for a while now, but i come to realise - an this sadly goes for others i did in the past - iv never really done a good load test. i dont have scopes and gadgets as such, so the way i did it was sticking thing ( motor, led, light, resistors ect) onto the bridge rectifier, to the AC or short circuiting it an going... so it does that. No really thats what i do an its *Not So Smart*!

Is there something i could make or do to get a better base understanding about my out puts thats simple.

My thinking is this; Stick a 10ohm resistor onto the AC or DC if it gets warm its producing X amount of power to make it warm, measure the volts and guestimate the amps.
An if it dont get warm - observe how much the generator slows ( if it does ), an if it slow with only a 10 ohm resistor - the generators a fail - bin it an move on.

any help would be appreciated,

Lykenth

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  15:15:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lykenth

Welcome to IAEC and thank you for the Info about the testing of the generator. Looking forward to more of what you would like to know and share.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  20:54:13  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lykenth-and welcome to IAEC.I have drawn up a simple but efective and acurate load test for calculating watt output of a generator for you to try.Hope this helps

Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  21:04:41  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there, welcome on board...:))
Nice to see that you made an account here...^^

About how to measure your output, what i`ve read/seen is that resistor and cap thing wich i personally never done.lol
What i use is just an load like you did with that electro motor and put a analog/multi meter in series with it on the positive.
And another meter for the voltage at the load itself...than you have volts and amps = watts.
This is how i do it so i dont know if theres an better way.lol
But since you have an gen that doesnt slow down when loaded why not do this...
Short it thru a low ohm primary of a transformer and than use the secondary thru a FWBR to a load.
But if your gen doesnt make much milli amps to begin with you should try to get a small transformer :)

Or use Poppy`s Voltage Doubler wich is more like a Voltage Tripler on your AC output and take it from there...

Hope this makes some sence and help you out abit...^^

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  21:05:21  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL TM, always posting at the same time as i do on saterdays.lol
And thanks for that circuit, i do need to try it out :)

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  21:10:00  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol-situation normal-oh and it's sunday here lol.

Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  21:10:35  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Lykenth and Welcome
I agree 10ohms is not much of a load. I had just a volt meter when I started about a year ago now a couple more volt meters (harbor freight cheap)and 2 amp meters I have a better idea where Im at. Still no scope! but Im slow LOL :( Im sure 1 of the other guys may be able to give you some better ideas but I might try a battery, measure voltage gain over time.

Growing old is mandatory, Growing up optional.
He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - February 11 2012 :  21:13:22  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey TJ looks like TM got the jump on both of us LOL

Growing old is mandatory, Growing up optional.
He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

Lykenth

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - February 12 2012 :  10:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Lykenth's Homepage Send Lykenth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinMan

Hi Lykenth-and welcome to IAEC.I have drawn up a simple but efective and acurate load test for calculating watt output of a generator for you to try.Hope this helps

TM, thanks for this it will be perfect =]
There is one thing id like to know - That "Globe" light, I have a 20W globe light in my junk box ( my room lol ) will that be ok to use?

Lykenth
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - February 12 2012 :  16:58:51  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lykenth-the size of the globe will depend on the size of your generator.Give it a try,the worst thing that could happen is it will blow.If your generator is big try a headlamp out of a car.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2