International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 Home-made Honeywell WT-6500?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - January 20 2012 :  02:45:17  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Popular Science, the Honeywell WT-6500 got some interesting coverage recently. It is a small, low wind speed HAWT, that utilizes the concept that the speed of a turbine, is faster at it's blade tips, than its central axle. Conventionally one would use the central point, to then provide the direct drive force for a PMA, this one places the magnets on the outer diameter, and the coils beyond that.

Here is the funny thing.

It looks a whole lot like a bike rim LOL. At 5000 dollars a unit. Can you believe that shat?!
You must be logged in to see this link.

Obviously, there are some high tech elements (or, there had better be, for 5 grand!!!) but... after having watched some basic videos on youtube.com of people experimenting with just getting a rim bladed, and spinning in the air... they seem to spin pretty good! Have not seen anyone try to combine the two .. though a few comments relating to the idea...

The Honeywell site claims:

"The Renewable Electric Generation of the HWT is 1,500 kWh/yr on average plus or minus depending on wind speed, height and site location of installation. The HWT offers the lowest cost per kWh in its class and size."

Ok, so at 13c per kilowatt hour (my current rate)the said value in my area (of the power) would be about $195 ... $5495 cost / $195 per year would equal approximately 28 years to pay off. LOL hahaha

So.. given that, it's pretty much "Go back to making fans, Honeywell".

But, it is a novel concept and would prove to make a fun project, experiment. And I highly freakin doubt it'd cost 5 grand. LOL If one were to make it in such a way that the Neo's could be recovered (If you didn't see the value in it..) say, by having them secured but not absolutely permanent, I don't see why it wouldn't be fun, at very least.

I don't think I'd go about it, this way, with the tape, I mean... I think I'd fashion blades, more like Honeywell did... but it serves to see how a 15 minute job performs in very low, almost non-existent wind, mounted way too low.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 20 2012 :  10:12:02  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

We have one of there early ones in town and the people that own it say "YA IT THERE" from that I would say there not a happy camper

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - January 20 2012 :  16:12:01  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't doubt that... the price is astronomical! I did find out though, it is actually 6' in diameter, so maybe the bike rim idea would be pretty pathetic output. There comes a point where you have to decide, after having bought the neos (they are not cheap!) - a realistic prime mover should be put behind it to get good value, ROI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 20 2012 :  17:05:28  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moment i saw the pic...i was like...its an bike wheel with wings...:)
Instead of buying that isnt it better for you to buy/junck yard one bike wheel, make a stator, put magnets on the rim, fill the stator up with coils and you are good to go and alot cheaper to and the experience from making that is always good.
Put some blades on the spokes and you have the same thing from what i can see and at a much lower cost aswell...

Just watch some vids on this and the one you posted but i havent seen one with the stator/coils combo -.-

This isnt difficult to make, thats the good part.
Only the Neo`s and coils will be abit expensive but still way less than 5k us $$...omg...-.-

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 21 2012 :  20:26:58  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the thing with this.Although the tip speed is faster than haveing the generator on the shaft,it would also increase drag torque on the outer edge due to simple leverage.It would also take more torque to get it going compaired to one with the generator in the midle.I have always wanted to try makeing one out of 44 gallon drums cut in half and placed on a virtical shaft 180 deg apart.This would eliminate the need for a slipring type setus as the rotating shaft is virtical.

Swim at 90 degree's to the current and gain speed in two directions while only doing half the work
>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 21 2012 :  20:52:03  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At TM, totally right on the "increase drag torque on the outer edge due to simple leverage" part.

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2