International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Green Products
 Electric
 TEG Fun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - December 29 2017 :  15:13:28  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been a while since I posted, yet still around and playing. Here's another addition from me.

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - December 29 2017 :  15:23:09  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I'm seeing so far is I need to dig out a larger air exchanger and add a couple more modules. Goal is to hit greater than 5v constant (staying conservative right now) so I can charge some of my electronic's when the power goes out (which it does much too often).

Then it will come to larger items if it works well.

So far, I can produce the same as I do on my wood stove as I can on my little candle camping lantern.
Again, or should I say as always, I wish to keep it as basic as possible, simple as possible, and produce as much as possible.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - December 29 2017 :  17:30:42  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not try..

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - December 29 2017 :  17:31:43  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to try my Big Boy!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - December 29 2017 :  17:50:23  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess he question of the hour is:
What is the Delta we're looking for?

Difference between Heat and Cold?

From what I've learned so far this is the key. Its not so much as adding more heat or cold, as it is the delta of both..

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - December 30 2017 :  15:49:42  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, from what I've learned so far..

It's the temp differential 'Delta T' that means everything. Not so much heat as difference of temp.

I need to reach close to 180F difference to hit the max this unit will do. Well that's not going to happen.. I do have a shot at 100F DeltaT.

I've also learned that the temp off the stove is much too high for the unit when place directly on top. Ambient temp rising from the top is also too high. Surprised I didn't burn it out! Good to see it will take it, but...

I have four more of these modules and need to locate a pair of heat exchangers large enough to place them on. I also order the thermo paste to mount them. I understand this is very important as to get the entire surface in contact.

Paste comes in Wednesday. I'll stop by my local electronic surplus store and see what I can find for exchangers on Tuesday.

I currently see this somehow going on the side of the wood stove since the temp is lower and the ambient temp is better. Puts me fairly close to a 100F DeltaT. Spacing off the wood stove is critical for proper temp/DeltaT...

Good to be experimenting again.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - January 02 2018 :  16:12:46  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Issue 1 found... too small a Peltier! Mine is a 06 (6amp) unit. Need to purchase a larger one.

What I saw was an individual getting 9v from a candle powered. Have now learned it's a 26amp module.

Looks like I need to order one.

Two ordered, I never buy just one... 2-4 weeks before I see them, slow boat kind a thing..

Edited by - olddawgsrule on January 02 2018 17:07:14
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - January 03 2018 :  16:46:37  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I researched some more, I found this:
You must be logged in to see this link.

I know this is a bit smaller a module (this one 60w) than what I currently have for a module (72w), but the setup is correct for both cooling and power generation. And the dollar is right.
Thought being to test as is, but swap out the module with the 400w coming in a few weeks. With the 400w module I figure I can hit my goal, even with the fan (and the fan may indeed be what is required)

If this works, it would be affordable to build. Only time will tell!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - January 07 2018 :  17:01:44  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the toughest things in life is awaiting goods to come in..

That 3 candle Lantern of mine is a 5K BTU unit. Watched a neat little video where this person swaped out the candles for Nip's and made alcohol burners out of them.
Pretty cool idea! Will look into this.

At the end he shows the conversation.

Edited by - olddawgsrule on January 07 2018 17:16:00
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - January 14 2018 :  08:26:10  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cooling unit came in!
It's a 5a module so not expecting much as is. Was disappointed to see the fans are 12v. Little re-work to happen.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - January 15 2018 :  17:05:10  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Step one as to test the unit as built. Well, kinda for the big fan has to come off and I need to know the hot side.

I pulled the fan and tested the module. Actually pretty simple. Just hook it up to a DMM, put a lighter under it watched the reading. I marked out the hot side.

The unit as is (60w) read out max at .95v. Kinda what I expected, low voltage.

Since the Big Boy TEG arrived, time to test this out!

The Big Boy is a 12726. 312w unit. Same process to find the hot side and mounted it.

Readings surprised me. Same surface temp, same top temp (differential being 120 degrees) the Big Boy only reads .25v..

My conclusion is the increase in wattage of the module also means an increase in differential. I don't have enough.

I'll try my 72w module next next and see what the result is. If better than .95v, I'll need to re-ajust my thinking of size/wattage of the module.

More to come...

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
81 Posts

Posted - January 20 2018 :  16:47:59  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a peltier the size of a solar panel, a half inch thick. Or two inches.

Could you make your own with galena paint?

_____
On the fringe of the fringe.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - March 24 2018 :  14:13:49  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I have learned so far from my experiment is it takes a high differential in temp to work well.

As far as placing on top of a woodstove (or like) does not work well, unless.. you separate and cool the opposite.

Can it be done passively, sure, but with a heck of a lot of work and thought.. Can you mount up capacitors to store and release? Yes, I see that as the biggest way of doing it. Yet, just what will it do..

I currently see my small setup as the best running unit (what I started with). Running through my capacitor bank (which I built for the SSG Solar testing) will re-charge my LIon battery pod, with time.

I am yet to see it as something that can truly offset my grid power.. nor am I yet willing to invest in any 'produced' unit that states it can.

This is me talking and only what I have seen and learned. MHO.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2