International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Home Heating
 How are you heating your home?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - May 27 2014 :  17:20:36  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks HK!

I am on LPG, living 'outside' of the city so Natural is not available to me. Though I'd be very happy if it was.. (3 miles away.. even worst, is the truck line runs through our town. More even, is we lease the rights for them to do this..)

That's a nice unit and how it's rigged is awesome!

It was a tough decision whether to go 'insta' vs 'Superstore'.
I'm very happy with my decision, but still wish to see something like what you've done here.
Costs of Hydronic panels are still prohibitive..

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - June 09 2014 :  06:45:41  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi OD.
What we call a 'Hot-Press' is the small room where the boiler is kept. Mine is located between 2 bedrooms on our landing. We keep bedding and towels and such stuff there.

After some more research, I discovered that the stove I was looking at (in my sisters home) is a big brand name here.
You must be logged in to see this link.

I have found another brand at a fraction of the cost which is better suited to my needs, but I don't know how it compares to the other one.

The 12kw seems to be the better choice and is 500euros without a flue. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 09 2014 :  18:16:37  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there Dave! Hope all is well!

I've looked at both stoves, both seem equal to air intake, give or take a little.
That is assuming that top intake is for the firebox.

The second claims an "Air Wash" which I don't believe.
Drawing cool air, mixed with heated is not an Air Wash..
Put that aside and look at the rest.
A 'True Air Wash' is a reclaiming stove or re-burn style.
From what I see neither are.

The Waterford states not to use " Do not use high moisture content fuels as they will affect performance & damage the unit.".
This leads me to believe it may be catalytic style.
Though I read nothing to tell me this.
So I ask.. Is this something you folks in Ireland use?
Catalytic type stoves??

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these types..
I'm just not a fan of another component in my stove I have to deal with..
Especially if I don't need it to achieve the same result.
With that said.. The best stove I have seen lately comes from my own state and uses the Catalytic and re-burn systems..
Still following the numbers on it for final judgment.

Next is the boiler factor.
What I could not find is how they/either run their plumbing.
To me this is very important.

Inside the firebox is wrong on so many points.
Skirting the firebox is better, again on so many points.
Skirting the Plenum.. Least efficient for direct claim of heat, yet most efficient of re-claiming.

I burn wood.
If it's not dry wood, I have to deal with Creosote.
If it doesn't burn hot enough, I have to deal with creosote
Pulling heat out of the firebox reduces flue temp, creosote..
Skirting the firebox, means a hotter fire, but not that bad..
Skirting the plenum, reduces heat back to the room, but has no effect on the flue or creosote.
Also means I don't need to burn more to keep the flue temp up.

I'll tell you Dave, I've been working on this for a while now.
I'm a fan of skirting the firebox.
I'd burn a bit more if the return was there..
But...
I'd want a 'super insulated' water tank to store it in..

I do not believe a boiler is better to heat the home, when it comes to a wood burner..
Just My Humble Opinion

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 29 2014 :  09:01:19  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I have laid in next season's wood pellets, 200 bags of 70/30 hardwood. I want to be ready for the next bad winter that to be coming again.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - October 07 2014 :  19:53:55  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

The pellet stove will be working this week. Its to go down to 33F by Friday. Hope all of you have your wood in stacks. Good Luck to all
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - October 18 2014 :  16:07:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way back when Doug, I said I'd shoot a video of when I do this years cleaning.
Well, it was just too dirty and the film crew (wifey) wasn't home for it.
She ran for the store once she heard 'stove cleaning'.. LOL

This is the 4th(?) season with the pellet stove and last year, when I shut down for the season, I didn't like the way it was burning and knew it needed a through cleaning.

Fly ash collects everywhere and some areas are rather tough to get to.
I know we tried to find those outlets in yours and couldn't seem to lock down where they where.
I regularly clean those in mine from inside the firebox and it's important to.
Even with that..
You won't believe the amount of 'fly-ash' collected inside the unit.

So, somewhere inside your firebox you have an inlet and exhaust. Since pellet stoves work on negative air, fly-ash is being drawn out the exhaust, through the plenum, pass the blower and out you flue.

If you open the side of your stove, you should see, way down low on the plenum, close to the inlet, a plate that allows you excess inside.
Most diagrams don't show it mainly because they want the tech doing this.
This is the easy way in and I'll be doing this each year now.

I pulled too much out of there to feel good about it.
I pulled the blower out.
Oh My!

3hrs effort, but I'll tell ya.. Well worth it!
It runs like new!

Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - October 25 2014 :  15:38:49  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a briquette maker from the local supermarket. They were only 14 euros as compared to 28 euros in the local hardware store.
I have my paper and cardboard soaking and plan to try make some briquettes in a day or so.
I am also going to try my '9 briquette in one' homemade device for the first time too.
They will be tested in my friends small 2kw stove - he will be supplying the beer for the testing!
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - October 25 2014 :  17:21:53  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IrishDave

I bought a briquette maker from the local supermarket. They were only 14 euros as compared to 28 euros in the local hardware store.
I have my paper and cardboard soaking and plan to try make some briquettes in a day or so.
I am also going to try my '9 briquette in one' homemade device for the first time too.
They will be tested in my friends small 2kw stove - he will be supplying the beer for the testing!

Be interesting to see what you find!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - April 04 2015 :  11:04:07  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Just am update. Days are getting warmer and I am down to 15 bags left of pellets from the 200 I purchased last summer. It looks like we had enough for the heating season and no other heat was used except for the can heater and clothes dryer recovery. On the very cold days the stove was on a setting of 4 out of 5 but with fans redirecting heat the pipes never froze, nor did my wife! She enjoyed the stove -28F outside and still 72F in front of her tv and computer. All in all a good winter season for the pellet stove's first season.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 05 2015 :  08:40:31  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear the stove went well and 'all' stayed warm!

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 05 2015 :  08:53:40  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update for you Doug.
I retired my little pellet stove (The Forrester) and it's heading to the room over the garage once completed (so semi-retired I guess).

I bought a St Croix Element and what a difference!
2.5 times the burn-time and so much less ash..
Thermostat controlled (set on an set-back thermostat).

Went through half as many pellets this year and this year it ran constant..
I'm really liking this unit!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - April 05 2015 :  10:53:46  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

How many lbs# did you burn this winter?

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 06 2015 :  15:43:51  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far I've gone through 97 bags.
Down to 3 bags left..

Burned two cords of wood as well.
Yet the wood is either free or half the price of pellets per (delivered and spilt).

I bought the new stove mid-season, so no good relevant data for seasonal burn.
Just performance data.
So far, half last years cost, but heating 24/7..
An amazing difference.

Don't attempt to compare stove to stove, as I don't.. We use them differently.
Mine is use to heat my axillary space, which we use, but not the main space of the home.

My wife and I argue about moving the pellet stove upstairs.
It's so more convenient, but twice the cost (at the least).
I still can't convince her to come out and stack and move either...

Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - August 11 2015 :  06:51:58  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks.

It has been a while since I last posted. Hope everyone is doing well?

There was a hold put on most of my projects due to lack of funding and bad health, but things are looking up a bit now.
We decided to hold off on a wood stove for our sitting room and it will now be a multi fuel stove (with back boiler) in our dinning room. I will have it in place before the winter. I made some briquettes last year and I have not even tried burning one of them yet. The tiles still sit in my front garden for the canopy that is not yet built, but I have a fine stock pile of wood saved up.
I don't remember if I already posted that I build 2 rocket stoves and I made another multi fuel stove from a gas cylinder. It works a treat and I almost have all the fittings to turn it into a waste oil burner. I have a free supply of waste oil, both engine and food grades. If it works as well as others say it does, I hope to scale it up and connect it to my heating, although that will be next year at the earliest.

The KW of new burner for the house has not been decided yet. My brother in law has just bought one and it should be installed in the coming week or two. I am waiting to see his results before deciding on how much KW to water are needed.
I know the KW for my home and heating, but he has gone for overkill - 14kw needed and he got a 21kw. I am curious to see if his room temp will stay down enough to heat the water to a proper temp for the heating system. I think his room will be too hot for the water to reach a good temp. This has been pointed out to me many times to me as very important, as many people do not realize that the KW output to the room is completely different from the KW going to the back boiler.
My existing gas boiler is 18KW (I think) and the KW needed for output in the dinning room is 4kw. I will be removing the radiator from the dining room, so I think a 20kw multi fuel stove should be plenty.

I will post the link for the new stove when I decide which one to get.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - August 11 2015 :  14:08:29  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Good to here from you, hope all is better now. Will look forward to your stove all it can do.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - August 11 2015 :  16:10:57  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent to see you back and feeling better. I was getting concerned after our last conversation as to how you were doing..

Would love to see a pic or link to what you're looking at!
You Euro's have such a better take on how to do things like this.
Then again, it's because it costs you so much more.. (Fear not, we're getting closer..)

Best to you and Yours Dave!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 10 2016 :  11:01:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I am going to build a Arduino for the pellet stove. I think it will word better than my magnets and clock.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 12 2016 :  16:18:08  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That will be interesting!
Keep me posted.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 12 2016 :  16:32:32  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did 'upgrade' last year to the St Croix Element.
I do like the differences and an happy I did.
It has been great so far on the shoulder season and having the heat come on by thermostat in the morning is 'very' welcoming!

As the season increases, as we're just getting into, the woodstove is in action.
I will probably never (hard word to use) leave the woodstove.
It's just so clean a heat and fuel this year is cost of labor only.

I'll be looking for your updates and see if I can add it to mine.
You always seem to come up with something to make it just a bit better!

Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 23 2016 :  06:59:40  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks.

Not much as changed since my last posting, although my brother in law did get his stove installed.
The model he picked is not what I would have chosen, but it works brilliantly. The burn chamber is only 14 inches wide on the front, but it is huge in the dept. He worked out his average savings on a weekly basis and thinks he will save at least 500euros over the first winter. There is hot water almost 24/7 and the house is nice and cosy.

My wife likes the inset stoves, but we finally came to an agreement on a stand alone, when I found some really nice pictures online. I want to be able to boil/cook above the stove if needed. An inset stove won't allow that.

I am in the process of pricing units and learning what has to be done to the fireplace/chimney.
Different people are giving me conflicting info. I have been advised to increase the size of the copper piping on my heating system throughout the house, while I don't know of even one person that has done that.
Another friend advised that I get a type of collector tank (can't remember the name of that)that will hold at least 1k litres, so the heating can be ran while the stove is not lighting - takes the hot water that is stored up in the tank.
I can see how this could save a lot more fuel, as my brother in law is having to run the bath to empty the hot water when it gets too hot.

It will still be a few weeks before the stove is installed, but my wood stocks are still growing weekly.

I will be sure to show before and after pics of the project when it swings into action.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - February 23 2016 :  17:01:52  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good to hear from you Dave!

'Super store Tank' or collection tank is what a friend went with off his oil burner.
Highly insulated and he loves it!
Me, looking at what he paid and what it is.. I could have insulated his existing tank for much less, but that's just me..
And I'm the guy that went propane for my hot water needs and using an instant system. No tank.

For wood, definitely a tank of enough size to meet your needs, your recovery time between and not over-load.
Sizing is according to your needs.

The Chimney/flue has to be sized to your unit. The Manufacturer should have recommendations to size, according to height.
Tell us what your looking at and I'd be happy to look it up.
If you go metal, I will say watch your elbows (not body, turns in the flue..Ha).
Metal has a different effect on moisture.

Pictures please!
So happy to hear from you!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - October 24 2016 :  15:34:03  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Well it is that time of the year and I have just got in this years pellets, down from last years load only 150 bags. That is what we used last year and had 50 bags left so we only purchased only 100 to go with the 50 we had left. Cheep heating this year. Good luck to all

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - October 25 2016 :  17:36:45  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree it's that time again.

Two more cords put up for next, 1.5 left from last season.
Awaiting my supplier of pellets to get his Okanagan Douglas Firs in.
They cost a bit more, but burn so clean!
And heat output is great, for my stove.. Important to match your stove to the pellet and what you wish to do for maintenance.

I do like my little IF converted candle heater in the bedroom. Would love to convert it to battery operation, but draw is an issue there.
Maybe something like the Toroid heater in the future.

Had so much fun working on the Rocket Stove to heat the tub this year (and Doug kicking my butt on how well his did, LOL) and trying to see how to implement it into the winter seasons heat for the house.
Ya, another project ongoing.

Winter is coming my friends!
Stay warm!

Let's see if we can't find another alternative so we all can simpler.

Go to Top of Page

Karen Stogz

USA
13 Posts

Posted - April 19 2017 :  09:26:16  Show Profile Send Karen Stogz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are ways to keep your home warm without blasting the heat You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 19 2017 :  17:47:12  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karen Stogz

there are ways to keep your home warm without blasting the heat You must be logged in to see this link.

Some very good thoughts here! Thank you Karen for posting!

Drafty windows are a 'huge' preponderant to staying warm, as do good curtains and to insulating those windows.

I'm a fan of carpet, wifey, well not so much.. Keep the door open while showering. That I'll differ with.. I like the bathroom warm!

I'll tell ya, if you need a fireplace plug, you missed the boat on how to actually warm your house efficiently. Get an insert or re-build (as I did) and get a quality woodstove. You'll use at least half the wood.

Insulate. Hopefully you have. If not please do so!

Hmm.. Leave the oven door open after cooking.. Whether open or closed the heat will dispense into the room. Hmm..

Door stoopers. Heck ya! If your doors leak that much air? It's an issue. Cure it.

Sorry, Bubble wrap will not pass the wife. Really don't see it better than good curtains. To be honest, don't see Bubble wrap passing me.. I'm a curtain fan.

Auto thermostat is a must! Wish my woodstove had one but that would be weird (LOL). My pellet stove has one!

Now, Doug will hate me for this, but those terra cotta heaters really don't warm the room. Add to, yes. Just don't think it's all you need.
I've run small and large, multi shelled vs. singular and found the one I run is a hybrid. Large shell (10") pot, with metal fins, run by a infra light on a thermostat. Keeps my bedroom comfortable, yet I like a fairly cool bedroom. Sub-zero temps and I can still get out of bed without feeling cold, well to me.. You don't want to touch the fins on mine, they'll burn ya. Note: thermostatically controlled.

Bundle up, oh ya! 'tain't anyway of staying warm then cuddling up with your honey, with the fire going and telling or reading a good story!

Thanks again for the post!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - April 19 2017 :  20:11:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I found something you might like for you P stove and I am trying it out tonight.

I am running it in mode 8 and set the cycle to 9999 so that will last the hole heating season. I have the two wires from the door switch and one goes to the com and the other goes to NC. This is run by 12 battery (SLA) for now but we will see how much power it uses. The timer is set for 12 seconds closed and 15 seconds off and this can be changed very easily. The pellets this winter was very cold (walnut) and then very HOT (Blond maple?) Hope this helps for next heating season.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  08:08:47  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

That is all I burned last for a 10 hr. run. I just filled the hopper and it took 10.7 lbs. The top of the stove was 96F and the heat coming out of the front grill was 156F. I changed the O/F time 2 times last night to 14on 20 off then that was to low so I went 15on and 18 off and that is what is running now. It only takes 10 seconds to change the time values and I wished I had one of these timers last fall, that will make a bag last for almost 42 hrs. and that's almost twice as long as with out a timer not to mention a lot less heat to through away while my wife is standing in front of the heater saying I AM COLD and I have the door open trying to compensate. LOL

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  16:04:06  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doug, is your Pellet stove thermostatically controlled?

I put an Auto set back thermostat on mine. Really liking this. Set to warm the house before I get up, then low for the day (let the sun do it's thing), goes back up for when I return home from work, then low again as I'm home to run the woodstove.

The system is working well with the new Pellet Stove!

So, what did I burn this year?
4 face-cord of wood (equates to 1 1/3 cord US)
Figure just about 65 bags of pellets (5 left over from last year, 40 bags out in the garage from the second buy).

I switched over to Curran Pellets this year. Better price, hot burn, very low ash. My Stove loves 'em.
Understand this all.. Not all stoves are created equal. What works for me, may not for you.
Find the pellet that 'Your' stove loves!
I say try these Curran's and see how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  16:20:14  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

Never heard of them, where do you get them?

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  17:33:38  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry folks... Cubex Pellets.
Currans I have also run, but my stove doesn't like them.

Cubex:
The Mother company is Lauzon. Manufacturer of hardwood flooring out of Canada. Using their own by-product to produce the pellets.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2