International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Jig's, Coil winder jigs, Core molds/jigs and so on
 The Core
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 16 2012 :  06:30:25  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Poppy.

Your not the only one... My girlfriend and I were on the floor in laughter when it happened...

I made a quick batch of Black sand with the epoxy and loaded the core with the Black Sand Epoxy mix...

Talk about learning from mistakes... hehehehe

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - February 16 2012 :  10:27:20  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan...

Believe it or else, the first loose oxide coil crashed into the rotor tearing the foil tape and I almost had the same mess you did. Going to secure the coil so it won't slide on the board. Maybe it will prevent the inevitable. I also put on a second layer of tape in hopes it will hold securely.

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 17 2012 :  05:00:00  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey SD...

One shot of Wild Turkey and one shot of Nyquil... mix/stir and drink... you will sleep for 24 hours, sweat out the badness, and feel like a million dollars when you wake up.

Learned that trick from Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (Gonzo Journalist)

You must be logged in to see this link.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 19 2012 :  04:56:36  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey SD

Is your Fe3O4 really fine powder ??

I just got a 10 pound bag and it is really fine grain. I made 4 cores by putting wax paper in the core of the spool and used the space heater to get the 90 minute epoxy to set faster.

Once set after 2 hours, the solid core slides out easy with the warm core with wax. I use gaffer (duct) tape at each end of the coil.

Am thinking about gluing plexiglas ends on the raw core and then put teflon pipe thread tape on the core to then start to put on the wire... That will not insulate the field around the core like the PVC... And no drilling or sanding required !!!

I Still use magnets when the core will set too.

I like the black sand I get from the beach better !!! But now I can compare the two.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - February 19 2012 :  14:44:00  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys...

I have discovered that the compressed black oxide works better with my 5" rotor than with my 8" monitor base. A magnet brought close to the bag of oxide attracts very well. When it's mixed with epoxy it seems to lose some of its magnetic properties.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - February 19 2012 :  19:11:31  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi SD3T

I think that will allow the magnet N move around. IMHO

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 20 2012 :  06:49:34  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

SD, your core looks great... looking forward to know the results !!!

I made a Epoxy Cap mix with tightly packed center (without epoxy) the same way... just to see what would happen.

Works fine after 2 hours of cure time with the 90 minute epoxy !

I will stay with the full epoxy mix for all my cores in the future, but it has been fun trying different methods... one was with one hanger wire in the middle of the Black Sand, and one was a Black Sand/Air Core (a clear bic pen as the center of a 7/8 inch diameter core surrounded by black sand epoxy mix).

All seem to work well on the small CD rotor with 4 magnets !

My focus is to eliminate cogging if I can.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - February 21 2012 :  08:51:47  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everybody...

I can't find 90 minute epoxy here, all that is available is the 5 minute variety. Actually it's workable for about 10 minutes and sets rock hard in about an hour. The mixture is just sticky to the touch and looks and feels much like tar. A popsicle stick is used to mix and press the mixture in the mold. The latest spool was made by gel gluing the spool ends directly to the set mixture core. Some was left over so a ring was formed to see if it would work as a joule thief.

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 21 2012 :  09:33:39  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Poppy

That is great... Can't wait to see them in action !!!

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - February 21 2012 :  11:28:15  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi SD...

I'm going to try and wind it today and give it a try. Magnetic attraction is quite high and it should work right away.

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 22 2012 :  08:30:40  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello

I am putting on the wires this week to run the tests on the different cores I made.

I still feel we can gain more efficiency with the right core... The magnetic force is what gets these going, so I will continue to be creative on that side.

I already see a major loss of eddy currents and faster RPM's with the black sand and Fe3O4. It can only get better !!!

Alan

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - February 26 2012 :  00:37:36  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello...

Test Update for the "Single Hanger Wire" in the Black Sand Epoxy Core.

I had been testing the core that just had ONE hanger wire in the center that was packed with the Black Sand around it, but after 3 days of 4 hours of operation per day... the ONE wire became magnetized... when I took the coil off and dipped the front of the core into the bag of black sand, there was a small ball of Black sand magnetically stuck on the center of the Black Sand/Epoxy core where the hanger wire is centered.... Into the trash that core went !!! LOL

Next is the core with the Hollow "Bic" Pen Tube surrounded by Black Sand Epoxy Mix to see what that one can do (or NOT do) !

NOTE: I am waiting for the Apple Service Centre here in Hong Kong to declare my iPhone defective, and give me a new phone under the warranty I have, so I can make more video's showing my results. I feel lost without that clever little device LOL

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 04 2012 :  07:35:25  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi SD...

I used the new core (3/4" shaft glued directly to the spool ends) on the switchable output motor (1 transistor) and it works very well. It is wrapped standard bifilar (side by side) with 800 turns instead of a layered coil with 900 turns for trigger and 1000 turns for run. I have 2 more spools made with Fe3O4 waiting to harvest more wire.

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - March 06 2012 :  23:37:44  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Poppy

Great to read you are getting good results with the Fe3O4 and 800 wrap bifilar coils.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  08:22:00  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan...

The coil that works properly is wrapped with aluminum wire and not copper. The two that are wrapped bifilar with copper and 800 turns are not. Neither will cause the transistor to switch on and off, they are only good for supplemental run coils. I think I'm going back to the coat hanger wire.

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  22:38:45  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Poppy,

I am getting the same results.

I am learning that the Fe3O4 is great as a generator core and also working ok as a run coil, but the trigger is best with Iron.

I am still trying different things... my curiosity of how to lessen the cogging effect is still strong... We are giving the Black Sand a good run !!!

Thanks for all you have tried to compare to. Great information, no matter the result !

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  23:00:05  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan...

I really don't want to give up on the Fe3O4 but the only advantage I have seen is that the input draw is less than when iron is used. I'm going to try one more thing...using a 3/4" galvanized steel core filled with the iron oxide and epoxy mixture.

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 08 2012 :  20:55:11  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan...

I added 200 more turns of trigger and run wire to the coils that would not trigger the circuit and they still don't work. It looks like the heavier aluminum wire creates a greater trigger voltage. BTW the trigger wire is copper.

Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - March 08 2012 :  20:56:36  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi SD3T...

The coils work great for run and generator coils but not for trigger/run coils.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2