International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Technical Help and Questions
 Help each other to help yourself grow
 setting the pot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 08 2012 :  14:21:51  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a hit & miss for me to get a coil running on my rotor.

There has to be a better way to at least figure proximity of the setting...

My issue; I have coils I can run on a circuit separately.
I had them both up, working nicely together a one time.
Can't seem to get them to play together again...

I'm just slowly adjusting the pot and listening...

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 08 2012 :  15:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how are they setup? two coils in series/parallel via one transistor?

or two transistors? are they both bifilar?

[on the gravy train with biscuit wheels]
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 09 2012 :  15:17:59  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both coils are 400 turn trig's (32g +-), 800 turn run over (22g +-).
Sorry about the +-, but it's an inexpensive caliper and salvaged wire.

I've tried both ways, parallel & series.
I believe series is what I'm after, to carry the voltage but increase the amperage.

You're transistor question is puzzling to me (nothing new on this end..)
I need a transistor between the coils???

I'm running on Poppy's Sampu and the system has 9 transistors up and running right now.
In case this is what you're referring to.

Thank you Mag for the response.
Hopefully I've given what you asked for.

Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 09 2012 :  19:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wait so if you are running Poppy's Sampu Express then you have 8 total coils and just 2 of them are not firing anymore? if that was the case id assume u had it running and noticed 2 of the neons stopped firing or something?

little confused.. Poppy runs 10 transistors on his Sampu so you only use 9?

or are u referring to the Sampu circuit with just 2 total coils and 9 transistors somehow? hehe sorry i need some elaboration there =)

also just to mention if you place your coils in series you get more voltage but less amperage while parallel would be the reverse, typo maybe?

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  15:33:09  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been struggling with the Sampu.
Poppy has got me past the blowing of T's (sequence issue).

I have had 2 coils up and running at one point, but with the issues I was having I never got past that point.

So now I have the circuit running on 9T's (awaiting more neon's to get back to all 10T's)
I have 'a' coil up and struggling to get the second one back up.

Thus asked the question; There has to be a better way to at least figure proximity of the setting...

Yep, typo... Hung my head in shame when I looked back and saw it...

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  17:57:58  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Do you have only one pot on it or more? There are a couple of different ways to do that, Do you have a pic of your build?

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  19:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well for one at this point i can only guess you are running Poppys setout but with 9 transistors and two coils. first, if you dont know if all of your transistors are working properly, you should check that being that they are all in parallel and if one should have been damaged to where it has a low OFF resistance then its just messing everything up and needs to be disconnected. if both coils each have their own trigger wire then youll have to explain exactly how that is wired. if u are just using one trigger wire on one of the coils and the rest of the coils are just run coils then adjusting the pot should just be a matter of making sure you are not burning it out unknowingly, thats a lot of juice. is the problem that it wont run at all or is it just not acting like its supposed to speed or charge-wise?

when i have issues with finding the perfect resistances i pretty much just throw 3 or 4 different pots on there, sometimes through switches, sometimes in series.. just whatever gives me the widest range of variation.. you are bound to find the right spot.. everything is dependent upon the speed of your rotor as well so its not like its set it stone. as long as you have a charge battery connected and a 1kohm resistor in line with your pot it should be ok.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  12:01:16  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what I have running;

The far left is the missing transistor (dis-connected from the circuit).

In this picture, it's running (as it is now with 1 coil).

I was hoping there might be a way to approximate the pot setting when adding the second coil.

I am attempting to do what Poppy did, add the coils in Parallel and only use the original trigger (from the running coil) with all else being runs.

All 9 transistors test out good.
I can switch between coils, meaning run one or the other.
Start position on the pot changes slightly between the 2 coils.

My assumption is the pot needs to be lowered to add the second coil.
More resistance without more trigger (power to run).
The amount, I hoped, could be approximated.
Since I'm on the low end of the pot now (running 1 coil), I assumed I wouldn't start without the ability to go lower.

I hadn't thought of joining 2 pots ....
Or just adding some resistance...
God am I a novice...

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  13:53:24  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I think when you add the coil in parallel you will divide your ohms in half for the over all resistance so the pot you have will work a little closer to the 0 end of the pot should be good

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  17:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well really the addition of your second coil shouldn't be keeping it from running, if anything like u say the pot would just need to be slightly adjusted for speed preference. the main thing would just be getting your alignment right in both coils so that they are both pushing a magnet during the trigger. if it comes to it u could even remove your base resistor or replace it with a 25ohm rheostat.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 12 2012 :  16:03:14  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys!

I'm going to check all my magnets again and tweak them as needed for alignment.
And I do have enough adjustment lower 1/2 or a little better.

Now that my Ebay order came in, I have a couple more pots to check for range.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 16 2012 :  14:30:22  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did some tweaking (found 1 magnet slightly off), hard soldered all connections to coils (removed the jumper connection possibility).
Found a couple of my jumpers were not soldered (fixed that).

I switched coils.
Needed to insure both work.
They do.

Thought if I know the resistance of the second coil, reduce the pot by that amount.
Nah, that didn't work.

In analyzing my coils, I see the difference between them is the core material.
My original coil I used insulation stays (basically, coat hanger).
My newer coils, I've used welding rod (work much better).

Really don't think this is my problem, but I'll put it out there for 'better' minds.

I'm heading back down to the workshop to ponder Mag's thought, remove the base resistor.
Don't have just one here.... Have 9 of these babies....

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 16 2012 :  15:29:22  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention;

I did some research and found I can change the property of a pot.
Correct me please if I'm mis-understanding this.

If I add a resistor between the ground and out (1&2) I can change the basic property of the pot.
I can make my 50omh pot anything I wish?

If that wasn't the novice question, then here it comes....
ground to out is what I assume and connect to out..
No, that's not it... but close..
Is there direction to the resistor (I've tested both ways and find no difference..)?
Ya, that's the one (as I hang my head in shame..)!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 31 2012 :  10:28:33  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone reading this Thread; I did move it to another thread and found that by only running a wire (run side), I did get the second coil up and running.

Issue for the non-start seems to have been adding the second wire (trig side) as I tried to use it as a run.

I'm believing it's a 'bad' wire.
This is 'salvaged' wire, so it's entirely possible.

From further discussion, I have learned that it could be that I have too many different size wires (gauges) between my coils.
Meaning my Primary coil has 2 sizes (trig & run), my second coil both wires are different again from the primary making 4 different size (gauge) wires.

Bottom line; I've learned that the issue was not the pot setting at all.

Solution for me; I need to be 'more' consistent with my coils.

I hope this helps the next person attempting to add additional coils to their rotor.

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2