International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Battery Info and Questions
 DIY Edison Batteries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - January 09 2012 :  06:39:26  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few people out there have experimented with constructing their own replications of the Edison battery, which is an amazingly durable battery design. Thought I'd start this thread for info.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - kcarring on January 09 2012 06:40:08

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  16:59:46  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi KC, this post of yours has been moved here since its about battery :)

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  19:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no offense kyle, or to anyone else, but i dont like Edison so i'm not going to play with his toys bahahah

[on the gravy train with biscuit wheels]
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  22:16:07  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edison was an engineer and a business man, pure and simple. Tesla was a genius. Therein lies the difference. Both men made their mark. Edison argued "The gasoline engine is dirty and polluting". His batteries were made with utilizing a minimum degree of corrosion and lasted for 20-50 years. Some are still working, 100 years later! For long-distance transmission, HVDC systems may be less expensive and suffer lower electrical losses. For underwater power cables, HVDC avoids the heavy currents required by the cable capacitance.

Everyone, and everything has it's place!

Edited by - kcarring on January 10 2012 22:18:40
Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  13:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"HVDC systems may be less expensive and suffer lower electrical losses. For underwater power cables, HVDC avoids the heavy currents required by the cable capacitance."

^ that cant be right tho

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  13:42:32  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ALL

I agree with you Mag you can't drag that biscuit through the gravy with out a lot of resistance = DC But rolling the biscuit is like AC it goes through it much easer LOL

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  16:10:52  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL at MAG but i am with you on this when it comes to Edison -.-
Soooo lets get down with the volta pile instead, think a post on that will be good...anyone :))

LOL at 49er, nicely put...very nice :)

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  16:19:13  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"HVDC systems may be less expensive and suffer lower electrical losses. For underwater power cables, HVDC avoids the heavy currents required by the cable capacitance."

^ that cant be right tho

It's proven. Both EHV (sinusoidal) and HVDC are employed now. It depends on the application.

"Canada's many economically attractive hydro sites are often located far from their markets. Canadians have had to pioneer new transmission technologies such as the world's first 735 kV transmission line, which is state-of-the-art in extra high voltage (EHV) alternating current and high voltage direct current (HVDC)."

"In December 2010 Fingrid and Elering, awarded the contract for the EstLink 2 Converter Stations, using HVDC Transmission System. The system, with a transmission capacity of 650 megawatts at a DC voltage of ± 450 kilovolts, will increase the capacity for transmission between the Baltic and Nordic countries from 350 MW to 1000 MW. It will also make the power supply more reliable. The output between the two stations will travel over a 14-kilometer overhead line, a 145-kilometer submarine cable across the Gulf of Finland, and a 12-kilometer land cable. The customers are the Fingrid power utility in Helsinki and the Estonian power network operator Elering, in Tallinn."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!

Edited by - kcarring on January 11 2012 16:20:05
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  23:43:53  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kcarring
Even though I have no love for Edison, Im with you on the battery I think its at least worth having a good look at. Ive already have a few ideas to boost the voltage in a single cell and still keep it small. Just need to find a source for the sulfates for plating.

He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  00:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i guess someone found a way to make the long distance DC doable, but im not quite sure the reasoning there.. nor do i understand how, in any fashion, a long distance DC transmission could be considered less costly and more efficient, but maybe thats not in their agenda.

far as batteries go i think its all about the super and ultracapacitors. wish i could make some quality home-made ones. when it comes to a battery of any kind its just a matter of being able to afford and construct the various metals that give the best reactions and what not, but its still not adding up to the quality of a good capacitor. i feel like regular quality batteries are all over the place to be found practically for free as it is. thats probably why id never take the effort to make a battery, with about $20 bucks worth of junk yard batteries to restore, and about $50 bucks of sulfuric acid mix you can have yourself a 12v 450Ah supply bank. we are so far from phasing out these obsolete batteries we might as well use them like hotcakes for free when people throw them out.

Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - March 24 2012 :  21:29:34  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Mag

I'm guessing it's not far off Tesla technology really. So don't blame Edison for it, blame Tesla lol... The funny thing is, folks like PL rant on about better ways, well yeah, there are and their used and yes it was probably Tesla inspired, get with the program LOL. High voltage, high Frequency Pulsed Current, thinner wires, less capacitance. I guess it depends if you wanna believe the whole "longitudinal wave thing, etc. etc". Fact is, everyone screams "oh.. there's a better way". Yeah. And it's been in use for a while now, read the news. They don't call it what Tesla called it, because if you look at it on a scope, it's pulsed high voltage forward biased energy, with a small AC component... it's not "just AC" - and they have not adopted the term: longitudinal wave, because the scope merely shows a Hertzian wave... Now that's not to say it is exactly the same as what Tesla did / used, of course not - but it's very close to what WE play with, when we replicate Tesla experiments NOT using a true spark gap. Or that's how I see it anyway. In any event, it is far less lossy than long distance transmission of pure AC, and it uses only two conductors for three phase even, instead of three. So the wire costs are less. Anything over about 60 km, it becomes an option, and under, AC makes more sense. In 1000 KM transmissions, for example, it is the ONLY way you can do it, really. (meaning no substations in between)

It's basically what we all play with, on a grand scale, essentially.

Earthquake-resistant thyristor valve towers used in HVDC transmission lines in China

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!

Edited by - kcarring on March 24 2012 21:49:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2