International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 An interesting design
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 26 2014 :  16:37:19  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting design "I" hadn't seen before.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - March 26 2014 :  17:30:02  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Very interesting, I would like to see the numbers side by side. To me the wind will have to be strong to make the smaller one make the same voltage. But good find, to hard for me to make LOL LOL

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 27 2014 :  16:36:54  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The concept looked very good, just has not been implemented as I can find..

Agreed, I doubt I can make it easily..

I will think of this as I build another.
The cowling may remove the need for a wing to direct
That negative pressure passing over can increase the power to the blade

For those dwelling in building wind genies
It just seemed too interesting not to pass along!

if anyone finds more about this type of design
Please post it here
I'd like to see/learn more of this

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - March 27 2014 :  16:53:18  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Good find , i do seem to recall seeing a "similar" sort of design some time ago but that ( if i remember correctly ) had some sort of problem with turbulence at the blade tips.

Also just out of interest have a look at a Dyson "blade less" fan.

ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 27 2014 :  18:14:45  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen this'Dyson', yet don't grab the concept..
Care to explain it a bit?
If anyone can, you the man!

Most of what I've seen on this idea is a ring style version.
Shallow in design of cone and can see the turbulence that can acure

I like his theory of design!
The flow seems correct
Induced air pressure to the wing
Negative pressure behind to pull
Hmm..

Just a thought to those building

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - March 29 2014 :  17:27:12  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Firstly the Dyson "blade less" fan does have blades! a small fan is mounted within the base/stand , this forces air into the "blade less" section where it flows out via a specially shaped slit. This forward motion of air basically pulls more air with it and hence "magnifies" the air flow.

Now onto the new wind generator design , the main advantage of the design is the "guide" which funnels additional air into the fan blades. A conventional wind turbine is limited as to how much power it can extract from the wind , which is approx 60% of the winds available power ( Betz's Law ) . With this design ( and other such designs that funnel the wind into the blades ) the rules change and higher levels of energy can be extracted. However as with the "conventional" wind generator design an extraction level will be reached where upon no air movement exists at the rear of the blades and this will be the maximum energy extraction level.

ron
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 31 2014 :  17:52:40  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ron_o

Hi ODR

Firstly the Dyson "blade less" fan does have blades! a small fan is mounted within the base/stand , this forces air into the "blade less" section where it flows out via a specially shaped slit. This forward motion of air basically pulls more air with it and hence "magnifies" the air flow.

This I still don't get. If indeed it magnifies the air flow, then don't we have "Over-unity"??
Not truely understanding how it does, I see too much restriction air flow.. I'll have to do some homework on this one..

Now onto the new wind generator design , the main advantage of the design is the "guide" which funnels additional air into the fan blades. A conventional wind turbine is limited as to how much power it can extract from the wind , which is approx 60% of the winds available power ( Betz's Law ) . With this design ( and other such designs that funnel the wind into the blades ) the rules change and higher levels of energy can be extracted. However as with the "conventional" wind generator design an extraction level will be reached where upon no air movement exists at the rear of the blades and this will be the maximum energy extraction level.

Now this I get and understand!
The design of negitive pressure behind the blades makes real sense to me!

ron

Thank you RonO!

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - April 03 2014 :  16:15:30  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

The Dyson fan is certainly not overunity . The "trick" for want of a better word is that the air flow from the slits causes additional air to be dragged in through the "blade less" section ( hence the term "magnifies" ) but the air flow speed will be reduced ( to balance the system ). Obviously a lot of research went into the optimum design of the "slits" in order to achieve maximum effect.n

I have seen similar technology in compressed air dust / blow down guns.... here a specially designed head cause the dragged in air to spin in a vortex cone and once again to balance the system the final air velocity is reduced.

Hope that helps.

ron

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - April 04 2014 :  16:37:37  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello

I watched the video here, and see the scale of this unit is quite enormous. A main focus on the big wind farms.

I am curious to the size for a residential application, in comparison to the traditional 600w to 1.5kw horizontal turbines being used currently.

A brilliant concept, and hope to see what the future holds for this style of wind turbine !

Alan

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 04 2014 :  16:56:57  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree Alan, that they're focus is big.
That's where the payback is.
Yet the design/concept..

I understand that some things just work better on larger scale and sizing down may not create the same effect.
This just was too cool not to pass forward and looks like it would aid/improve even on a small scale

Has me thinking a bit differently for one of my little 'birds'.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2