International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Home Heating
 ROCKET STOVE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - February 16 2014 :  16:36:38  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

My wife want a hot tub put in my basement and I think she will get a horse trough with a DC motor pump for the circulation. To heat the water a rocket stove with copper tube around the stoves outlet. I have looked at most of the Youtube and they don't have one of these to copy. Does anyone have any experience in rocket stoves??

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - February 16 2014 :  22:13:42  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er,
If you get a coil of copper you can fill it with water ( leave the end's up ) and coil it to the diameter you want it to fit , without kinking it ..

=========================================
I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
=========================================
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - February 17 2014 :  13:05:44  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49'er been doing a fair bit of research on this myself.

Seems like one of the go-to guys for this stuff is a Youtuber by the name of Van Powell.

He has modified the atypical rocket stove mass heater design into an underground copper coil, water thermal mass system. very cool stuff this guy has. he also has a great lecture that explains why he feels his design far axceed those of many others.

for your purposes tho, this is a good start.

You might find that you want to do more than just heat the tub, create multiple options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - February 17 2014 :  13:39:53  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I KC

Very nice info. A lot more to think about. Still like you it has to be cheap. I all ready have the tank from the solar hot tub I built 3 years ago but not a fire box yet so that is good info. Thanks

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

cas467062

USA
75 Posts

Posted - March 11 2015 :  22:10:08  Show Profile Send cas467062 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er

I've been researching alot of solar projects and what-not for the last few years..I have a solar hot air collector I built on my youtube channel as well..here are a few links that are great all the info you may be looking for...

You must be logged in to see this link. click on the projects tab at the top to see all

You must be logged in to see this link. this site is great as well..a little smaller but loaded with info..

Good luck!!

Corey
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - March 12 2015 :  15:07:32  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi cas

Looks good Thanks

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - April 28 2015 :  11:27:22  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Well here it is my rocket stove. 20 gal steel trash can 1-2 foot straight pipe, 1 nipple all in 6", 2 elbows, 20' of 1/2" soft copper and a bag of Vermiculite (3 cu ft).

Ran it last night for 2 hrs to burn the paint off and also put the copper tube in the freezer with water. Today will rap it to the stove pipe and insulate it. A lot of work yet to come and experimenting to so more to come.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - April 28 2015 :  12:00:36  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This copper pipe is hard to bend with ice in it but my wife and I won. Have to go and get a 8" pipe tube and a cap for it also will fill it with vermiculite. Then I will put a reducer from 6" to 4" to hold in the heat. I don't think I will cook on it at least for now. LOL

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 29 2015 :  16:18:08  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice!

Cas linked up some pic's of different variations of Rocket Stoves.
One I really like has a vertical feed tube.
With your elbow on there..
Is that were you're headed?

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - April 29 2015 :  19:01:51  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Was going to try it but when I made the top and filled with insulation I had to use my 1 ft piece for the top. But it is something I will try. Testing it before I comment to the 100 gal tank. Right now I think I have to get the water to the top of the coil before it will work good for heating the water with out a pump. My guess but time will tell and its fun.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - April 29 2015 :  21:42:55  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i can't believe you cut a hole in that beautiful garbage can LOL

all of mine are beat up dented units that the run-over flattened lid doesn't fit right, hand-me-downs, from Dad. lol

cheers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 30 2015 :  16:19:57  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's hilarious KC!

You're right on the edge of it with you're elbow and very curious how it will work. Seems like less fire tendering, but only if it works..

I tried one of those curled black hose style solar heaters last year (should have taken pic's, I know..) and it worked decent..
No pump involved and heat out was very good.
Volume of water was my issue...
You have that beat with this beast!

The hose coil I had to get the lines up to the level of the water for the siphon to work good.
I had one end of the hose placed at the bottom and other at the top.
With both submersed, no chance of it back draining.
I never did get to a check valve to stop nightly cooling..
With 'my' minimal heating, it seemed important.
With your Beast.. Probably not so much..

I also picked up a solar cover for the tub.
That plastic sheet with the bubbles in it.
Picked it up from one of those 're-sellers' around here and have enough material for 3 covers now ($10, so I'm happy with it).
They work, but again, for volume of water, just decent.
You may wish to look for one to aid or just a cover to keep the leaves out.

Looking very good there Doug!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  18:02:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Well it didn't have enough heat in the coil to get the tub up to temp. So we added some more area to the cooking surface and put the tube into the pot for preheat and it works good but the rain won't leave me alone long enough to have a good test with dry wood. LOL
Got the tank to 90 F in about 3 hrs but only 40 to 45 gal and then the rain came. When it dries out will try again.

Go to Top of Page

cas467062

USA
75 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  20:18:57  Show Profile Send cas467062 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Doug

Interesting....I like seeing ppl come up with solutions!!!

How'd it work out?

Corey
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  21:23:26  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Corey

This was auto racing all day so if it doesn't rain tomorrow I will find some time to try it but I also have to get a temp meter for the tube and then we can make a video and time it all. We filled up the tube to 75 gal today so we are good to go for now and I do now that we had 104 degrees coming out before we got rained out before.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

cas467062

USA
75 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  21:44:13  Show Profile Send cas467062 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug

It WAS race day today!! Never was a NASCAR fan much but I do like going to track...dad had us at the sprints and drags growing up!!

Well 104 is plenty hot..I keep my hottub at that and sometimes its too hot to get in lol

Ive always wanted to do one of those Swedish tubs?? maybe? Correct me if I'm wrong but its like a big wooden, half barrel, type tub that's wood fired...I used to have a pic..I'll post it if I can find it...neat stuff!!!

Corey
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  10:21:39  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much water are you attempting to heat?
40-45 gallons is the tub?

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  18:52:08  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

The tank is 100 gal and we measured with my wife for the water height and its 3/4 of what a full tank is so my guess is close to 75 gal. It is a tank rubber maid from tractor supply. we have had it since we tried the solar hose try back in 09 but it took to much to keep it hot enough every day so we will see. This is in a HF 6X8' green house which make it easer to use over the year.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  16:03:34  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one?

If so, I like the drain plug!
Great place for a pump hook-up!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  17:31:51  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Yes that is the one and its cheep

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  07:26:09  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me now ask:

With the pot on the top, how long to boil water?
How much water in the pot?
Temperature of water at start?

Then of course: How much wood?

You have me very interested in what you're doing.
My tub has again this year picked up a couple more leaks and the control board has died again...
I'm getting very tired of fixing this thing and wish to replace with something simple!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 31 2015 :  14:05:54  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay...
I'm in on this.

I picked up a stock tank at TSC (next size up from yours.. I'm taller.. LOL)

I have a small Rocket Stove 'round here and will probably build something bigger to suit.

Digging around for a vessel to heat the water in...
Hey, the turkey fryer!
Verses re-building mine.. I just picked one up on Craig's for $20
Actually pick it up tomorrow after work.

I am done repairing, re-building, replacing, chasing hornets and all else that goes with the old Hot Tub.
Thank you for getting me going on this!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - May 31 2015 :  17:39:25  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

That's good, now we will have something to compare to. If it ever quits raining here I will get a video done.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 01 2015 :  17:00:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A video of the rocket stove running would be great!

The guys Fryer was a piece of crap (the stand, the pots, ..), but he had this stack smoker sitting there and offered him $5 for it.
I own it!

I'll take a pic and show you.
Looked like a great start of a larger Rocket Stove.
We'll need to get into how well yours is running and what you'd do different (if anything).

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 01 2015 :  18:03:11  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the pot on top of the flue!
Grabs all the heat flowing without cooling the burn.
One of the principles I agree with in wood burning.

I also like how the Chofu You must be logged in to see this link. uses area of contained.

The Rocket Stove has all the potential of creating the most heat for the least burned.

I really want to know how yours is running..
With and without the pot.

How much restriction can be put on the flue before it hits reduction in efficiency..

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 02 2015 :  17:15:20  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what shall be the heater

Next comes the exchanger
I like this design so far, but will take suggestions

3/4" copper pipe and believe I will use unions as much as possible to increase the wall dimension.

Actual sizing of the Rocket Stove will await Doug's updates and suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 04 2015 :  18:07:30  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found the vessel
Have the pipe now (and the feed tube)
Wanted to go 8" and 'Go for it' but only came up with 6"
Feed tube is 3"

Right now only the vent pipe is close to final height.
I understand feed tube needs to be half the height, so it will be cut down once I make the connection.

The greater the slant I can get, the better the self feed can be.

I have found some perlite insulation (they say this is best..)
Hopefully they have it in stock (will find out tomorrow, they've closed already..)
It's also said that insulation is the most important item in design.

I hoped to go for an 8" burn tube, but I could only get a 6"..
Reality.. probably more than what I need for what I'm doing.
I just hoped to go 'BIG'

I'm leaving the grates in the bottom as an ash drop (something else they talk about)
When and as I pour (clay/perlite mix) the only area left open will be below the pipe.
Currently thinking a 3" deep ash drop (may end up smaller..)
The balance around the tube I'm thinking just perlite (yet I'd like to have a mix around the connection of the feed and burn tubes (just to seal it).

The exchanger is going to get bigger now.
I can see how and will probably end up in the cap

The final venting is being debated (me and the voices in my head)
Most of the 'Big Boys' vent downwards..
Ya, I know, sounds strange, but it seems to work...
Having a hard time wrapping my mind around this..

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 05 2015 :  16:13:37  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Step 1, cast the base and setting the Draft tube

I wanted the base cast so little to no movement occurs.
The grates came with the smoker, so will not make an ash drop.
If I find that to be a problem... I'll fill it.

Finding clay at a good price became a challenge, then I learned that some cat litter is 99.9% natural clay..
And the Big Box store has it cheap (I like cheap!)

Next comes drilling out the draft tube for the feed tube.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 05 2015 :  16:35:55  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this is the diagram I'm working from.

I'm a huge fan of the vertical feed, so of course I picked one of the same to follow.
Mine will be slightly angled, but should get some benefit of gravity feed (well at least I'm hoping).

'C' is what's called the tunnel.
Stated that it should be as short as possible.
So I wonder why it needs to exist, period.
Once I figured it out, it was a DUGH moment.. LOL

The Feed tube, we'll call it 'A' in the diagram is proportionally smaller (almost half) of the draft tube.
The burn occurs in the feed tube.
"The Burn Chamber" needs to be smaller (the base of the 'Feed Tube'.
So directly feeding into the 'Draft Tube' seems to reduce the effectiveness of the burn.
Too large a space.

I'll be using a short elbow to create this.
This also makes for an easy cut in the 'Draft Tube' to insert.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 05 2015 :  16:58:25  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Looks like your on the move. If you could find a way to test before you make it, I feel you will learn a lot about your designee. To me the most important part is the burn area and with your 3" at the angle your using where the 2 meet will be your burn area and that needs to be air tight with a lot of insulation to keep in the burn heat. My designee shows that it is the heat at the burn area that is most important. The 6" pipe is IMHO all that you will need, the 8" is good for a big burner to heat a house with a 55 gal barrel. So with no barrel 6" is good and the 3" is why I think you should play more with size and length to the burn area. Let me know how the kitty liter works and good luck. Also as short as the feed tube will be you don't need a ash pan because it burns clean and if you need to clean it you can use your ash vac to do it. A elbow on the bottom of the 6" and another 4 to 6 reducer may be a good way to make your burn area and then clay around all that. hope this gives you some new ideas.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 05 2015 :  17:42:23  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree the ash pan may not be needed.
I just see it in so many designs, so why not..
It can always be filled.

I wish to cast the connection between the Feed & Draft, but until I know it works properly, I will just surround with Perlite.

And again I agree, 8" was going for gusto, but when building.. Why not.
The 6" should be all I require.

I don't know what you're assuming for requirement.
I'm looking for 4K Btu's in 2 hours or less.
The Chofu states it will heat 100 gallons in 1.5hrs.. (40 degree rise)
That seemed like a challenge I'm up for!
At a cost of $850- $1200??
Ya, I'll take this on!

Let's show you can do it for less and better!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 05 2015 :  17:56:31  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I can't Waite to see what you come up with.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 06 2015 :  08:32:20  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Casting in the base is done.
Burn Chamber (tunnel) on.
Feed tube to length (I think).
Time to let it dry a bit.

I packed up solid under the Burn Chamber..
I not stoked about a metal chamber..
I did pick up a double walled (30g) elbow for it..
We'll see..

Next is fill the remaining chamber with Perlite and pull some dry wood from the Solar Kiln.

May be learning how to 'Feed the Dragon' this afternoon or tomorrow..

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 06 2015 :  08:35:05  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once I see it runs, the water test comes next.
1 gallon of water over the flue and time heat rise.

I'll have to look it up, but covered or un-covered??
Which is the proper test?

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 06 2015 :  09:11:25  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I used 1.25 flat stock and made a X and notched the outside of each leg where the pipe came into contact with them. It is close to 1" of opening with the pot on it and it seams to draw well. You will like the set up you have done looks very good. I lost the top to my pot but you should use yours to do your test temps. I am going to try to fire mine up to day. Went to harbor and got a new pump and made my filter for the tank, with the amount of crap floating in it needed to make the wife happy. The pump is 12.99 and pumps 200 GPH and that looks good but may be to much to hold the heat in the pot, but we will see.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 06 2015 :  14:46:33  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be following your filtering.. haven't thought that far ahead.
I have chem's left over from the 'Hot tub' days to keep it clear and need to get past that..

First firing of the Dragon.
Ya, heard the roar when starting her, but not yet sustained..

Self feed is okay.. Still needs attention which dis-appoints me.
I should have stuck to 'my guns' and done it 'my' way, but those that supposedly know thought different..
Straight pipe it to the draft tube!!
Burn would still happen in the Feed tube, but then the ash would fall into the pit and create a nice bed of coals till burn through and carried up the draft tube.

I will figure out how to change this.

First burn is the toughest!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 06 2015 :  17:22:29  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to see 300 plus degrees
I know I'm still a wet unit.. But I want to see..

Drop a couple of pieces in the draft tube..
600 plus degrees!

Direct drop to the draft tube.
Ya, it will burn quick, but all I'm after is 300 degrees and warming the tub.

How you doing Doug?

I'm about to re-build.
Or at least drill this freaking thing out...

I like the angle and self-feed..
Just don't like the burn chamber being so contained..
Believing the burn chamber will still work with a direct drop into the flue.
May like the idea of an ash drop after all.

How you doin'??

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 06 2015 :  19:04:38  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I have a hurt back, every time we get a good day the pressure goes up and I can't walk. Nice sunny day today and the hole family is at some ones graduation this weekend so no help either. Bummer getting OLD , will try tomorrow. rework it like you want to and try it post it
thanks

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  07:23:26  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Doug...
Hope today is better for you.

I pulled the Feed tube off to make some decisions and for S&G's fired it up again..
Temp went off the charts.

Feed tube length seems very important.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  09:29:47  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Straight in to the fire pot?? That means very short up rights (bolts only?) and a cross member. I do have that in the back of mine to draw air, in the video I looked at they all said 1/4 to 1/3 air draw and some even put a burn plate in so the air gets under the burn area which moves it back out of the throat some. The wood goes in the biggest area, air has room to flow behind.

The pump and filter is cheep, 1299 at HF #68372 and the filter is a plastic type box with just cotton batting, the box just has to have holes around 1/4". You change filter as often as you want and its cheep.

I think I have to insulate that elbow and short pipe (burn pot) and for now mine should be ready to go

have fun

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  09:38:37  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first test!

Start 50F
Boil in 60 minutes
162 degree rise
2.7 degrees a minute

I figured I needed at least 1.2 degrees a minute to work..
This looks promising!

I did check every 10 minutes, so I did slow it down a bit
I also added the bell after the 40 minute mark which actually slowed the burn..

This is a previous pic with the bell so you know what I'm speaking of.

That temp gauge on the bells tells me I'm in the 250F range when straight up.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  09:49:43  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Did you leave the great on with the bell. It doesn't look like it and you might be choking it down a little and try a small flat plate in the bottom of your burn area to get more air in at the burn area (hotter fire)

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  10:23:27  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a previous pic before the test to show you the Bell.
I did leave the grate on. Just covered what was happening.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  10:41:43  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It did choke it down a bit.
There was a balance between slower fire and containment.
A larger space (for better draft) and it would have taken off again.

My theory is not to use the pot but make up a pipe exchanger that will be fastened into the bell.

This is the next step..
To learn more on Thermo syphoning and sizing of the exchanger.

2 years back I made up a Solar Hose heater for the Tube.
The thermo-syphon worked well, just was not enough water at high enough temperature.
This system has all the potential of working well!

I've gone through a few ideas and so far like this on best

Second place...

Engineering Toolbox states 7 gallons a minute can run through a 3/4" pipe on a slow (syphon) draw.
Sounds like a lot to me for a thermo-syphon..

Until told differently, I'm going on a possible 3.5 gallons (half the amount).
That would be 30 minutes to exchange the water in the tub (working with 100 gallons here).

If the exchanger works better than the pot (which it should, smaller mass to heat), and I can get 3.5 gallons to exchange in a minute, and I'm only designing for a 40F rise...

I'm believing this can happen.

RonO, you around???
Need some math help again!!!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  11:33:32  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

This is a 3' piece of wood in the hopper

Here is a short video of the fire pot

The tub was 65F at start 9:45 / 10:45 76F so far so good
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  15:10:22  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You got it man!!

Self feed an all!

10F in an hour!!

Well Done!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  16:48:32  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I needed to cover the top of the tub, just loosing to much heat so the wife went to the barn and found a motor home windshield insulated cover and it seams to work.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 07 2015 :  17:50:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, well done!

I threw together the exchanger, after seeing what you did today..
And I'll be.. Can't get a good fire happening..
Teach me for spending a few hours on the lake.. LOL!

I'm either cooling the flue too quickly
it's too windy
Or I'm just not on my game this evening..

You've done well today!
Now tell us:

Amount or size of container?
Line size?
Pressure if any?
Height of container vs. tub?

10 degrees in 1 hour..
I'm liking this!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 08 2015 :  17:23:35  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought some 4" parts toady and adjusted up.
Imagine that, more fuel, higher temps.. Who would of thought..

Drafting was fine, with a short feed, but I do need to go 6" or so longer.
I'm also going back to my original thoughts and getting that 'tunnel as short as possible.
The elbow will be directly into the Draft Tube.

Doug just proved it can be done.
I have his stove as an 840 Btu unit.
Nicely done!
(1 degree x temp change x gallons)

I'm finding the closer I have the flame to the Draft Tube, the hotter the output.
Because I have a difference in size between my Draft Tube and the Feed tube, I believe 'my' flame must remain in the Feed Tube.
I need to get it as close as possible!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 11 2015 :  17:39:31  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My solar cover is doing the trick right now, so I'm slowing down, taking my time on the stove mod's.

The filter has come into play and made up one close to yours.
Again, the pump I had hanging around here and put it to use.
I just used a Yogurt container..

Would like to see it work in suction mode and turn it into a skimmer!

We'll see where that goes.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 11 2015 :  17:45:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I'd really like you to do a gallon of water test.

This can be a great baseline test for all of us to work with when building (creating an idea of) a stove.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2