International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Concept Ideas
 Limiting Radiant charger output, for solar applica
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - March 07 2014 :  01:57:20  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In solar panel application, radiant charger will allow charging even at lower output / non optimum sun condition. But the problem is, radiant charger usually designed to work well at a spesific input voltage.

So, a radiant charger designed for high voltage input (like 15V) it produce maximum output at only high voltage input. It won't produce optimum output during low voltage input. A radiant charger designed for low voltage input (like 5V), it produce maximum output at low voltage input. At high voltage input it will be self destructed.

So, the challenge is to make radiant charger that force the component to work at its maximum capacity on any voltage. In easier term, to make the transistor and the coil at their maximum rating all the time on any input voltage.

I think this can be solved with transformer amplifier. I forget the reference, but it work like this:
Imagine a transformer having a primary and a secondary. Supposed that the primary is used as wire to transfer an AC signal, then if we apply a DC signal to the secondary, then the AC signal transfer will be reduced, because the core become more saturated. The more the core become saturated, then the more the AC signal will be suppresed.

We use this to control the signal that trigger the transistor. In joule thief, the signal that goes to the transistor base. We use a transformer primary to connect the resistor to the transistor base. The we use the solar panel voltage to saturate the coil.

This still a concept because no transformer ever designed for this purposes.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - March 10 2014 :  16:20:51  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sucahyo

I believe you are referring to a "Magnetic Amplifier"

It might however be easier to use a circuit similar to the feedback control on switch mode power supplies to regulate the performance of the charger.

ron
Go to Top of Page

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - March 10 2014 :  21:47:19  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ron_o

Hi Sucahyo

I believe you are referring to a "Magnetic Amplifier"

It might however be easier to use a circuit similar to the feedback control on switch mode power supplies to regulate the performance of the charger.

ron

Yes, I forgot the name. Thank you. I will look for that kind of circuit too. Thanks.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2