International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Solar Power
 Need diagram for charge stopper and runner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - November 28 2013 :  04:51:48  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to make solar powered radiant charger. My problem right now is I do not know how to stop charging when the battery is full, or how to make the circuit start charging when the battery is empty.

If possible, I also want to bypass the radiant charger when the sun is at peak.

Anyone know a simple way to do this? (without microchip)

Thanks.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - November 28 2013 :  08:27:15  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take a look at Kyle's work here;
You must be logged in to see this link.

You may find some items of interest for your project.

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - November 28 2013 :  09:26:52  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I look a bit and I don't see a way to stop charging automatically?

Clouds, haze or shade should not be a problem for my circuit. But automatic stopping is important.

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - November 28 2013 :  10:51:22  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi sucahyo

You would need a comparator circuit to be auto stop. The thing you need is to use the C20 rate on a battery and set up the charger to take 20 hours to charge and stop it manually. As you saw in KC research he set up his to charge all the time which drains the battery at night BUT keeps charging so that the Desulfation continues. This type of unit is made for a battery size to match the coil, you can fudge this to some point but to small a coil on a large battery won't give you a C20 rate (example small coil may take 60 hrs to charge a battery or not at all) to big a coil will can cook a small battery (Example SS SSG 5T 18 ga wire will cook a 18 to 34 ah battery) the C 20 rate is the best way figure your coil for the battery you to charge. Hope this helps

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

sucahyo
Average Member

Indonesia
246 Posts

Posted - November 28 2013 :  21:02:37  Show Profile  Visit sucahyo's Homepage Send sucahyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you.

But in my experience using C20, radiant charger will charge the battery much faster than 20 hours. On 1 amp input my circuit charge empty 70Ah in 15 hours (reported by replicator). Another example, a 1000mAh battery (nicad) can be charged within 10 minute with 500mA input (250mA measured on battery), when the manual says 1 A input require 1 hour to charge.

This manual says that fast charge require 1000mA for 1.1 hour. But I am sure that with 1 Amp input by an hours my circuit would toast the battery and break it (Did break them few times because of overcharging).

We can not use normal charging formula when using radiant charger.

I am more worried for overcharging because my circuit will produce more output when battery reaching full condition.

Temperature sensor is useless because with radiant charger the battery would already full before it get warm. And when it is hot, it would already broken. This apply to nicad, nimh, lithium, gel and wet lead acid battery.

Edited by - sucahyo on November 28 2013 21:06:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2