International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Fuels from recycled rubbish
 ethanol from Kudzu?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - October 17 2013 :  00:20:24  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anyone seen this?
You must be logged in to see this link.

A lot of people seem to be down on alcohol for fuel on a number of points, but I think if we had a surplus of it, like from this weed (grows 1 foot a day and up to 60 foot a season where that article's company they are reporting on, is located, and it has been known to grow so fast that it can destroy a tree in a summer, and basic houses are collapsed under its weight in 2 years, 3 to 5 years for brick and stone buildings are destroyed to the point that only their foundations are salvageable (provided you came to build something kudzu tolerant since poisoning it only works with poisons that will also destroy crops for miles around, and burning it would only work if you burned and turned the ground too killing all roots)

however if it was a feed stock for a major industry I am sure the effort we put into drilling say for oil, turned against this weed would quickly get it in check, and would provide crude oil that both does not damage the chemicals in the process making a longer lasting refinery system that required less maintenance, and got higher yields of product per gallon of the oil *(wait I thought you were talking alcohol!!) I am

here is how I get from alcohol to crude oil.

alcohol + sulfuric acid produces ethylene as a gas, this can be bubbled through a solution of benzoyal peroxide. that produces polyethylene plastic, which is the easiest to convert to a clean crude oil devoid of any of the contaminants that destroy catalysts and clog equipment at refineries as well as produces a lot of toxic waste, so we get fuel and plastics, with out any of the toxins that can not be easily dealt with, like heavy metals and such. and it comes from a source that is easy to convert to it, from simple pyrolytic processing, so shipping it around is easy, as either pellets or bricks, and the product can be used to build with too. being one of the best plastics going now.

also everything in the process can be cycled as the sulfuric acid transforms from the process to something useful in cracking the oil to make fuel, and other items, and some of these uses convert the byproduct back into sulfuric acid so it can then be used again to make ether (ethylene) this would I am sure be easily scaled up and would not only not require the refineries to do much tooling change to do this, but infact doing so would clean out and process a lot of stuff that is in their systems now by flushing it through, and would be cheaper by far over the crude they get now, since the yeast will work for free, and the Kudzu plants are wanted to be gotten rid of, thus not only would it be free and wanted to be removed but could even be subsidized by paying for the crews to cut it down and remove it at say half the cost of normal removal, since they are not just weeding but are also harvesting for their processes.

Thoughts?

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

screaminvern

USA
121 Posts

Posted - October 22 2013 :  18:19:10  Show Profile Send screaminvern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Architect thanks for posting this. I am currently enrolled in an renewable energies program and although I don,t have any thoughts, the web site will make for an interesting conversation in class.

{History does "not" repeat it's self, idiots repeat history.}
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1433 Posts

Posted - May 19 2014 :  16:25:56  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone followed this?

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

screaminvern

USA
121 Posts

Posted - August 02 2014 :  02:32:41  Show Profile Send screaminvern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR, Its a great idea, but until someone figures out a way to crack the cellulose molecule mystery for "economically" extracting the sugars in plants,fossil fuel will still have an edge. I can't find all the links I used to have for this subject, but these are pretty decent. You must be logged in to see this link.

Another problem, congressional backing is growing tired of production projections falling short. The cellulose ethanol producers keep telling congress "We will have it in five years", and five years later they say "We will have it in five years". They're getting close to "five yearing" themselves out of political backing.

I feel bio-diesel needs more R&D but that's MHO. It has more energy density than petroleum gas. You must be logged in to see this link.

{History does "not" repeat it's self, idiots repeat history.}
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2