International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Solar Power
 Neat little solar heater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  08:41:40  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this while surfing the Net this morning;

You must be logged in to see this link.

Very simple design, seems rather easy to make, lightweight, removable and most of all (to me anyway), goes inside.

Nicely done step by step build instructions.

Like everything, there's pro's & con's to this panel, but I'm seeing 4 locations (possible 6) that this little system could work for me.

I'm looking at building a couple to try out!

Anyone see this before?
Better yet, try it?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  10:45:34  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I have one of the ugly boxes on my house and it does work. The deal with this video is with a south facing window you will get the same sun light in that space and the same heat you gain nothing. You do loose the light and the view. IMHO

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  10:46:23  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dug around the shop for some parts on hand and looks like I'm headed out to the local 'big box lumberyard' to pick a few things up.

With any luck, I may have one of these up this afternoon.

I try to do a video and see where all this goes.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  11:04:31  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 49er

Hi ODR

I have one of the ugly boxes on my house and it does work. The deal with this video is with a south facing window you will get the same sun light in that space and the same heat you gain nothing. You do loose the light and the view. IMHO

Doug

I agree to a point..
I feel the sun hitting a black panel vs my light rug or furniture should produce something better...
Guess I'm about to learn for myself..

I'm also figuring on only using the upper half of my double-hung windows. That way I don't kill 'wifie's plants and still have my view.

Off to the store I go!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  11:25:27  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

As the old dog has learned when the wife barks out an order HE does not rule then LOL 40 years go on 41 I know how to stay alive

Doug
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  09:29:44  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Made the unit up yesterday!
Lost the sun behind the clouds, so didn't get to test it yet.
Looks like most of this week will be overcast... bummer..

Here's the video of the build;

Ran out of memory on the camera, so had to add a caption for the finish, but comes real close.
Anyway, check it out and if you like it, I'll move it to any spot you wish.

Fun little build!
took under 2 hrs total.

I will make a few changes on the next one and compare.
Didn't think about using heavy duty tinfoil instead of the 'cinefoil'.
Used another piece of coil stock I have around here.
The coil stock may have too much mass for how this is designed..

I'll know that once we have a sunny day again.

I'll also use wood for the frames next time.
It will take a bit longer, but the material is free to me ($12 for the screen stock).

Enjoy.
I did!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  11:31:01  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Nice build and thanks for sharing it looks very good hope it works as well.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 24 2012 :  12:08:06  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With yet another free day and some intermittent sun, I'm getting an opportunity to take some readings.
Realize, I'm only getting direct sun for 15 +- minutes at a time.

Back panel @ 85 degrees
interior (through the holes) 89 degrees
front panel 117 degrees

Here's the fun fact;
space between the glass window and panel 97 degrees!

So I decided I need air flow through there.

While digging out some suction cups I have (to make a controlled space, I thought, what the heck,
I'm just going to cut another piece of coil stock, paint it black and mount that to compare.

The metal touches the sash on both sides.
about 3/4" space at bottom and 1 1/4' space at the top (purposely done that way to aid creating a flow).

It's out producing by 20 degrees.

Low-tech wins again!
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 24 2012 :  16:49:08  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May have pulled the trigger a little too quick here..

Though the single sheet heats fast, it also cools quick.
Where his maintains the temp longer.

So... I made a frame and covered it with the window insulation plastic.

Better, but in the long run did not hold up as well.

I like his, I'll call it a 2 stage, unit.
The sealed front stage of the collector holds temp as the clouds pass, still being warmer than the room and passing heat.

I also found that air flow in front of the unit is important.
Being that so much temp is collected and reflected outwards, that space allows air flow through and back to the room.

Will it heat the room?
Not a shot in ....
But, a really cool little panel that explains a principal and:
taught me something new!

Would this 2nd stage increase Doug's can heater?
Don't know, but I'll keep this in my mind as I proceed through my experiments.

Hope someone out there enjoys this experiment.
I sure did!

Fun way to spend a day off!
Beats hauling firewood, oh ya, I did that too....

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

wndywtch44

1 Posts

Posted - March 22 2014 :  23:00:16  Show Profile Send wndywtch44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Know this was a while ago. Did you end up using these or modifying them? I am thinking of giving it a try. Thanks for the instructions and the video regardless.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 23 2014 :  07:43:33  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two stage is the better of the two and I have that one in my bedroom window.
The wife didn't care for me blocking the light in the downstairs window..

This is a low power unit and it will not warm the room..
It does do something, just not enough.
Size does matter, LOL!

It's a fun, easy project and will teach the basic's of a hot air panel.

The interesting part of that experiment was just using the sheet of coil stock attached to the window sash with spacing (3/4" at top, 1/2" at bottom, if I remember correctly). That created a hot box using the window itself. Talk about simple!

I had that on 2 windows downstairs until wifey said they had to go..
One of the benefits of double-hung windows is you can use half the window.
Still blocked too much light for her taste..

Have fun with it!

Talk to Doug about his Hot Box.
His is big enough to actually do something you should notice!

I've seen a few versions of his and one is window hung, so you don't need to drill holes through your house.
Another is done with 'downspouts' vs cans.
Heavier gauged material and very clean looking.

Do post up what you end up building!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 23 2014 :  11:48:26  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to come back here and mention one other thought.

I see a few folks are using insect screens, painted black, instead of cans, downspouts or whatever metals.
I've always whated to try it and see for myself what it could really do.
Now, I still don't believe it has the mass to heat a room, but not block the sunlight and produce something??
It also works with my thoughts of inside the home vs outside (personally, I've always liked this direction).

Just another thought..

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  10:17:04  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ODR

In the winter time it gets down to 4 degrees C here in Hong Kong.

During this time most boats in the marina go to the slipway. This is the time when boat owners re-varnish the teak wood on the interior etc.

I have a small coil of black water pipe. It is a plastic type. The coil is 25 in length, and has never been unrolled. I attach another straight set to the coil that goes to an old van under-dash heater coil that has a 12v fan. I put in a small 12v water pump and expansion tank, and some valves to fill the lines with a 50/50 antifreeze mix.

I set the coil on too of the roof and pop the heater coil w/fan thru a window. Tuck in an old towel in the oped gap of the window where the pipes are.

By the time we get to the slipway in the morning it is still very chilly inside.

I turn on the pump and the fan... Instant heat. It takes about an hour to get the main area up to 22 degrees C.

Using 12v it consumes 3.4 amps per hour.

I am making solar collectors for a few of my boats to heat in the winter, and bypas to a coil that goes in a 200 liter water tank to make hot water as needed.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 05 2014 :  15:22:38  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there Alan!

I did a 50' Black plastic water line last year to the Hot Tub.
Did a flat coil with it, laid it on a flat black metal base and propped it up to allow natural flow.
Was amazed at how well it work for heating up, just wasn't enough for the volume of water (400+ gallons) in the tub, for the duration of heating time.

I never did bother RonO for some math for I could see already I needed higher temps to accomplish the task.

I have seen folks placing the water line on their roofs (like you speak of) and see the benefit of this.
Greater over-all heating mass to pass to the water line.
Of course, my south facing roofline is on the opposite side of the house and 2 stories up...
Just not practical..

I am curious as to what you will build.
Please do share when you do.
I've priced some commercial types and far too much money for what they claim it will do, and we all know what reality is between what's claim and true production.

Please do keep me posted.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - May 05 2014 :  18:53:01  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

A couple of years ago I did the horse tank hot tub for my wife and I used 100' 5/8" harbor frt black hose and one of there 12v water pumps. I got the tank up to 97F but couldn't get it hotter, needed to be 150' to get to 105F or greater. NONinsulated 100 gal Hope this helps

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 06 2014 :  16:02:01  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You used twice the length and at least reached 97F.
I also tried 50' of black rubber hose and had better temps, but still not enough.

The highest temps was from an heat exchanger I pulled off an old frig.
Broke 200F!
But alas, not enough volume..

I intend to sit down and work out the math before I proceed further.

I'm also at 320 gallons of water..

Go to Top of Page

LorieLaven

3 Posts

Posted - July 21 2016 :  14:42:28  Show Profile Send LorieLaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. I want one in my home. Is it expensive if I install one? I hope I can afford it.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - July 21 2016 :  17:19:35  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@LL
The horse trough or the heater?
Both are fun and cheap!

For the heater, it was a fun experiment to learn functionality of a panel/hot box 'inside' the home (something I lean towards) vs. outside.
My experiment lead to the conclusion of just not enough area to make a difference.
Outside the area can be much larger!
Yet then you have to compensate from evening cooling (which can be done).

The sun shinning in on the darker floors is equal to, if not greater than, what the little heater did.
Besides, the floors are warm.

There are some very good designs on 'outside' hotboxes that look very nice.
I'll let Doug go from here.
He has one running and could advise you better.

Go to Top of Page

Elenor Schleicher

USA
21 Posts

Posted - September 12 2016 :  21:22:12  Show Profile Send Elenor Schleicher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one! This is something that I would like to build soon,time to buy the materials.... :)
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Ruiz

Philippines
28 Posts

Posted - March 02 2017 :  16:07:01  Show Profile Send Sheena Ruiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sheena Ruiz
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 02 2017 :  16:40:50  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doug has built one (maybe a few now) that are 'outside'. He has a good handle on what can do.

So many different designs out there. Some make sense to me, then others really don't. Just to weak in production..

I'm prone towards those that have mass involved.
Like the simple can units, yet the gutter 'down-spout" style looks easier and has mass.

Anyway you go at this, think mass. Not just temperature.
That little unit I built didn't have mass, yet lots of temp.
Not enough for the amount of air I required to pass.
Cooled much to quickly.

I posted it as a fun project to learn from.
Take it as it is and experiment.
You may be the one that shows us all a better way!

Go for it and "Teach me something new".
Different, sideways, Hey, I'm open to ideas!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2