International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussions
 The Soaker Tub
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  12:57:47  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gone through several ideas to make this tub a very basic soaker for hot weather.

Doug and I have pretty much the same unit which is really a watering trough.
Holds 100 gallons of water and comfortable to sit in.

Issue being filtration and running the pump. Mainly running the pump (filtration works, but needs to improve).

I bought a little submersible 12v DC unit, but over powered it with my 15w panels and burnt it out.

Like the idea the when the sun hit, it would come on, and shut down at night. Well, that didn't work.. Low light not enough, full sun too much..

So the question comes to this: Setup a capacitor bank to regulate or just run the pump on the 18650 batteries and put a solar charger out there?

Capacitors puts me on the 'suns out it runs' and the batteries puts me on a switch/timer/regulator...

All this needs to be 'water-proof' since it will be outdoors. So the KISS principle plays strongly here.

Thoughts folks?

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  12:38:49  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will have to drag the hose down and get it up and running for the grandkids are coming soon, the wood burner is not going to heat fast enough so I will put the hose back into the pic to help. More adjusting is needed.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  12:50:05  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR
This circuit may help with running the pump under low light conditions
Google "mini maximiser circuit"
You could also try a shunt regulator to maintain a safe input voltage to the pump
All the best
ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  17:47:07  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ron_o

Hi ODR
This circuit may help with running the pump under low light conditions
Google "mini maximiser circuit"
You could also try a shunt regulator to maintain a safe input voltage to the pump
All the best
ron

I'm not certain low power is my issue.. I realize low power can be as bad as too much, but really thinking too much is what blew out the pump. That's where I though of capacitors again, but the capacitors don't regulate overage..

The Maximiser goes there and further.
That I will look into more.
Thank You!

As I think about this, Doug's cutoff module comes to mind. Uses capacitors to build and settings I can work with. Low power side seems to work. Over powerage I would think will come from the solar charger. Batteries are charged, anything over is blown away (so to say).

The pump is only a 300mah 12v pump. Low powered (rated as 3 meter, but I doubt that. Only need 1.5 meters). A single set of my 18650's, configured as I wish, will run it a couple hours. My test panels are 15w each (2 currently on this project), given there age, probably 10w units now (so 20w's total I'm judging)..
Given that, I should still be able to charge up in low light (well medium light.. at least).

I'm guessing right now that a decent week, the pump will run all day and 2hrs into the night.
Cloudy week, a few hours each day.

System spec's coming shortly for your comments and suggestions.

Couple more details to work through. And see if this Mazimiser fits in.

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  19:22:52  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR
The mini maxiumizer is designed to ease the start up load of pumps etc
Reading now just how low a demand your pump needs and that you
intend to run the pump continually then this circuit is as you said not really
of much use
You could use a voltage regulator IC such as an LM317T this is rated up to
1.5 amps ( heat sink required )
This would supply the 12 volts you need as long as the input voltage is greater than
14 volts
ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 03 2017 :  08:16:47  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found the unit I was searching for, so here's what I'm proposing to do.

I start with just one of the 15w panels and see how it goes, to the Solar charge Controller (have a couple extras here), to the battery (4x 18650 batteries), to the LVD12v10a controller (should be here on Monday, to the pump (12v 300mah).

Thoughts, suggested changes..

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - June 04 2017 :  10:14:09  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR
Just one question / concern.....is the solar charge controller designed to charge
the Li-ion battery pack that you intend to use ?
Reason for asking is that a lead acid type charger is totally unsuitable
ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 04 2017 :  12:30:42  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good question and thank you for asking.

Answer is yes. New one coming.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 04 2017 :  16:22:17  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ODR

I can't make the amazon work to see what you are using. My camper pack worked with my solar just fine. By the way I will be home in 2 days

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 06 2017 :  16:08:15  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had no idea 5/16 id tubing was hard to come by.. Should have ordered it when I bought the pump.. Live and learn I guess.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 15 2017 :  18:10:33  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New controller came, hook it up, burnt out the pump.. Bummer.

Maybe hydrostatic pressure is not the correct term, equilibrium?
Basically the pump is 2.5ft below the tub. The lines fill to the height of the water level of the tub.
So in my mind, the pump is only pushing 6", not 2.5ft.
Since the pump is rated for 3 meters, should be no issue either way.

So it comes to wattage.
With the regulator on the and starting at 12.8v and shutting off at 11.7v, okay on voltage..
Now to watch wattage.

The controller is not reading (or yet to figure out how to get it to) wattage as of yet.

For now I hooked up a computer fan very close to the same range as the pump to test my theory.

If I'm pushing too much wattage at those volts I get it.

Let's see what the next few days bring.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 15 2017 :  20:49:08  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ODR are you charging batteries and then to the pump or straight to the pump?

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 16 2017 :  16:49:59  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was straight to the pump.. Thinking the LVD would handle the pump and allow the batteries get some charge if the LVD shut down early. Battery and pump connected together, with the LVD between the terminal and the pump, direct to the batteries.

Re-thought this as I wrote the post..

The fan (which will be the next pump) is on the load terminals (which it should have been) with the LVD between the load terminal and the fan (to be the next pump).

Think I had a Dumb A$$ moment...
Happens...

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 16 2017 :  18:45:27  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New direction for your thoughts, run a 12v 4 prong car relay use the control coil on the load shut off for the timer and run the pump load straight off the batteries (no amp Problem) The little load of the controller I don't think will be enough on startup?? the car relays are for 20 amps Hope this helps

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 18 2017 :  15:00:25  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now that I'm wired better, this is doing the trick pretty well.

I've messed around with this Lithium Solar charger and find they shut down adjustment so you don't screw up.
I don't like the low voltage shut-off at 9v, so the LVD is shutting it down at 10.7v.
PV shuts off at 12.6v so I changed the setting on the LVD to start just below that.

For the most part I get why the manufacturer set the controller up this way. Adding the LVD into the system allows me control.

Even with it overcast, the two 15w panels allow it to run constantly through the day.

The new pump comes in Monday and I'll get it on line as it arrives. The fan, using basically the same wattage is doing fine. This hookup should work.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 18 2017 :  15:10:45  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to here your on you way with it.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 19 2017 :  16:34:08  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this works this time.. Next step is the filter.

Really liked the filter you did and did something close last year. I'm hoping for something a step better this year.
I found when I used it no issues, but when the kids did.. Well, kids are kids.. I'm just happy the deck survived them.. LOL

Now if I could get my pictures back up, I'd shot you folks a few..
ICloud doesn't seem to have a way to share like PhotoBucket did, or I haven't figured it out yet..
PhotoBucket is causing me some issues as of late...

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 21 2017 :  17:40:37  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Photobucket is no longer working for me.. Trying a new one.

(IMG]You must be logged in to see this link.[IMG]

Guess I forget how to do this...
Anywho, the link shows you the simple setup.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 21 2017 :  17:42:36  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, I was making it too difficult.. again..
It does work!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 21 2017 :  18:38:42  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Looks very nice, glad it works. Tell us how well it holds up.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 22 2017 :  16:53:02  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the setup so far and I will update as I proceed.

Item 1 is my pump may be drawing more than rated for the batteries do drain quicker than I first thought.
Full sun to even mostly cloudy it runs very constant. All I really need.
Weird part is when I put the same pack on my 'converted' Joule Ringer (draws 600mah), it ran for an hour.. I never did run it long enough to time out (also didn't have the LVD on it).
I will make up another pack and test again.

Item 2 is my setup is in the sun and I need to cover it. Just the sun beating down on it is adding heat I don't want. Easy enough fix, just needs to be done.

Moving on to designing the filter system.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2