International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Battery Info and Questions
 Under standing the battery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  13:42:24  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

What you will get out of this will be from your own questions. I will show a battery that I got from my friend at his car lot and will give it back to him when it is done. So far it was charged with a conventional charger and couldn't even think about starting a car. The starting voltage was 6.03 and was out of water, so I filled it just above the plates with distilled water and put it on the little 4 Transistor SS SSG at max setting around .6amps but it went to + 30 volts. I then turned it down to 20 volts and let it cook for two days. At that time the voltage was at 11.56 volts and I turned it up to the max again. The battery was at 12.35 volts and back to .6amps which is slow but it takes time to rejuvenate the plates. After 5 more days it was at 13.5 and needed to be discharged so it was put on a (1156 bulb) 2.1 amp bulb and drained it to 6.0 volts. This is the only time I ever take a battery that low. It shocks the battery so that the next charge cycle you will know if it has a chance to live. If it takes a charge after that than it will depend if it has a shorted plate or not. I have many batteries that charge to + 15.0 volts but has a shorted plate and that cell won't cold boil and after the charge and rest it falls to below 12.0 volts. There is very little you can do at that point, there is but that will be another thread. Here is the second charge to 15.22 and discharge as follows

This battery is being discharged at C25 approximately 4amps. At the2 minute mark it had fallen to 11.81 volts and that is what I call the stable working voltage. I also selected 11.70 volts to be the cut off point and the time of the over all test was 36:10 so this is my starting point to recover the battery. This morning I had water coming out of the cells because the plated had added soft led to the plates like a sponge, which is turning the water in the battery to sulfuric acid again. When the plates swell it displaces the water and it runs out the top (my fault put in to much). If you have questions from this point I will show Charge two and discharge . NO MOVIE NO CORN. LOL

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  22:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
great test.

i think the best way to do it would be like you are doing, have a charge batt start off at a certain resting voltage and drain it. then let it charge back up to x volts and have it rest and fall back to a certain level of standing. do the load test and drain it again for X amount of minutes.

start cycle again and observe any changes over time, like if the battery wants to drop in voltage a lot slower in the 30 minute or so load test duration than it did when it first started out.

i would like to see as many of these continuous readings as possible.

[on the gravy train with biscuit wheels]
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 17 2012 :  13:46:56  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Charge and discharge cycle 2. This was charged with the 13T SS SSG with the cap/ diode at the same setting that I left off with in charge 1. Charge 1 if I remember took about 4 days, This charge took about 48 hrs. The only thing I can't control is the input voltage to the 13T because I use battery bank which is charged by solar and with all the weather we are having I am lucky I have any juice left in the banks at all. LOL So with that said one would think low 12.?? is all I can say(12.3 max) This is the latest C/D sheet and as you can see the time (capacity) of the battery went up dramatically. This is what the Bedini type charging is all about and what I do every day. This is what this Thread is for and I would like every one to participate in this. What we all do is charge batteries of all types and this is the place to put it.

This battery again leaked out the top as the cells get rejuvenated and swell the soft lead the extra water I put in has to go some where LOL . The base line where the voltage levels out is just about 12.0 so the battery need to go up to about 12.5 under the same load before it would be put back into service. This the knowledge you need to strive for because this the only way to store power that you can use every day.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 21 2012 :  15:41:31  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

As I said early this is what a charge / discharge will look like to bring a junk battery back from the dead pile.. This has been a very good one to track for an example. The first C/D went to 36 minutes, the second C/D improved the battery a lot, to 1 hr and 14 minutes and that if I do my math right so some one check me. That is a 100% increase in battery capacity not bad.

Here are the new numbers 2 hrs even and that makes it over 200% over the first charge and that is around 75% greater than the second charge. This last charge took around 25 hrs and the charger is set on the same spot we started at.. This is what all batteries acid type should act like and when it gets charged all cells should cold boil and if they don't well you can try but my findings say after the 3 charges and no improvement scrap it and move on to the next one.. Unless some one wants to follow this battery more this will be the last post, I believe any one can learn from this as is.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 29 2012 :  17:21:56  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Here is the same battery that has 7 or 8 D&C on it but this the charge cycle 20HRS + a few minutes and it toped out at 15.2. You will notice a O crap bump the knob and didn't get it back where it was originally but its close. This is a C20 charge

Doug
Go to Top of Page

fan1701
Average Member

USA
243 Posts

Posted - January 30 2012 :  01:06:10  Show Profile Send fan1701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er. Thanks for posting the graphs. It really helps to see the results this way. I looked up the West Mountain Radio CBA III and it looks like a good investment.

al

* Not following the manufacturer recommended specs * ON PURPOSE!
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 30 2012 :  11:47:49  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi fan

It does great for discharge but I forgot it also take energy to have it on and that is part of the jump in the graph. I bumped the pot when I went to look at the connections on the battery. LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - February 02 2012 :  11:04:51  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Here is a way that you can tell if you have a cell that is still not performing as it should. Look at the mark it leaves on the paper towel 3 cell from the right is not up to speed. The cell is not cold boiling enough, the black on the paper is soft lead that is still in solution and needs to go back to the + plates. With this in mind a lot more charging is indicated. The battery will still not hold a charge much above 12.05 under a load and it should be above 12.5 under a load. The paper towel is something I use all the time it is a testing tool that I feel is a great tool and cheep.

Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2