I once had a faulty battery on my car (old toyota). If I don't warm it up often, the batter get depleted. I usually charge it with my circuit, seems to consume around 1.5A or so. I use long single copper telephone wire to connect the output to the battery. The wire stay cool and the car can be charged in about an hour. I would notice an increase of charge when I try to start the ignition. No kick, to some starter motor kick.
Then one day my charger broke. That day a relative visit me. So I ask for battery jumpering. But since his battery capacity is lower, I ask if he can make his car run idle (a Isuzu panther). He did.
I noticed right away that the wire is hot. I used the same telephone wire. So I thought there would charge in my car's battery. But it is not. There is still no kick at all.
I ask him to let it flow for 15 minutes. Even after get past 15 minutes, there is no kick at all. Even when the other car still running, it was not powerfull enough to power the starter or to charge my car's battery.
This amaze me.
What do you think? Anyone ever get the same experience?
Yes my smaller gauge jump wires won't start bigger batteries. There is only a small watt rating on them. They work fine on smaller loads, but I have had them burn out at the grip connectors when used on bigger ones.
difference is the cars alternator and your radiant charger the radiant charger I am sure is not pushing electric to anything but the battery being charges where as the alternator is only able to use a portion of the power it produces to charge the battery also the thickness of wire is restricting the current flow which is why it is best to use larger cables for jumping a car by applying a little more throttle will allow more current to be produced by the alenator