International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Battery Info and Questions
 car alternator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  08:51:41  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey everyone, i have a question that hopefully someone could help answer.
car alternators are designed to work with a 12 volt battery, they also have a voltage regulator in them that helps control/monitor the volts coming into the alternator and going out to the battery,
so my question is; say i have a battery bank that equals 300 volts, and i have an alternator hooked up which i want to charge the battery bank, wont it not charge due to the voltage regulator because it will see 300 volts and not something lower than 12 volts

"Visualize it, Make a Plan, Make It Happen"

You must be logged in to see this link.

ccass15n(at)gmail.com

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  10:24:57  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi cass

A couple of different ways but will have to know the amps involved, the one way is a voltage doubler and doubler get my drift. another way is a step-up transformer, this way would be easer with most any amps

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  10:25:06  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Cass, What have you got setup that takes 300v DC ? I'm thinking that you would have to put the battery's in parallel and charge em that way it would be 12v with a whole lot-a amps .. Or just a couple at a time .. 49er should be able to get you going on this one .

EDIT : speak of him and here he is ..lol

==================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

Edited by - Kudzu on January 12 2012 10:26:01
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  10:38:36  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol well i plan on building an AC electric car using a set of battery packs, wired up similar to how laptop batteries are wired, meaning some in series and some in parallel, now the final voltage will be around 300-350 volts, maybe, and idk the amps i want yet. but i would like to incorporate an alternator but i dont know much about the voltage regulators in them so idk if it will charge or not..

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  11:26:42  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi cass

Ok know I can come up with a suggestion or two. First use a PMA with a snowmobile belt configuration and that way you could keep your power at max but that would require an axle. So next motors on each wheel and use back EMF to help recharge. Look into F1 they have a recharge system that gives them 80 HP from there electric motors. Next would be the Tesla switch set up, you probably have looked at that. A large window motor can run with 6 volts and I have seen Ricks big boat run on it.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  11:37:04  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the tesla switch is very interesting,
i plan on connected an alternator to an axle on the car, i would like to use one brushless ac electric motor on the rear axle, an ac motor will allow for rejuvenative breaking meaning that when i let off of the pedal the motor will now act as a small generator until i press the pedal again,
its similar to the tesla roadster but i need to hook up an alternator to charge some of the batteries

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  12:16:11  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guy's , I just got back ..
I was thinking if you had an extra battery or two in the system and designed an automatic switch you it auto rotate and isolate the battery's for easy recharge .

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  12:18:12  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi cass

The PMA is a permanent magnet alternator and it will just keep making voltage no regulator. So rpm's is what you regulate it with. This is what a wind generator uses, at a max rpms you get 50 amps so if you go over that rpm you get more amps. The snowmobile belt idea would give you max rpm's off a variable speed shaft. Just had a thought remember in Edison's day they had a shaft from from a water mill and run many many things off that. so you could run one belt to a second shaft and then run many PMA's of that . The PMA's don't have very much drag on start up.. Just food for thought

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  12:46:10  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol you two are on the same idea I have, so this it the complete idea, have two sets of battery banks, one to run one to charge, an alternator on each wheel to collectively charge the charge battery bank, then you can switch to make it the run bank, as long as the car moves it should always be charging

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  14:04:12  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey cass, If a separate battery charger for individual battery's is desired for your system, high Amp relay's could be one way to go .. If you want to charge with individual 12v alternators .. What kind of range are you wanting to get before base recharge ? Oh yea , some laminate solar could be used to charge while it in a parking lot and while driving . To give greater range also.. 49er is the expert on solar, he will probably have real good setup ideas on that one also .

Edited by - Kudzu on January 12 2012 14:04:50
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  16:14:13  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi cass & K

WE will have to wait and see what kind of car or pickup before going solar. See how much room is left and what kind of vehicle cass will be caught in. LOL Also where is the unit going to stay??

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  00:46:11  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so i was looking through craigslist today and found an 1993 bmw for 400 or a dune buggy for 500, i havent found any trucks yet, but i think i should focus on my motor i want to put in it before finding the vehicle, motor sizes range and so do the controllers for them so i need to figure that out first, then the batteries, or maybe even caps if i can... then the vehicle. hopefully ill be able to get a storage unit to work in until its finished

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  03:05:40  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ccass15n

The alternator will produce a 3 phase ac output ( before the rectifiers ) problem is that frequency will depend upon rotational speed and so therefore if you were to use a transformer to step up the approx 100 volt ac output from the alternator the effect of supply frequency to the transformer would also effect its output.
The suggestion to use an inverter is the best way to go.
Also when batteries are stacked to such a potential of 300 volts it is necessary to introduce circuitry to balance the charge over all of the cells.

ron
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  13:59:24  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey cass, I had a thought . If you find a little all wheel drive car the engineering should be a bit easier .. If your wanting four alternators 1 for each drive wheel that is.. There are a couple ways coming to mind to retrofit rotors to drive alternators but, you'l need access to a lathe and probably a mill .. Then you'll still have clearance issues to consider .. If a four wheel drive is found try to find one with a lock in lock out transfer case that way you'l have options of different ways to build and run it.

Edited by - Kudzu on January 13 2012 14:08:43
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  14:13:14  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

The all wheel drive is a lot more to push down the road

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  14:23:51  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya that's the only issue with four wheel drive... but I do have access to a machine shop who is going to help me out a lot... I found a nice dune buggy but now I have the issue with size and little room...

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  14:30:37  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK , Maybe 4-wheel running gear under the dune buggy design .. I'm just spitball-en it's a lot easier to plan for known problems that try to find ways to fix em..

Edited by - Kudzu on January 13 2012 14:46:04
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  14:51:17  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

One of me old buddy's use to take the - side and I would take the + side and that way you see all the problems that can arise so don't take offense. LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  18:27:18  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol dont worry i wont take offense, idk about everyone else though..

does anyone have any good ideas or suggestions about which electric motor and controller to go with

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  19:49:09  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, I wasn't offended ... Like I said I just see a problem with a alternator on each wheel without something linking the wheel to the alternator ... With a 4x4 axle there will be a CV joint already through the center of the hub to connect to and a lot less clearance issues .. I do see your point with the weight as a problem for electric so that's why I said just the running gear then .. If I'm wrong on something tell me don't worry about offending me OK .

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  20:20:40  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

That is why I said early in this thread drive shaft to spin a second shaft to spin many PMA's. The batteries that is selected will also determine how long you can go on a charge. 80 miles on 20 T105's would be good and then any power that was produced on the trip would be extra, but when its gone its gone. Rick just came out with a window motor like he had in his porch and the controller is extra. 8000$$$$$$$ LMAO

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  20:58:44  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if i cant connect the alternator to the wheel, i could make a 5th wheel and use that, also i could use gear training connected to the alternator to get great alternator speeds for low input

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  22:32:28  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey cass, Have you decided what vehicle your leaning tward's buying ? Or have you already got exactly what you want in mind ... I'm with 49er the vehicle type and limitations need to be figured out to start designing a system around it..

Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - January 13 2012 :  23:56:45  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys
Why not just use the out put shaft from the tranny, like the old drum parking brake could run 2 alts without any clearence or body movment problems. A double belt drive pully and shouldnt pull down the engine. Have you thought of turning a regular alternator into a Newman style. No brushes!! same output.

He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 14 2012 :  01:05:45  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think i want to go with either a jeep wrangler, a dune buggy, or a small car, lol i am still looking for the cheapest one to get, there is a bmw for around 500$ which i could easily make that back by parting out the engine and other stuff seeing as how i wont need the engine lol

msmjr, what do you mean by turning the regular alternator into a newman style, i havent heard of this so i would like to know more if you could share anything helpful

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - January 14 2012 :  06:22:29  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ccass
You basicly remove the rotor and replace the windings with a magnet style. Watch this You must be logged in to see this link.
It dosent explain much but you can clearly see the idea. I havent done it yet but its why Ive saved some alternators for the past couple of years. Ive seen others where the convertion was made and put back in service on the car and worked!! But I cant find the video atm. Thought it was neat at the time.

—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 14 2012 :  07:56:43  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ccass-i think everyone missed the big picture here.The alternator will take more power to turn than you will get back from it.If it worked the other way around we would all have free power-we would use battery's to run an electric motor that would run the generator that would charge the batterys that was running the motor????
The way to collect some of the energy back is to use what they call Regenerative braking.This is when your motor is turned into a generator for slowing the vehicle up and transforming that motion into current back to your batterys.The other way to do it is to have your alternator or generator linked to your motor via chain and sprockets.Only when you lift your foot of the excelorator would the generator be conected to the batterys for charging.This could be done with just an ordinary hi current solinoid-like used on the starter motors.

Swim at 90 degree's to the current and gain speed in two directions
>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 14 2012 :  13:51:32  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tinman, you are on the right track with the motor being a generator, that's why I need an ac motor because they do that without any extra stuff like you would need with a dc motor. Also there will be drag from the alternators but not as much as everyone thinks. This is because you wouldn't be using the batteries that are being charged by the alternators, if you were to use the alternators and charge the batteries that are currently being used then that causes a problem and will slow down and eventually stop. It's the same concept if you had your ssg running and had a generator coil hooked up to a bridge rectifier and connect that to your run battery, it would eventually stop, but if connected to a different battery then no issue of resistance

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 14 2012 :  13:59:07  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey cass, Have you ever checked out the EV-1 ? They did recover the energy and got around 90m with AC on. Chevy built it and only leased it then they pulled the model and crushed all but 40 of em.

Edited by - Kudzu on January 16 2012 00:11:30
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 14 2012 :  20:20:00  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Cass-ok i will try to explain in a diferent way.Your alternator is a loss no matter how you look at it.Even if your alternator was 100% efficient it would still be a watt for watt exchange of current.If your battery bank was rated at 350 volts fully charge and you were running from that bank and you second charge bank was down to 300 volts -you would use more than the 50 volts in the full bank to get the other bank back up to 350 volts.The lower the battery voltage the more work your alternator has to do to bring it back up to the full voltage capacity.There is two losses in a system like this
1-the alternator will not be 100% efficient due to losses in the windings through resistance and heat.Also through the mechanical drag of bearings and the drive tran to drive the alternator.
2-Lead acid batterys them self are only around 80% efficient in the way of-if you want 80 amp hours out of a lead acid battery you need to put 100 amp hours into it to get the 80 amp hours out of it.
So when you look at how you want to do it you will end up looseing far more than you will gain-the losses through the the alternator and the losses in the battery itself.
The only way to gain a bit in this setup is to have the alternator only charge once you take your foot of the peddle and use the Inertia of the vehicle to put a bit of charge back into those battery's-Regenerative braking
Hope this helps explain it a bit better

Swim at 90 degree's to the current and gain speed in two directions while only doing half the work
>>>>TinMan<<<<

Edited by - TinMan on January 14 2012 20:24:16
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 14 2012 :  21:57:03  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
note taken, lol, im more of a hands on person so i have to see it happening to understand why it happens before i can say anything else, idk its just how i am and how i learn, but i dont plan on using acid batteries, i am leaning more towards those found in remote control cars, or just regular C batteries wired up in parallel and series, there should be over 3,000 of them and they are a lot cheaper than acid batteries and lighter so it will give me more room, less weight, but i will need more of them... i was always told regenerative braking can only be done with an ac motor, but idk.. also i got the idea of using the alternators charge a separate battery bank from putting loads on the ssg, everytime we put a load on a generator or the ssg it slows down, but if you use the out put of that ssg or the generator to charge a battery it doesnt slow down, so i figured why not give it a shot with a car..but this is long in the making i have a lot to plan and a lot to learn before i can start to gather materials

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  00:02:20  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ccass
Another note on the battery you could pick up a high voltage 1 at the junk yard from a Toyota Prius or some other hybrid about 200v at $200 thats a dollar a volt. LOL As soon as I get my hands on 1 Im going to see if the cells can be seperated, looks like they can.

—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 15 2012 :  01:14:10  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i saw the ev1 in a magazine once but never read into it, i should go back and look at it, seems like they had some really good features in it which is probably why they got rid of it...

msmjr, good idea, ill check the junk yard this week!

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 16 2012 :  07:35:37  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Cass-thought you might like this link

Swim at 90 degree's to the current and gain speed in two directions while only doing half the work
>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 20 2012 :  22:13:50  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the great link, ill deff. be looking into it more, i havent had much time to work on the ssg and other setups i had planned because i really want to get this vehicle build moving along, thanks everyone for the advice and help along the way

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 26 2012 :  00:50:48  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Cass, I just thought about something and I don't know if it's mentioned before ... If you use a system to recover the energy through braking keep in mind around 70% of your braking power are off the front wheel's ... You can play with the proportion's just a bit but, there's not much leeway if you want it to be stable to drive coming to a stop . So , most of your energy recovered will be from the front wheel's and about 30% lighter recovery from the rear . Just something else to look into and keep in mind when designing a system .

Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 26 2012 :  01:07:16  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thats a good point Kudzu, but i think this will apply more towards conventional gas powered cars... i mean in my head and understanding at least, when you have an electric motor and then turn off the motor part of it so now it becomes a generator, and you try to harness that power it will slow itself down significantly, at least thats what i think i will happen, if this is true then the application of breaking force wouldnt matter it would be the application of letting off of the accelerator pedal causing the motor to be a generator now..

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 26 2012 :  21:12:24  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea Cass , That should work for most of your braking but, in the few times when something or someone get's in front of you all the sudden and for wet conditions .. It could be very interesting to stop in a hurry to say the least .. I'd think the principals should remain for weight transfer and brake ratios for fast braking .
As an option save the factory style brake's and have a good backup in-case a sudden stop is needed and for electrical failures and you need to stop in a hurry ..
As another option you could even use motorcycle disk brakes off a big bike to save weight they should work well for a light EV , you should just need a racing proportion valve plumbed in for front and rear . Just some thing's to consider

Go to Top of Page

ccass15n
Average Member

USA
218 Posts

Posted - January 26 2012 :  22:57:20  Show Profile Send ccass15n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i had a similar idea to your motorcycle disk brakes, they only have one little section of brake pad which covers only a little part of the rotor, like a normal disk brake, this would save on weight drastically but be very weak because of the weight of the car, so i am trying to come up with a design that can put more disk brake pads around the rotor of the motorcycle disk,

like a normal disk/caliper braking system will only cover like 25% of the rotor, i want to use a motorcycle disk/caliper system that can cover 50-75%... and it will still be extremely light in weight compared to a car's system

ccass15n(at)gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 26 2012 :  23:55:27  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Cass , The thing about motorcycle disk you have the option to add more brake caliper's if needed very easy . Or use something like thin rotor double piston caliper or quad piston on a motorcycle style rotor .. Custom manufacture is expensive. Also, over the counter part's would be a whole lot cheaper and easy to replace when time come's ..
The big touring bike's ain't light themselves and they stop on a dime with one wheel doing most of the stopping you would have two and rear for 30% also . You would be amazed to look at the small size of the pad's on some model of car's . The pad's build heat and gas hold's the pad off the rotor that's why for racing they slot the rotor.
The main thing is after it's designed and built get your total weight then design a light weight backup system to match . You may not use it but, once in a while . When you have to use it then, you'd be glad it was there.

Edited by - Kudzu on January 27 2012 00:19:04
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 27 2012 :  00:50:33  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey cass-i'd just go for the complete rear lockup system lol-nothing like a good snakey when your approtching a stop sign lol.

>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2