International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussions
 Why is my electric bill so high
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  13:56:24  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is the spot where we will talk about your HIGH bill and how to get it lower. We will need to now how many units used for the last 6 month and if you have electric heat and if you have electric hot water. Also what size house or ECT and number of people in household.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  07:08:31  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
units used 17228kwh
Electric heating using space heaters 4 in total one per person in house hold
Electric water heater
Well pump
Washing machine only no dryer
Dish washer gets loaded 2 times a day
AC units mobile not central air they are like window units but do not sit in windows and are to my knowledge very efficient
House is mobile home approximately 30 years old size is 36' by 70' with an addition built onto it addition size is 24' by 20'
4 people in household

Edited by - TheWeldShop on May 04 2016 07:11:36
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  08:31:43  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
17228? in 6 mo.?? if so break it down to use per day to start. please.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  08:57:20  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yup 17228kwh 6 months worth, so I have not took a reading physically on this I just went to the power bill online and wrote down what they had for my consumption as this is a bout the bill I thought this would be the best way to go about it.
I will try to break it down to a day usage for you but most likely I will only be able to break it down for now into monthly usage.
I will also start a record as of today how much daily usage I am at.
Keep in mind those numbers were from November 2015 and which months were actually not as cold as it usually is during this time for instance xmas day my grandson was playing in a paddling pool that was just filled up from an out side faucet so to give an idea as to how warm it was during those months
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  09:02:56  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Starting at Nov. 2015 which is 6 months ago and working to present time
2476kwh 31 day period
3152kwh 30 day period
4274kwh 33 day period
3341kwh 29 day period
1955kwh 30 day period
most recent bill was 2030kwh 32 day period

I am strictly going by what they are reporting I used Like I said I will conduct an investigation of the next few weeks on a daily basis of what my usage is and post again a few weeks my findings

Edited by - TheWeldShop on May 04 2016 09:05:12
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  12:36:06  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK you will need to do this one day at a time. I will tell you I use 6 to 7 units a day with my solar. Before solar my usages was 40 to 50 and that was my sister watching TV 24/7 LCD. You have a more serious problem and usage is what you will have to come to bear with this. I would start with reading the meter every day at the same time. Next get a shower head orifice to cut down on water and put a time limit on shower time. The water heater is one of the worst eaters of energy. Dishwasher is second, have someone wash dishes by hand for a week and see what a difference that makes. Also make sure to wright everything down just so you can show the better half. More to come but see what you can do with that and maybe others will come up with more. You have to see where you use the energy before you can trim it back. I would also get a watt meter from the store that you can put on other things to see what they use for a 24 hr period then you can project it forward. I would shoot for 45 to 50 units a day as your first goal.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  14:05:31  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 49er
OK you will need to do this one day at a time. I will tell you I use 6 to 7 units a day with my solar. Before solar my usages was 40 to 50 and that was my sister watching TV 24/7 LCD

when you say units are you talking about 1kwh?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  15:04:46  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  15:27:28  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK so before you're solar you was using 1395kwh in a 30 day period which is 560kwh better than my best figures above which is 1955kwh for a 30 day period breaks down to 18kwh less than me a day.
So it really doesn't seem like I have to do alot to bring down to you're levels before solar.
What is your geographic location in the US north east west south?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  15:46:22  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mi.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  16:20:59  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NC here as it does make a difference also as to climate changes in different locations through out the states.
my best period of usage was when we did not need AC nor did we need Heating it was comfortable with out much like today.
We did get hit with a big storm yesterday evening hailstones and all so that helped today with being cooler I guessing.
But our worst period of time through out the year is about to hit us I feel it is going to be a bad one too very hot in July
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  16:22:59  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not only does it cause us to run AC and heating differently from each other but also water heating fridges have to play into all that also I know I am rambling on here and sorry about that
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  16:38:10  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try a box fan and a window, my daughter lives in w/s

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  17:12:50  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yup we do that in the bedroom it does do good but not for living room as the sun kills us in late evening which is odd because it really gets the hottest after the sun has went down over our trees and is no longer beating down on house
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  17:14:12  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the winter that is a plus but summer it is pure hell in the living room without AC box fans just don't do it
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  17:47:57  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do the chimney thing, upper window front down stairs back,Draft

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  17:56:15  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This new meter is harder to tell..
It tells the I used 697 digits..
Each digit is supposed to be a KWH..

Next month should be interesting since my daughter just moved out.

My average was 1200 Kwh before I started into this.
Worked it down to a 900 annual average.
Fought some more to get to this 750kwh average..

I heat with wood/pellets
Now 2 people (new numbers coming)
2,000 sqft, not including the garage/workshop.
Hot water/cooking is Propane (costs are too high), but Hot Water is instant not tank and I really like cooking on gas.
Washer/dryer electric (propane is more expensive as I've seen).

I've looked at the Super Store tanks for hot water, but debate the costs vs what I'm doing.

Ghost usage of power is what I've been looking at for years.
Now with my daughter moved out I may be able to do something about this.
Shut down the office and Living room appliances and kill the ghost power in there.

6" walls and 18" in the attic.
Opened up the ventilation to the attic.
Garage lighting on Solar and minor tools.

Suggestions?
Always welcome!

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  18:19:30  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sell the wife and move into the garage. LOL not really Solar and GTI's plug and play

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  21:15:05  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready to re insulate my front wall where most of my heat comes in from and will eventually build a roof over front porch to help keep inside cooler.
I don't really have an attic to cool the roof off but once I so have my roof extended over the front porch then I will open up the front apex which will allow more heat to escape from being trapped in the roof that should help alot.
Now I am thinking of solar and wind.
I want to build my own solar panels as I can get the cells real cheap from eBay, but concerned about the power company penalizing me for not using compliant equipment which is way to expensive.
As for the wind I am not wanting to use actual wind as I do not have enough of it continuously blowing, but I do have the exhaust from the mobile AC units I use that have quite a strong wind from was thinking of away to utilize that to recover some of the cost that the AC units accumulate.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  07:05:26  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 49er

Sell the wife and move into the garage. LOL not really Solar and GTI's plug and play

Like to say I just sold the kid, but even that's still costing me... LOL!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  10:08:48  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TWS

FORGET wind and get solar only. Since your house faces south use the roof of the porch for solar and get two for one. All you need is the frame work to put the panels on and the panels do the shading. you will need to get a permit for the construction and if I remember right the power company can't compline because you can if your big enough to sell power back to them. But if you can't afford 35.000 LOL start small with plug and play units. Start with one panel and one plug and play that way you just plug it into the wall socket for its all automatic.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 06 2016 :  05:39:04  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Na dont need permit for roof over porch, as for facing south I think the front of my house actually faces northish the sun runs along one side of my house if I am facing my house in front of the house the sun runs from back to front on the right side
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - May 06 2016 :  23:59:45  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you are insulating you might look into the aerogel batting being sold on ebay, its like 8 bucks a square foot but the R rating is so far above anything else that I am guessing a layer of that over regular insulation would make such a difference that it would quickly pay for itself,
also if you can set something up infront of that wall and block the sun from hitting it, that is in open air so it heats the air outside up and not your wall which is probably heating after sun down because the wall is radiating heat it soaked up and is just finally penetrating the current insulation in that wall, to get into your house.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - May 07 2016 :  00:04:43  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here is a link, You must be logged in to see this link. supposedly by buying it in the linear foot you are getting it at 4 bucks a square foot lol

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 07 2016 :  13:52:56  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yup I have some of that stuff also already I was thinking the same thing glad I was on the right track
as for the cover for the wall shady I am planning on building a roof over the deck which will be doing just what you explained
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 07 2016 :  16:48:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheWeldShop

Na dont need permit for roof over porch, as for facing south I think the front of my house actually faces northish the sun runs along one side of my house if I am facing my house in front of the house the sun runs from back to front on the right side

What you get is what you get.
My optimum spot, I've re-cover with natural growth.
My Garage (where my panels are) hits Noon forward during summer.

I'm in a week and a half of gray skies..
Very small battery bank considering what I hope to do with it.
Had to shut it down yesterday because of over use.

Yesterday & today, with gray skies, I've recover enough to get lighting and music back up.

It's not always what you hope for..
It's how you use what you get!

Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 07 2016 :  19:35:49  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olddawgsrule

What you get is what you get.
My optimum spot, I've re-cover with natural growth.
My Garage (where my panels are) hits Noon forward during summer.

I'm in a week and a half of gray skies..
Very small battery bank considering what I hope to do with it.
Had to shut it down yesterday because of over use.

Yesterday & today, with gray skies, I've recover enough to get lighting and music back up.

It's not always what you hope for..
It's how you use what you get!

I cant agree more with your comment here I will get there one of these days
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  07:30:50  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok over the past few days I have took a reading of my meter at same times each day and on average I am using 60 units per day
and those days were very mild in weather did not use AC except in evening when heat finally penetrated the walls

Edited by - TheWeldShop on May 09 2016 07:33:42
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  08:20:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like its time to brake down your bill to each use of your hour of the day. Face the sun each hour and look at your house, where is it hitting and can you reflect it (summer) or do you need it absorb it Winter). In the summer Windows need a reflective film on the outside of your window also anything dark needs to be changed to white or reflective. Being we can't see your house at any time of the day then you will have to be our eyes. Also the family needs to be behind you with the savings things that you may find. Time of day does your power co. have different amounts that they charge for your power? Time each persons shower time, my grand kids take 45 minutes or longer depending on the phone usage. LOL that is true. Electric hot water is the most costly and shower time is a direct cost you can control with a time usage. Dish washer time is another big cost, try to first get to using it once a day, next find the cost and only do the job at the cheapest hours of the day for it can run without you being there. See if you can raise the temp on your AC by 2 degrees or more. More to come

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  20:41:52  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I have a hunter green new metal roof tan walls green trim. It is an old double wide also.
The sun hits the back of the house at 9 am by noon it is behind a big Lilly poplar tree if I am facing the houses front door it is to my right side
around 1pm it has moved past the tree and is over all my other trees until around 7pm when it starts to make its descend behind the trees.
from 4pm till 7pm it hits full front of house.
As for reflectives Hmm I have replaced all the original windows with double gas filled glazed windows not sure if I can apply reflective tint to them and saying that I will be needing them to absorb or allow heat to pass through in winter.
I think it would be a great deal cooler in the house if I was to roof my porch on front and let it absorb the heat outside when I do the roof I am thinking of doing solar panels like you have mentioned 49er but only half of it as it will be an apex roof extension and only half will be hit by the sun year round.
I started tearing down the outside front wall facing today and re insulated it will be replacing the old wall covering which was made of that cheap cardboard wood from the factory with real wood siding plywood panels ok it is still plywood but it is real wood not cardboard that is 30+ years old.
The front wall on porch is the only wall that I will be tearing down like this the rest of the walls I will be wrapping with polystyrene boards and the same plywood on top of the cardboard siding.
Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  01:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm. if only you took your meter out and replaced it with some meter-mimicking device with fat prongs underneath for 2 weeks out of every month. if only.

but seriously I think the best thing to do is count the watts you are using per appliance/utility through estimation throughout a month and if the total comes close to the difference in what the meter says from the previous month then you can probably accurately figure what to cut down and how much it would actually save. who needs hot water between around midnight and 5am? earlier risers could probably deal with 10pm to 3am with the water heater off. I personally instead of using an oven or microwave just hold a lighter to my food to cook it and have the burned thumbs to prove it no just kidding but seriously unless I have it backwards, it's been a while since I've thought about it.. your meter readings reflect a usage in addition to previous ones.

so TheWeldShop's readings per 30-31 day period cannot be true unless he's running a time machine in there or doing some really naughty stuff with a crazy amount of halogens. What you should do 'I think' is to compare your current months end readings with the end readings of last month and subtract the difference, that should be your kilowatt hour usage for that past month.

@TheWeldShop That hail was serious. I held a piece in my hand larger than a marble.

[on the gravy train with biscuit wheels]
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  05:53:33  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mag
I got in trouble when we first moved into this house years ago for doing similar to that, when we first moved into the house I noticed the meter had the security tab broken off of it so I opened up the meter and was removing the pin or needle that the disk spun around on which stopped the meter from running I would do this weekends only and had everyone do their laundry on weekends only. Needless to say I got caught lol the stupid pin or needle what ever you want to call it stopped spinning all together and I had a $17 bill for the entire month the power co. investigated my meter and jerked it from the wall lol I was with out power for 3 days

Edited by - TheWeldShop on May 10 2016 06:14:54
Go to Top of Page

Magneticitist

USA
681 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  17:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Magneticitist's Homepage Send Magneticitist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol yea they might let you get away with it once like in your case simply because it's probably hard to do anything other than simply close the account. it's the people without accounts that actually get away with it I think. I once had a neighbor without a meter altogether because there was no active account for that address apparently. Instead he had 2 fat metal prongs jammed in the terminals. I'm pretty sure he managed that for years because it was only noticeable up close. Maybe meter man saw it and thought "haha ok you earned it, I'm not touching it". That's the bad kind of free energy though lol.

[on the gravy train with biscuit wheels]
Go to Top of Page

TheWeldShop

USA
84 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  06:55:42  Show Profile Send TheWeldShop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this is how stupid my power co. is
They estimated that I was stealing from them only 4 months when in fact it was 2 years
When I fest up for their estimated time frame they charged $400 as a fine set out at their estimate amount of power I stole from them, I paid it there on the spot
Then they turned around and credited me $400 for the following months bills.
? Some one dropped the ball some where and I was not going to say a thing about it lol
I mean how do you say you are fining me for theft of their service and then refund me the fine and not to mention the fact that their figures was way off the actual amount I should have owed?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  08:23:22  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its call GOOD WILL to the community and you did make it right to them. That is all they wanted, they piss more than that away every meeting they have at corporate level. BUT don't rock the boat.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

SerenityAnsel2014

Philippines
17 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  01:57:59  Show Profile Send SerenityAnsel2014 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of causes for having a high bill. Perhaps you consume a lot of power or you owned several units of electrical appliances. You could check it anyway by KWH or you could purchase a simple watt-hour meter to measure your electricity.

SerenityAnsel2014
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2