International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussions
 Home Power very interesting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 19 2017 :  09:38:05  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Get your corn and watch very good.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Luciano
Average Member

212 Posts

Posted - March 21 2017 :  15:44:54  Show Profile Send Luciano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey those battery rock...
I loved that video.. nice find.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 21 2017 :  17:22:42  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Luc

That is what I have been working on down in the powerwall thread. Its the way the that we will store solar now.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

Luciano
Average Member

212 Posts

Posted - March 21 2017 :  23:42:35  Show Profile Send Luciano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well after seeing the video, i did some reading and stumbled into an interesting article on the tesla power wall.

and i think it is not only for tesla power walls, but for all of them out there:

quote:
The PowerWall is for three different groups

The economics don’t make sense for most customers in North America, but some will find it worthwhile:

– Customers who highly value staying powered during blackouts, and specifically want a battery. A generator would be cheaper, but the battery will be quieter, quicker to start, and avoid fuel storage.

– Customers who want to get off the grid entirely, in low-power applications at remote locations where a grid hookup (or upgrade) is prohibitively expensive, or with very expensive power

– Early adopters who enjoy being able to show off the sleekly-designed PowerWall to their friends. It worked for the Tesla Roadster.

After viewing the video, i was dreaming of installing such a system...
after doing some reading i am now aware that it would take a really big solar system to be able to live off grid.

at least when you are living like me in a big city in europe, you dont have the physical space to install such a system.

Luc
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Ruiz

Philippines
28 Posts

Posted - March 27 2017 :  21:37:25  Show Profile Send Sheena Ruiz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the stuff worth knowing: You must be logged in to see this link.

Sheena Ruiz
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 28 2017 :  08:32:07  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DON'T LIKE THE ADD BLOCKER

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 28 2017 :  17:04:19  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sheena Ruiz

the stuff worth knowing: You must be logged in to see this link.

Sheena Ruiz

This is part of what I spoke of in the other thread. Be careful of the statement of going green! Sometimes the costs do not equate.

What Doug is doing is a bit different. Costs are much lower.
The biggest item to me is his approach of voltage values and how to increase the bank's capability.

With Tesla's system the batteries would required replacement at pay-off time.
With Doug's, if he proves his theory correct (which I see it is and will), goes far beyond.

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 29 2017 :  11:16:27  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Ask your questions, I think I have your answers.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 29 2017 :  17:20:53  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I probably mentioned to you before what you're doing in reducing values of charge has intrigued me.

The statement of Ni-lion batteries is if to be stored, store at 3.85v (if I remember right). If stored at full capacity it kills the battery. Kills, may be a bad word, but reduces it's capability enormously.
So your charging to a level below that certainly will increase the batteries life.

The numbers I've yet to run, yet what you're doing has so much potential. Real numbers we shall see from you. And we all know, you will show the real numbers. Reason we're all here... The truth!

Reality in my mind: If the voltage rates are lowered, then the bank needs to be greater to compensate for duration of dis-charge.
It's that value of cost I'm evaluating.

You're getting batteries at pennies on the dollar. I'm slowly collecting for free.
That kind of cost you just can't beat.
Those that have to buy, even at wholesale pricing, are going to find it hard to justify.
Just look at what Tesla is charging for what you get...

Watching, reading and learning!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 29 2017 :  18:05:04  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I am buying from Ebay and I never pay over 4.00 a battery (6 cell) and the last 50 batts I just got were 2.95 each including shipping. I am cleaning up my old lead acid Junkers and took a pickup load to the scrap yard last week and they paid me .04 a pound .more than I paid for them 8 years ago. LOL so what I have learned with this is I don't have to water as many batteries. Lithium cells will take more time to put a pack together but it will I think last a lot longer in the long run. My wife just asked me about the camper pack and I showed her what the pack was valued at in amp hours because she new what we lugged around with the camper and she was very impressed with the weight savings alone, the new pack 22.4 lbs the old batteries 176 lbs. and the storage was 310 AHS. vrs. the new pack 384 AHS. The great thing for you is you have the correct C/D unit you need to do the job and that is still the only one I am using. The only thing you need is knowledge and be willing to get more cells, you have solder, soldering gun and wire and then build on your packs that you run more and more things in your house to save more and more.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 30 2017 :  16:40:41  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We use our batteries different, as will each of us out here.
You use yours on a constant, were I use mine as a backup or weekend (garage/workshop) thing.

I found not only was I wasting energy, but the LA's don't like being used this way and changed over to a Grid-tie inverter so everything produced is shot back into the house system.
Didn't cure my battery issue...

I like these Lithium's mainly because of their storage Life-span. Charge to only 3.85v and they hold for almost a year.

My LA's may hold the voltage, but the wattage has left the room and the damage done.. Oh My am I learning about that..

Like I say, our reasons are different, but the goals are the same. Something better that we all can use!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 30 2017 :  17:03:09  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Said

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2