International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Battery Info and Questions
 SLA / VRLA Rejuvenating & Charging (Specific)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - February 03 2012 :  02:39:50  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SLA's VRLA's Specific

I thought I'd open this topic, as these batteries for better or worse seem to really easy to come by free. Perhaps a good idea to share experiences / techniques... myself I have not had a lot of luck; perhaps someone else can start this off.

General Information:
You must be logged in to see this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 24 2012 :  17:09:39  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When pulse charging what voltage do you guys typically take these up to? I see on the side of my 9 a/H SLA it says cycle use 14.8 - 15V.

Do you go up to 15V? (as read while charging, I mean).

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 24 2012 :  19:52:15  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi kc

I do 16.2 max and discharge to 12.0. Have been doing 8 of these for a ups and there were in pairs. So with them I have been discharging them at C5 rate. The UPS sucks them dry in 20 minutes and that is why. I have gotten 140 minutes at that C5 rate and that is what I have said ITS GOOD. There only 3.2 AH and the ups sucks 400 watts AC and they last. LOL

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 24 2012 :  21:25:25  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@49'er thanks... was that to desulphate, or just charge?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 24 2012 :  22:42:45  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi kc

Just condition once back in the UPS it goes back to I think 15.0

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 25 2012 :  00:00:49  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. So far my experience with these has been they are good/decent, or they are toast. I dunno. They just haven't responded the same way as flooded lead acids, but I'll keep playing with them. Fortunately 90% of the SLA's I come by free are good. I have about 48 that are (9A/h's). I haven't even bothered to condition this latest bunch I got, haven't seen the need. For example, in each bank there are 8. So that's approximately 72 aH per bank. I just hooked one up tonight, that had been sitting around for over a month, remained at 13.05V. I hooked up 65 watts to it, a TV set and a VCR, it's a 12V combined unit. My kid watched it for about 4 hours, and now, at rest - the battery is reading 12.8V. I'd say that's great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by - kcarring on March 25 2012 00:04:17
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - June 19 2012 :  00:48:50  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Junk (Free) SLA project continues

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - June 19 2012 :  09:56:26  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi kc

That is a good battery bank I like it. Good luck with it and I think your spot on for wattage.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

dem

Pakistan
6 Posts

Posted - July 27 2016 :  19:19:30  Show Profile Send dem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi everyone.
i have SLA 12V 9AH,TOTAL 6.except one other are going up slowley with every D&C.here is what i have and what i am doing,SS SSG single transistor,coil 85 feet long 1.1mm wraped around the spool,nothing is geting hot, little warm.i am charging it with 280 ma.i have charged it 30 hour,20 hour no improvement.after 10h rest i discharge at 330ma to 10.5v.total dischrge time 3 hour and its not improving.no shorted cell.any advice.none of the batteries are going to top end i.e 16.2.should i charge them at c20 rate which is 450 ma. Thanks.

Edited by - dem on July 28 2016 17:14:53
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - July 29 2016 :  11:36:39  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi dem

Your battery might be out of water?

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

dem

Pakistan
6 Posts

Posted - July 29 2016 :  13:39:55  Show Profile Send dem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dough
i will check today and report.how good is my D&C should i charge them at 450ma which is c20 of these batteries ?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - July 29 2016 :  15:44:23  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi dem

Yes c20 should run it for the amp hr time

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

dem

Pakistan
6 Posts

Posted - July 29 2016 :  18:39:38  Show Profile Send dem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dough
i have checked the week one,all cell are wet by look but i have put little water in it.what else i can do,it has 7 D&C on it.
am i discharging it slowley at 330ma.please advice.
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - July 29 2016 :  20:14:25  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi dem

What you have is all you get with the SLA. The are made as a special use battery and the throw it away. LOL you need to get them early and before they dry up, but what you have is all there is. I have had many of the and 50% are bad (junk) 20 % are back to 100% and the last 30% are in the middle so use them where you can and together to make one good one.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2