International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Help each other to help yourself grow
 AAA battery charging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  15:53:53  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, last night we lost power!
Hit zero and a street transformer blew.
Patriots vs Bronco's, dude come on now...
I'm a New England'er!!!

Flashlights....
UPS...
I can't see....

Yes, we, excuse me, the Patriots won!
Love my UPS!!!

The AAA batteries though need some charging.
These are NOT re-chargeable batteries..

So I throw the AAA batteries on the circuit and watch them fly to 6.47vdc and slowly start to decline in voltage.

What I've learned so far is, the voltage may jump, but not the current. This takes more time.
This may be the first time I'm seeing current catching up!

The batteries are down to 5.98vdc and dropping (last I saw).

Am I close here or killing these things...

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  16:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if the batteries are in decent condition then i'd try limiting your charge rate so they dont jump so high in voltage, id try to keep them at about 2 or 3vs tops until they want to retain close to their full normal potential when resting. depending on the type of battery overdoing it will eventually cause them to crack and start leaking due to the fact they dont have built in gas ventiliation like re-chargable batts do. if they are not rechargeable i can only guess they are alkalines? never heard of a UPS with non rechargeable batteries in the bank though.

far as an alkaline AAA im used to charging them at a low rate on a 12v charger to the point the voltage starts low and slowly rises to about 2v or so at which point i let them rest. good batteries will want to hold their 1.5v or so after the recharge but aged alkalines may not want to hold above 1.4v or so indicating their capacity has dropped over time.

id also recommend charging an AAA bank with all of them in parallel rather than the 12v/24v or so series. you can just do a heat check on them every 20 minutes or so and if the batteries are starting to get much warmer than room temperature you may want to give the charge cycle a rest, let them cool down, then continue again.

[on the gravy train with biscuit wheels]

Edited by - Magneticitist on January 15 2012 16:32:49
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  18:12:49  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are you using to charge your aaa, I put mine right on the ssg and they charged fine and they aren't rechargeable aaa

"Visualize it, Make a Plan, Make It Happen"

You must be logged in to see this link.

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Poppy
Average Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  19:04:56  Show Profile Send Poppy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR...

I charge all of my AA and AAA batteries on a 1 transistor, 1 coil SSG. Alkaline batteries charge much like a lead acid battery. The carbon or heavy duty carbon batteries don't recharge nearly as well. The voltage in the alkaline clime to their peak voltage slower than the carbon battery and don't drop off. I've noticed that the carbon batteries reach their peak voltage quicker and start dropping off and at that point they will not take a charge. I've also noticed that the alkaline batteries, after a pulse charge, start to leak after only a few charges. Watch for that so it doesn't ruin your equipment.

Good Experimenting...
Poppy
Go to Top of Page

twally67
Average Member

USA
251 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  19:11:02  Show Profile Send twally67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well now if i were me and i am(((lol))) i would try what MAG said and hook them in parallel or in series and charge them up..now with that when you radiantly charge any battery for the first time all kind of things can happen from nothing at all to a high jump in voltage to a slow trickle charge...1 thing is true is that it takes more than 1 shot on the energizer to condition them to charge normally. so what i do is just let them charge the volts might shoot up above the labeled voltage and wait if the batteries don't get warm or hot let them charge the volts will start to drop eventually down to close its labeled voltage (say if they are 1.5 then i would set them up in series and they should rest to aprox 2 volts per cell)after that when they run down and you charge them radiantly a couple of times they will appear to charge as normal..but i have found that carbon zinc or what they call low drain or long life batteries dont recharge radiantly if not at all thats why i only buy alkaline batteries or rechargeables (those low drain batteries are normally the cheapest in price too)
(

sometimes meltdowns though kinda $$ make the best inspirations!!!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 16 2012 :  12:40:10  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thank you 'all' for chiming in!

Mag, the AAA's are for the flashlight to get to the UPS (sorry for the confusion).

I ran them on my 6" fan setup through the Daftman/Bendini circuit (my first circuit and the fan likes it's new home there).
These are Alkaline's (should have mentioned that) and left them in the same holder the flashlight uses.
These are in parallel, so I was expecting something below 4.5vdc.

Just kinda spooked me when I saw the voltage.
Figured it was better to ask, then assume and have a problem to deal with.

Again, thank you 'all'!
Go to Top of Page

fan1701
Average Member

USA
243 Posts

Posted - January 20 2012 :  00:25:04  Show Profile Send fan1701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I charge mine with a 4" radioshack fan ssg. My three pole kit is a little strong for them. I can keepit turned down but the fan seems to do a good job for me. Less leakage.

al

* Not following the manufacturer recommended specs * ON PURPOSE!
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - January 21 2012 :  11:57:24  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi fan

Could you make a video and post findings in a aaa thread in the battery info We need to build on that

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Go to Top of Page

fan1701
Average Member

USA
243 Posts

Posted - January 21 2012 :  22:00:19  Show Profile Send fan1701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love too. Might be a day or so.

al

* Not following the manufacturer recommended specs * ON PURPOSE!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2