International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Magnetic Motors
 making diamagnetic sheet for shielding and such
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - September 05 2013 :  05:16:30  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if this should be here or not, but I managed to make some diamagnetic graphite (naturally occurs as "vein" graphite) that is only available in little pellets and crumbs about .5 to 1.5mm in size so it makes it kinda useless really as crumbs, and I had seen someone had used a grinder to grind it up into powder then press it together to get a sheet, but instead of grinding I just used high pressure and a containment of a sheet of paper folded up to hold it all together.

when done you get a sheet that is kinda delicate. so I sprayed it with clear spray paint and it was much more stable when done :)

pics of the sheets after done

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
You must be logged in to see this link.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - September 05 2013 :  05:53:33  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
video of the granules to show size a bit :)

Edited by - The_Architect on September 05 2013 05:54:31
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 01 2016 :  02:25:28  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
working on something new that I have detailed more in the general discussions that is a paint-able diamagnetic coating for shielding (my purpose for making it but there may be many other applications like sleeves to go around tesla coils that slide up and down to tune them in other manners, and the like)

the material in this new attempt is bismuth turned into a super fine (think baby powder) particle while still in a metal state (not combined with other elements to make salts) and while it is only a quarter of what graphene or highly ordered graphite which is what the original post here is displaying, it is not meant for levitation or anything like blocking magnetic fields all on its own (even graphene can not do that effectively as diamagnetic fields are not really very strong on any material) I am shooting for making super saturation highways for magnetic energy to be redirected into using a layer of steel between two layers of bismuth by tinning the surfaces of the steel using flux and bismuth powder,

I have had good success too considering my method of heating (soldering iron tip on a sheet that was a triangle of steel about 1 inch on either side of the right angle :) ) so I have confidence that larger pieces with a thin coating heated with a heat gun pushing out only 40 to 50 more degrees higher than the melting point of the bismuth should be sufficient to completely tin my surfaces evenly for later lamination :) any comments, ideas, questions feel free to ask or state here or over on the main thread close to the top of the general forum as of the posting of this comment :)

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 16 2016 :  15:01:09  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh I should add too that I will update my messages to include my new youtube channel

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 17 2016 :  18:15:54  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Bismuth mainly because it's non-toxic and easy to work with.
Yet I'm finding it weak as a diamagnetic.

Well that is for my purpose..
I need to go much further than a coating.
Hence my casting of almost 1/4"..

I've been searching for a good chart of minerals/components that list diamagnetic strengths..
You have one, please share..

Funny how easy it is to find one that shows magnetic strengths..

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - March 17 2016 :  18:28:51  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I have been trying to keep up but OLD DOG RULES can't teach thing LOL (ME)
I did find this trying to understand what you are doing. Chart at the bottom.

hope it helps

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 19 2016 :  08:21:19  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also found this

There are others out there like, Pyrolytic carbon
Which has 3 times diamagnetic quality.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - March 19 2016 :  08:30:42  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting chart. I like it

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 19 2016 :  08:59:42  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually meant to post this page of it..

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - March 19 2016 :  09:13:25  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL that's to many numbers

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - March 19 2016 :  15:30:07  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank God they put them in order.. also LOL

I haven't found one 'yet' of 'man-made' products.
That's where Pyrolytic carbon would fit in..
Or maybe that's all they telling us about for now..

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 26 2016 :  18:44:21  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the issue I found with carbon based compounds is that the whole unit is not diamagnetic, like graphene sheets it is diamagnetic from one axis but on the other axes it is very strongly paramagnetic, ie the flow through it causes a diamagnetic response more than the individual atoms causing this effect unlike bismuth, where even a single atom is diamagnetic. I have other ideas on the subject but I am sticking to voice over skype or oovoo or some other voice chat to discuss this, as it can and does get very lengthy when talking about it, however I have OBS to record audio and video off my screen and speakers so anyone wanting to listen in later I dont mind sharing with, I just dont want to fall into one of those traps of :"hello my name is such and such and this is MY discovery/invention" on youtube. :)

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 26 2016 :  19:02:42  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh I should note that I will not post anything from OBS or share it that I record of our conversation should we decide to do so, as a group unless everyone in the conversation is ok with sharing it as well. :)

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2