International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Green Products
 Electric
 Anyone can compare the brightness of CFL vs LED?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - December 12 2013 :  01:17:59  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LED lighting seems to be on the rise right now. But I find it strange that for Solar application, they offer AC LED lighting.

I wonder if anyone can help do this testing:
- using battery as power source, with an inverter, to visually compare the brightness of say 15 watt LED lighting with 15 watt CFL.
- If you have radiant/joule thief CFL lighter, please also compare it too.
- Since direct looking can be harmfull, decide the brightness from reflected/refracted light.

I would appreaciate it if you take note of the ampere draw from the battery during the testing.

This is a big favor, so I will really appreaciate the help. Thanks.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - December 12 2013 :  17:07:14  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have notes of comparison through what I've done.
Problem is most of mine deal with running of each vs comparing lumen..

From now to Christmas is busy, but I'll give it a go to see what I have.

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - December 12 2013 :  18:06:58  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much :).

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - December 17 2013 :  15:40:55  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have my best luck using hybrid 12V AC/DC bulbs. They actually run on 6V and employ a switchmode converter, so if you run them a long ways out on a wire on DC, and your voltage drop is significant, the bulb doesnt care because it will drop it further anyway. Likewise if the battery is dying, they are still as bright. You can get them to fit a standard household socket, difffused, and in warm white - which is great. And they ULTRA efficient cause they have no current limiting resistors. Way better than using a joule thief or joule ringer. They also accept 12VAC.

You must be logged in to see this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!

Edited by - kcarring on December 17 2013 15:42:21
Go to Top of Page

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - December 17 2013 :  20:50:24  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Does the current consumption match their rating?

Doesn't switchmode converter work the same way as joule ringer? Buck/Boost? How do you know hybrid LED is way better than joule ringer? Have you try to lit them with joule ringer or similar?

Thanks.

twally67
Average Member

USA
251 Posts

Posted - December 17 2013 :  22:14:26  Show Profile Send twally67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if i might add some ideas to look at you should check out lasersaber youtube channel and website he has a fairly good understanding between CLF and LED lighting especially with joule circuits...i hope this helps

sometimes meltdowns though kinda $$ make the best inspirations!!!

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - December 17 2013 :  22:35:34  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I admire lasersaber work.

I have done some work with CFL too, this bellow is full brightness / same as original brightness.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2