International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussions
 3D printing thread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - December 23 2016 :  05:28:38  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
starting this one cause it looks like Kultus took down his post, not sure why, but I have a working unit that I have already made some stuff for people, skills in model design, just let me know if you need any help, and I will do what I can.

currently I have the following filaments to work with

PLA clear, black, natural (almost looks like bone or ivory)
ABS clear, black.

specialty
ABS with Bismuth metal powder
PLA with Iron metal powder.

the last two with metals in them require a larger nozzle size so that has to be taken into consideration when designing of the tiny or detailed :) also they are a bit brittle due to the metal being in them so care needs to be taken, and finally ABS melts at a higher temp than PLA so any models that use both have to have a wall of the ABS around them to hold in the nearly or even fully liquid PLA that will run if it gets hit by that much higher temp filament on top, but it can be done.

any other questions feel free to hit me up, I have some info on fixing models using netfabb basic and can help with design of just about anything we have enough measurements to use.

one last thing, if there is something you want that I dont have filament for, feel free to discuss how we can get some of said filament,

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
You must be logged in to see this link.
second Youtube channel

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - December 23 2016 :  05:31:36  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh also feel free to list 3D printers you may have and region you are in for saving on shipping costs to inventors here. I am in the USA, and I guess I can do something to make a better post above, like list dimensions I can print in one go, and all that as well as what post processing I have available, and this will update as soon as I have my CNC mill back up and running (space is the only real issue)

and add more machines to my list as I am currently working on a second one with a bigger volume and more extruders to run all at once, unlike the simple dual extruder system I have now, as the controller I am using for them is the azteeg x3 pro with 8 instead of 5 motor control, and will be adding a laser cutting and engraving head along with a possible CNC cutting head :)

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

Luciano
Average Member

213 Posts

Posted - December 26 2016 :  04:50:30  Show Profile Send Luciano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello architect,
very interesting

Well i got myself a real cheap printer, a flashforge finder for under 500$.

this is not where i got it.. (i got it an electronic shop in austria) but here its the same price as the one i got.. you can see the specs on this page.. (i am NOT saying buy it there as i do not know this seller, its just to see the specs)

Actually its better than what i thought. But i wanted something cheap to be able to learn.

OK it can only do PLA and is limited to 140x140x140mm but it really fits my needs.

the slicing software that comes with it, is not so bad.

I have been doing some very nice coil spools, some timing disks , some holding devices for bearings.. and all that stuff.
It took me a couple of days to get used to designing stuff with the 3d software..
I now use google sketchup that really is very simple and works great.

For instance it takes me now less than 5 minutes to design a custom bushing or shaft fixing part.

the only problem I have left ist that it takes about 3 to 4 fails before i (for example) do a tube that will snuggly fit the shaft. usually i draw a little part of the cylinder, then print it.. and see if it fits.. i then do a bigger one by 0.1mm diameter, print it and then i see if it fits.. and so on...
because a cylinder of inner diameter of 10.01 mm will not fit a shaft of 10mm.. it takes a little more like 10.2 or 10.25..
So i havent figured out yet the exact sizing.. but usually i dont need sizes that fit 1/100 of a millimeter.. only for shafts and bearing holders..

So that is my input.

Next printer i will get a better one to be able to use other materials than pla, but i will wait a little, because for the moment i am happy as is and the printers are getting better an cheaper.

Thats all for the 3d printing.

Luc

Edited by - Luciano on December 26 2016 05:07:52
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 11 2017 :  19:55:14  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try using the nozzle diameter (.4mm example as that is a common size) then divide that in half and make sure your holes are that size bigger per side, so you would want a 10mm hole to be 10.4mm (5.2mm radius) as the nozzles spread out from the middle and see if that stops your woes on getting them to fit.

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 11 2017 :  20:11:47  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thinking those with printers need a place to do a photo dump of work we have done, so I guess I will start a separate thread for that.

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

Luciano
Average Member

213 Posts

Posted - January 12 2017 :  03:23:22  Show Profile Send Luciano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info..
for the 10mm I found a statisfactory method. for a 0.4mm nozzle i make the hole: 5.12 radius.. that very very tight and i cannot really insert the 10mm shaft without force.
So i then use a reamer tool, that is exactly 10mm and take away some 10th of mm. that works great and the shaft has a very snug fitting.
This is a reamer tool on ebay:

I fix the printed bushings to the shaft with so called insert nuts. otherwise it is impossible to do so.
its a sort of screw in screw. the insert nut is glued in with expoxy
for instance 8mm insert nut and fixing screw 6mm that works great.

Maybe some people will have ideas printing stuff with these..

Luc
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 12 2017 :  18:07:44  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sounds like a good solution, so you printed it at 10.24mm then ream it out to a full 10mm (must be pushing back in like almost .2mm or .1mm on each side, into the 10mm hole making it actually 9.76mm lol

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

Luciano
Average Member

213 Posts

Posted - January 13 2017 :  13:08:14  Show Profile Send Luciano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noooooooooooo ;-)
If I make 10.24 in sketchup.. it is too tight to fit in a 10mm stainless steel shaft.. so i ream it out to real 10 mm...it would be like 10.35 if i had to print it out.. but sometimes the 10.35 fits exactly, sometimes its a bit to big ... so i went down a little... and reamed the last few 10th of mm.
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 18 2017 :  21:51:52  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah ok, so you are making sure it is too small cause it is easier to take away a bit than it is to add some back, gotcha, I have been welding parts from a bunch of prints to make something bigger than my print volume, something that is a huge PITA lol, but I have successufully pulled it off, in PLA and should be able to do the same in ABS, but for hotter materials I will have to build a custom rig to do the same thing, so my next trick I think is going to be to extend my y axis and add a bigger bed on that axis (change from the 200mmx200mm printable area to 200mmx300mm printable area) to give an extra nearly 4 inch printable area

you can reach me on discord at You must be logged in to see this link.

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

Luciano
Average Member

213 Posts

Posted - January 22 2017 :  12:47:49  Show Profile Send Luciano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well. you said we should show what we are doing, i just printed a 6 magnet rotor bedini style that runs on a harddisk bearing. I want to do a couple of experiments.
Actually it turned out quite nice.. i did not film all the printing, but the beginning and the end. so you can see what you can do with a 3D printer...

I will definetly make another one, this time with all north magnets.

Luc
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - April 02 2017 :  22:18:35  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Luc

I just found this setup of yours and its pretty cool, good work with the 3D.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2