International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussions
 Sal Ammoniac Battery Additive
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 19 2017 :  11:23:28  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR,

Chemically, the fertilizer is the same as the flux block. The block is extremely hard, and difficult to break into small pieces. Chunks do quickly break up into a pile of powder when dropped into water. For our purposes the ammonium chloride powder is the best option, at about half the price. Good find.

Hi Ron,

The test I have right now has a white line across the plate at the top of the water, above the clean area of the plate. (After 32 hrs). This indicates the lead is wicking the dissolved sulfate, which is then redeposited with evaporation. I don't think there is a chemical reaction, only solvation. Lead sulfate does react - explosively - with Boric acid. The fumes from this reaction are toxic.

_____
On the fringe of the fringe.

Edited by - Jerry Volland on February 19 2017 11:26:52
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 19 2017 :  13:58:04  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jerry
Boric acid....... little confused as to why you mentioned
this substance when I stated sodium hypochlorite ( common
household bleach )
Lead chloride is usually prepared from lead nitrate and Hydrochloric acid
so I did wonder if the ammonium chloride was providing the necessary
Chloride ions ( basically a double decomposition reaction )

ron
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 19 2017 :  14:00:14  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug
Yes , common bleach , cheaper the better no surfactants or
other additives
ron
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 19 2017 :  15:04:38  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ron_o

Hi Jerry
Boric acid....... little confused as to why you mentioned
this substance when I stated sodium hypochlorite ( common
household bleach )

ron

Hi ron,

Just throwing in one more substance which is known to remove lead sulfate.

_____
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  08:33:22  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been attempting to read up on as much of this as possible and not finding much of what Jerry is doing with the S/A.
Plenty on the Epson Salt & bleach, yet mainly on using as an electrolyte. Well, a ton 'claiming' Epson salt as a cure-all.

From what I'm reading so far, it takes current to make the Epsom or bleach work in removing sulfate.
From what I'm seeing here, Jerry is doing it without current using the S/A.

Thoughts guys?
Am I understanding Correctly?

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  09:07:08  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Not until we see a load and time, with voltage measurements. Like the old saying goes (you can led a horse to water but you can't make him drink)

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  09:24:45  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 49er

Hi ODR

Not until we see a load and time, with voltage measurements. Like the old saying goes (you can led a horse to water but you can't make him drink)

The question is not to how well the recovery is (at the moment), but what and with what is happening.
It seems Jerry is dissolving the sulfate without current.
I don't see Epsom salt or bleach doing the same without current.

I'm certain that the results will be good, if the only issue is sulfation.

As I just saw in 'my' battery, the leads were corroded.. The plates actually look pretty good, well from what I can see so far..

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  10:12:59  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR
The bleach ( sodium hypochlorite ) would react with any lead chloride it does not need any
external input of electrical current
If a current were used you would form Chlorine gas which is very toxic

ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  12:03:40  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Rono, by that a bleach based battery sounds really bad!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  15:36:21  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to run a comparison test with bleach. Have a warm day (for the Nor'east that is) and had some time.

Temp outside is 38F (stayed that for the test).
Used 2 ozs of bleach in a mason jar (glass) with a 1/4 teaspoon of sulfate (a lot on my dead test battery to play with).
Put the jar on the tailgate of my truck (black liner), the solution read 53F through out the test (give or take during +- 3F)

2hrs into the test and temps about to fall and sun to leave the truck.

Results:
about 2/3'rds of the sulfate has broken up. I see many fines floating and some on the bottom. What I see on the bottom/ nor floating does not match what I put in.
I will measure better once done, yet so far no where near.

When my Ammonium Chloride arrives, I will run another, side by side and report the results.

The question now becomes; What should the mix be with the Ammonium Chloride and water?
What will suffice in this test to make it worthy?

Thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  18:39:25  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR
The bleach stage is mearly to dissolve and convert any lead chloride into lead oxide
( plate material ) it is to be poured away when it has finished reacting and the plates
rinsed off with distilled or deionised water and then fresh electrolyte added to the battery
From reading your last posting it would seem that the bleach is certainly reacting
Take care
ron
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 20 2017 :  18:54:35  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR
Concentration of Ammomium Chloride
The correct answer would be two moles of ammonium Chloride for every
mole of lead sulphate but since we cannot determine the actual amount
of lead sulphate present it would be better to simply add an excess of the
Ammonium Chloride ( let's say one to two ounces per cell , depending upon
size of battery) the solution can be poured off and reused until no longer
reacting
ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  09:26:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To my surprise RonO, I had left the jar on the tailgate overnight. 18F overnight, it's almost all dissolved. A few fines floating, very cloudy liquid.

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  11:23:58  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's some really good news, ODR. I'll continue my own discussion elsewhere. (About the battery bouncing back on its own, even under load.)

_____
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  11:38:38  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I'm looking forward to doing a side by side once the Ammomium Chloride comes in.

Believe it or not.. We may hit 65F on Thursday! What a weird winter this year. Good day to run a test!
LOL, have plenty of sulfate to mess with..

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  14:14:56  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what will that show; do you think bleach - as an "additive" - will form a thin layer crystal battery on the plates? (edit: I can tell you right now, with S/A the sulfate will need to be wicked off with a rag or something, if getting rid of it is your objective./edit)

You guys carry on. I'm DTR. (Down The Road.)

_____

Edited by - Jerry Volland on February 21 2017 14:48:52
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  16:26:47  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually no, I don't see it as an additive. An alternative to removing the overly sulfated battery and another way to revive.

I really like what your doing and really liked your though of soaking, which lead me to a whole new train of thought.

If I hi-jacked your thread, I apologize.
Was not the intent, but to offer support.

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  17:49:02  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RON high jacked my thread by getting huffy that I said something unrelated to his own off topic input, then continuing HIS discussion. This after Doug's "I TOLD you to do something". But I did appreciate your input.

Later.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  19:14:35  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well So Be it Later

ron and ODR thank you for your 2 cents and ODR If you want to start your own post please do it in the Acid battery section where it belongs. Once again thank you all for a good post. LATER

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - February 21 2017 :  20:52:10  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerry

If you choose you can start a post in the acid battery threads and We will let you post all the info as you see it and also lock the thread as long as you go by the rules of the forum that way NO ONE can high jack your thread. Have fun and good luck

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - February 22 2017 :  03:09:04  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Jerry
I'm sorry that you feel that I have in some way hijacked your thread and I apologise
for any upset caused to you
To prevent any possible future upset I shall refrain from posting any comments or
suggestions on any of your threads

ron
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 24 2017 :  00:14:08  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I decided it would be rude if I didn't at least check back in and read everyone's closing remarks. And I'm somewhat surprised I'm still welcome to stick around, after the way I blew my stack. I had been planning to hang around anyway and keep going through the archives, reading the old messages. You guys have had some interesting discussions in the past. But hoped for discussion is one of the primary reasons I try to correspond on these forums. (Although a significant percentage of the few hundred *unique* threads I've started through the years elicited no response other than polite silence - likely because a lot of the subjects I like are too far "out here".) So it's not my intention to lock a thread, or exclude anyone from participating.

My battery project is on hold for now. In a moment of stress, I tore into my cheap china VOM, trying to fix the flaky switch. I 'fixed' it alright, and now it's beyond any hope of ever working again, even sporadically. (I'm still holding out hope that I can fix my 516 scope. I do need to SEE some aspects of some of my projects. Maybe I'll try putting some bleach on the part of the delay line where the thin layer of silt has accumulated.) So I'll get a new volt meter when I get into the humor of ordering stuff, something I consider to be somewhat of a pain.

This bleach effect does seem remarkable. I'm wondering why I haven't heard about this before? I'm certainly hoping to read more about it here on this forum.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go sit in the corner for awhile, WITH one shoulder to the wall. (edit) Then I'll learn to look both ways before opening my mouth in frustration. Just remember I've had more than my share of trolls being 'willed'by black opps remote viewers to start bouncing back and forth on cue.

Best regards to everyone.

_____

Just looking for a home.

Edited by - Jerry Volland on February 24 2017 00:43:10
Go to Top of Page

massive

New Zealand
17 Posts

Posted - February 25 2017 :  16:02:43  Show Profile Send massive a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just passing thought , remember Sucahyo with his frozen water + magnets experiments ? there were definite swirls etc captured and then he interpreted them his way . any way is it possible temperature would show some sort of signature of the different chemical behaviour ? .... or would they behave as anti freeze ? it would definitely separate water content . this is pretty much the opposite of your environment your testing in .
Is the objective to create a form of 3rd plate(liquid) to descale the plates or is this purely chemical reaction sought
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 25 2017 :  16:29:16  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Will,

Temperature will make a difference, both in how much solvent can be dissolved into the water, and how rapidly the solvation takes place.

What I think is occurring is the solvent enabled magnesium from the epsom salt to diffuse into the lead sulfate. If it did, and if it stratified, this could establish a thin-layer crystal battery on the lead plates. There's a lot of if's, but this would explain the battery voltage bouncing back after a momentary shorting. This occurs even with a small load. I can charge my phone and two sets of three AAA batteries during the night, with the voltage slowly increasing, and still see the battery's original voltage the next morning.

_____
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 25 2017 :  16:35:42  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's both.

I really perked up when Jerry talked of soaking. His mind went aquarium, mine when mason jar.
Let's see what is happening without current involved?

Then, What shall we use?
Jerry's S/A is the first I heard of this material.
My Ammonium Chloride seems to be the same substance.
I added bleach (sodium hypochlorite?) into this as a possible alternative. After RonO's statement, diffidently not a 3rd plate alternative.. But as a removal agent?

I started my A/C test today at 10am. It didn't mix in with water as well as I thought it would. Maybe temps are too cold for what Jerry did, where he is. I'm at 62F.

If interested, I'll post a full report.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 25 2017 :  16:50:08  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question Jerry: When you mixed your S/A with water did it mix to clear?

My solution was still cloudy. Looked good, but cloudy.

When I returned home today to check it, it was clear, but had probably 1/3 of what I put in at the bottom of the jar.
As much as I didn't wish to stir it, I did to allow more to dissolve.

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 25 2017 :  17:04:15  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR,

When I mixed mine, the solution was cloudy, with some grains remaining at the bottom. This was at 50F. When the plate was added, the water turned pale blue. I am looking forward to your report.

@massive: I forgot to mention that the battery'a baseline voltage is now at 8.16 V, without the solar panel.

_____
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 25 2017 :  17:42:05  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay then, here we go.

Start temp 62F and remained very close to till the sun went down.

1 cup water / 2 tablespoons A/C. Cloudy mixture yet well stirred.
1 teaspoon (or very close) of sulfate (same as the previous with bleach).

Returned home 4 1/2hrs later to check

Fluid was clear, about 1/3rd of what I put in there had settled to bottom. Figure I didn't mix well enough.

From sight view, I'd say at least half (looked like 2/3rds) had broken up. Mostly looked like it settled at the bottom.
It was hard to tell with the remaining A/C down there as well.

So I did what I wished not to do, stirred it up.

Let it settle and now what I saw now at the bottom is sulfate.

My best guess is maybe half has dissolved. To be safe, let's say 1/3rd, but dissolved.

Temps are gone, as is my sun.
Tomorrow is supposed to be another warm day (relatively speaking).

Report again tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 26 2017 :  18:38:55  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote

edit: I had to post these images in a hurry, before my generator quits and my laptop turns off mid sentence. Now I'm typing on my phone again.

The top picture shows the bottom area of my current test plate, at the start. The middle one shows how it looked when first pulled from the solvent. At the bottom is how it looked after completely drying.

The white line above the top of the water is due to dissolved sulfate being pulled upwards, above the water level, by the lead's wicking action. Similarly, as the plate dries, sulphate is pulled back down onto what was the wetter region, leaving a thin layer on the surface. This is why I think the sulfate needs to be wicked out of the solution, if it's to be completely removed.

My theory is that if the lead sulfate is disolved, then pushed back to the plate with an applied voltage, in the presence of magnesium sulfate, a resulting semiconductor alloy might form on the plates. With the right molecular gradient, the result could be a thin layer crystal battery. This could explain how my test battery seems to be recharging itself - at least to around eight volts.
_____

Edited by - Jerry Volland on February 26 2017 19:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 27 2017 :  10:01:26  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With my test battery, a layer of lead sulfate is returned to the plate when current is passed through the solvent containing electrolyte. The current evolves chlorine gas, with time, and this reduces the solvent's concentration. Less solvent holds less lead sulfate, so the difference is returned to the plate.

As previously mentioned, chlorine is toxic, so ensure proper ventilation, preferably outside.

_____
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 27 2017 :  17:50:26  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will add another caution, and please excuse me Jerry for doing so.
We are stepping into an unknown region and experimenting.
Please use gloves and a mask while doing.

I drained the battery, added S/A to a cell to soak. Not liking the place I did it in I moved it to another.
No current added, yet a reaction occurred.

I felt dizzy, not able to keep my stance. Put it down and stumbled away.
I did grab a mask and moved it to a safer spot.

Lesson learned. No such thing as too much protection. No such thing as a safe spot.

I did not expect it. I should have known better.
Will not happen again.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 27 2017 :  18:07:57  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, after that, what happened?

There was a definite reaction, almost like as we charge a battery.
When Jerry says there was improvement without adding a charge?
Yes, I see that there can be.

The boiling I saw was like a small charge boiling we have all seen with the SSG. Yet with no current added.
So yes, I'll confirm there is a reaction with S/A.
Readings of voltage, I can not. Wasn't the purpose of my experiment.
Will be of my next, well if temps hold..

What I see is the battery coming back to what it is. Weak at best but coming back.
A point to recover from.

Thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - February 27 2017 :  19:31:34  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I did get some boiling in a couple of cells in the big battery I'm working with. This was a day or two after adding epsom salt. Also, when I poured the electrolyte from the little battery into a hole I dug in the wash (dry river bed), it kept 'boiling' on contact with the sand and small rocks until the fifth rinse. The thing I see in common is the epsom salt. Also batteries don't use pure lead in the plates, but some kind of alloy. (According to the Optima battery's advertising.) So I'm at a loss to say exactly what reaction we've been observing. When the current rains pass I'll test straight acid, then some with epsom salt, in the wash. That may provide a clue. Coincidentally (?), the boiling in my battery was right at full charge, and stopped when the panel was unhooked.

_____
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 28 2017 :  16:51:26  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious to that and will await you next report.

I drained the battery of acid, but you know with all that sludge (debris) some is still there.

I'll do a Epsom Salt mix and put it in another cell and see what happens. My mix in the mason jar showed none of this, so it may indeed require the acid to react.

My current mix is 1 tablespoon powder to 1- 1/4 cup water. Just so you know.

Also my test battery is so far gone it may not be a good comparison to your experiment. It may only be a comparison of effect of certain mixes.

Do hope some of this helps.

Go to Top of Page

massive

New Zealand
17 Posts

Posted - March 04 2017 :  19:25:55  Show Profile Send massive a Private Message  Reply with Quote

instead of calling a battery dead or flat wouldnt it be better to see it as equilibrium . the 2 disimilar metals generate the potential difference so equilibrium being the problem
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - March 06 2017 :  06:15:08  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Will,

I agree that equilibrium is the primary issue we're dealing with. As long as there's a lack of equilibrium the battery provides a dipole, and this dipole is what pumps the charge through a load. Unfortunately, batteries are designed so that the dipole dissipates as the internal energy is used up. The big advantage of a power crystal is that the dipole is locked in, due to the atomic structure of the crystal. If such a crystal could ever reach a state of internal equilibrium, doing so would likely take a very long time. If it is possible to use a special crystalline layer on the plates of a battery to prevent the battery from reaching equilibrium then we would have what I think I observed with my own battery.

_____
Go to Top of Page

massive

New Zealand
17 Posts

Posted - March 09 2017 :  02:55:26  Show Profile Send massive a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just a thought ,lead is used as radiation shielding , so if frequency were used , then the state of the lead plates shouldnt matter .... IF the objective were to hit the liquid solution for any reason ??? second , if your dealing with crystals are we heading into piezo territory ? maybe a time lag , hit the liquid with a spike ?
just thoughts ... wonder if batts could be series + parallel but switched between 1 and the other so V is rising and falling from the V rating of the batts them selves eg 12 up to 24 to 36 etc then cut ? theres no reversal of polarity ,might achieve absolutely nothing Im just thinking of agitation of the liquid , v being force... Idk but keen to see the next page ;0)
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - March 10 2017 :  21:18:27  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lead is used for radiation shielding, BUT it doesn't block magnetism. And that force is present when ions are moving. I think it's a big mistake to aim the magnetism at a positive plate from both sides. I've modified a really little battery so that it has two positive plates in the center, with a neutral plate on each side. (This is how Tesla built his capacitors.) If this affects the sulfation, I'll start a separate thread.

There's also the possibility to use time wave condensation, using periodic, but momentary, properly shaped pulses incorporating reverse symmetry.

At this point, I have a second battery ready for testing. It's been charged a number of times, then discharged through internal defect. This was with a tablespoon each of added S/A and epsom salt. Next I'll discharge it to four volts, which is below it's ground state, and change the electrolyte, with no additives. Just to see if it will self charge under load.

edit: Some kind of piezo effect is certainly worth considering, for future reference. If this could be sonically driven, I've already stockpiled the necessary transducers.
_____

Edited by - Jerry Volland on March 10 2017 21:25:23
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - March 13 2017 :  10:27:29  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I ruined my self charging battery effect. It was working so well charging the little flashlight batteries, I got the bright idea to try running my tablet with it. Not just charging it but actually operating the computer from the USB input voltage. Apparently, the higher current with the heavier load disrupted the interstitial gradient. Now, it'll still power a single led night light but it doesn't do much for charging.

I'm still going to test the larger, marine battery - when I get a new digital meter. In the meantime, I'm going to work on something else for a while.

PS: My new tablet is great. It's an RCA Cambrio (Windows 10), working with the mobile hot spot in my Android phone. Also, I've found out that I can run my laptop directly off the two solar panels (18 V) I don't have to have a battery or inverter, as long as it's daytime. So things are looking better.

_____
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Volland

USA
76 Posts

Posted - March 15 2017 :  00:49:17  Show Profile Send Jerry Volland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My new project more or less fell through. The first series of tests were great. And the second series - done on a whim - also turned out surprisingly well. However, when wired up to meet my basic objective, it didn't work. At the very least, the most I can say is that the results were inconclusive. I'll let it percolate, until I decide what to do to make it do what I decided it's going to do. So now it's back to my batteries.

After dark this evening, I noticed my phone battery was down to like 13%. So I hooked it up to the cigarette lighter usb charger, with the 20 A/h battery reading just over seven volts. After a few minutes, the phone was up to 16%, but the screen said "2 hours until full". So I got an idea to put the small battery in series with the big one. This was reading a shade over six volts, with my old analog meter. (This battery has been conditioned, but I haven't changed the electrolyte yet.) This immediately dropped the charging time down to 46 minutes. But the small battery's voltage also started going down. By the time I had 76% in the phone battery, the lawn tractor battery was only reading about 1.5 volts. So I decided the phone was good enough, and disconnected everything. The reading on the big marine battery was still a shade over six volts, BUT with no load on the small battery, its reading started going back up. When it was back up around seven volts, I series wired the batteries again, to finish charging the phone. This dropped the small battery down to around two volts right away. When it was down to a volt and a half, I turned the phone screen on, to make sure it was still charging. That extra load caused something to break loose in the battery and the voltage started creeping back up. (This was under load.) By the time the phone was completely charged, I was reading around 6.5 volts on the small battery and still just over six volts on the big one. So I'm leaving the two batteries in series, powering the usb charger's face plate led. Now it's showing just over seven volts, with the other unchanged. So something's still going on.

_____
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2