International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 2013 Pulse motor build off
 BUILD PROGRESS SECTION
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 10 2013 :  07:10:13  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

swim at 90 degrees to the current and gain speed in two directions

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 10 2013 :  07:26:30  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Kult
You want 1/4 inch(6mm) copper wire ???
What in the hell are you building out there???

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

Kultus

Australia
614 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  02:21:54  Show Profile  Visit Kultus's Homepage Send Kultus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tube or wire ether will do the job mate 1/4 in copper tube was "easiest" to get I thought... damn this ... if I don't get the copper soon it's gonna be another year *cries*

Never give up, it only takes one crazy Idea to go right, and your not so crazy any more - Kultus 2011

Facebook: You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - Kultus on September 11 2013 02:49:01
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  03:41:03  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need the wire to be solid copper ? I have some 6mm2 strand, but also have 6mm ID soft copper tube !!!

50 feet of 6mm2 wire has some weight to it !!!

Let me know !!!

Alan

Edited by - hkalan on September 11 2013 03:45:03
Go to Top of Page

Kultus

Australia
614 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  05:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Kultus's Homepage Send Kultus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tube is perfect Alan

Never give up, it only takes one crazy Idea to go right, and your not so crazy any more - Kultus 2011

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  06:38:33  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kultus,

Send me a PM and give me the details...

Alan

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  09:44:22  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alan-it will need to be on the fast boat from china lol.Kultus has less than two week's lol.
Is that 1/4 ID kult? or OD?.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  11:02:32  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey TM,

Good question !!!

I need the exact details ASAP, as tomorrow is Thursday. It can ship out Thursday night and you will have by late Friday (an Ozy in the marina has a company here and in Oz, to overnight the package for us).

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Kultus

Australia
614 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  19:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Kultus's Homepage Send Kultus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OD Tinman

Go to Top of Page

hkalan

Hong Kong
1019 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  19:59:28  Show Profile  Visit hkalan's Homepage Send hkalan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kultus,

I dug out the soft copper pipe I have stowed below. It measures 6.38mm OD. I have approximately 17m of it...

Let me know !

Alan

Go to Top of Page

Kultus

Australia
614 Posts

Posted - September 12 2013 :  00:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Kultus's Homepage Send Kultus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good. I have no excuses now, it arrived in town today.... right!, back to it :D

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 12 2013 :  08:51:57  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is good to hear Kult,as the longest i could get here is only 5 meter lengths,oh and a cost of $67.00 a length lol
Good old bunbury lol.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 12 2013 :  08:53:24  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 12 2013 :  08:55:43  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just reposting the link to Russes forum PMBO thread for those that want to take a look.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

Kultus

Australia
614 Posts

Posted - September 13 2013 :  05:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Kultus's Homepage Send Kultus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stop it with the dang timer updates ...lol hahaha

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 13 2013 :  06:41:50  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

erfinder

26 Posts

Posted - September 13 2013 :  15:44:58  Show Profile  Send erfinder a Yahoo! Message Send erfinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tinman,

Here is my official entry video for the 2013 build off. If this isn't the proper place, please let me know so that I can put it in the right place.

Regards

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 14 2013 :  02:42:35  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well better late than never lol.
Didnt know what to build,so thought i'd try something that may be usful to others one day.
Here is the start of the Altipulse.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 14 2013 :  02:44:16  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And as usual,we find something interesting not far into the build.
Anyone care to have a stab at an answer to the video below?-as i dont have one lol.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

tecnovative

USA
39 Posts

Posted - September 14 2013 :  06:34:13  Show Profile Send tecnovative a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinMan

And as usual,we find something interesting not far into the build.
Anyone care to have a stab at an answer to the video below?-as i dont have one lol.

TM, It would seem that there isn't a magnetic path between both ends of the core. A split core perhaps? I suggest checking for electrical continuity between the pole pieces. You could also stick a strong PM on one pole piece then check if the flux makes it through to the other pole piece.

Second thought, it looks like each pole piece disc is split into two hemispheres. If so then perhaps four spokes on one pole piece connect magnetically to four spokes of the opposite pole piece 90* or 180* offset? It looks like there is a wire termination at the seem of the two hemispheres with a piece of tape across the seem, whats that for?
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 14 2013 :  09:00:16  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi erfinder.
Great to see you in on the PMBO.Here is the link to the final video thread,so just pop it in there aswell.It can stay here to ofcourse.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 14 2013 :  09:04:38  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tec
The wire is one of two for the coil(electromagnet) between the two pole plates.
The plates with the fingers on them,are standard altinator rotor plate's-one solid piece each side of the coil.They are open circuit to each other.There is no diodes ore any other thing in there-just the coil to produce the magnetic field.
So i dont know why only one side has the field,and yet it flips when we change the polarity???.
I will start a new thread on this,insted of filling the PMBO thread up with it.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

moroz

2 Posts

Posted - September 14 2013 :  15:48:03  Show Profile Send moroz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi, guys, that’s a great idea to get sort of build-off run, not only because of prizes but because of stimulating of thinking and searching for ideas and versions;
i wish the same would be done, say, with Lenz-less generators, or with alternative (individual) flying saucers…
here’s my “intro” video for version of pulse motor ("prove-of-concept" small desk-top models), hope i’ll manage to build it in time…
cheers
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 14 2013 :  21:52:19  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Moroz-and welcome to the IAEC
Have a go at getting your pulse motor done,but even if it isnt finished,still post your final video in the final video section,as it will still count.The judges will look at how it was to work,and your concepts behind it.
Good luck.
Brad

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - September 15 2013 :  07:37:36  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Just a quick update of where I am at.

After reading through the threads from the previous years, I noticed that some people did not manage to get finished in the allocated time, so I decided to get something simple working first to have a definite entry.
I built a pulse motor and recorded my device in action, so I have now have an entry for this years competition.

I am glad I did it that way, as the device would not start when I expanded on it! LOL.
It took me over an hour of staring blindly at it before I realized my mistake - I built the wrong circuit for the setup!

So here is where I am now - I have a pulse motor that needs a new circuit, I have a circuit that needs a new pulse motor and I have another backup motor which I am rewiring for a third device.

I am not going to upload my progress video yet as it may become my final video if things go wrong this week.
It shows my motor running, but I only ran it for a few hours before I added to it and the thing then failed to start again.

Am I allowed to ask questions (or get help) on the forum regarding my setups? I spent many hours yesterday trying to find info on coil windings that might work on my setup. I just hope the info I got is correct so I can do my windings correct first time.

I hope to have at least 2 devices running by the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Kultus

Australia
614 Posts

Posted - September 15 2013 :  07:56:46  Show Profile  Visit Kultus's Homepage Send Kultus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick update

2pm this arvo: Two Days of messing with the primary coil ... omg first I have 1 extra hole in one of my combs and started from outside in, I get the whole coil laid and WTF it doesn't line up .... glued in and all FK it! ok ... strip down coil, clean copper, now it's so tight I almost can't work with it ...gluing as I go...about 1/3 of the way through, working from inside - out that way extra holes won't matter.....

9:30pm Ok finally finished the Sec coil, preparations for the secondary coil tomorrow, incl cleaning varnishing some PVC for a coil form ready to wrap during the week... oh I am not looking forward to that .... pitty my slayer coil is about 4 gauges too big and exactly 1 inch too short

Edited by - Kultus on September 15 2013 08:03:05
Go to Top of Page

netchecker007

Austria
132 Posts

Posted - September 15 2013 :  10:11:02  Show Profile Send netchecker007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi guys! i´m late but i´ll try it :-)
was busy with my boys, school started
and i didn´t have much time ...
Ok,my motor will be very simple,
a fan, a circuit, a 3 watt led lamp
and the lamp will be bright enough to
read a book and the battery will be charged
at the same time. wont´t be a efficient built,
but i hope useful :-)

Edited by - netchecker007 on September 15 2013 10:17:37
Go to Top of Page

netchecker007

Austria
132 Posts

Posted - September 15 2013 :  16:02:51  Show Profile Send netchecker007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, was trying out a few things and
found a solution. the fan is now modified,
i made a test circuit (simple bedini) with
a little modification an it seems to work
better than i thought. 130 ma are used and
the led is bright enough, the charge is slower
than normal, the 3 watt led is consuming power,
but it´s looking good ...

that´s the brightness of the led
Go to Top of Page

gnino

Italy
11 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  06:00:40  Show Profile Send gnino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

urcoffeetastestoasty

Netherlands
148 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  07:21:15  Show Profile Send urcoffeetastestoasty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are so many pulse motors builders in this competition and all give their own spin to it.
I love the enthusiasm and all the new entries.
I have already posted my final entry and I hope I fit in like a worthy contestant.

I am really fond of building better pulse motors and gee I worked myself into a new circuit.
It is called, mechanical amplifier oscillator.

I was wondering if this motor needed a new topic or if it could be posted amongst the builds, since it is the same motor?
Of course thanks for watching.

JP
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  08:13:28  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ urcoffetastetoasty
First up- ya name is to ruddy long lol.
So you need a nick name-how about we call you decaf? lol.
Anyway,feel free to start a thread in the pulse motor section,as the pulse motors always generate lots of interest here. And new ideas are often replicated almost straight away.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  08:14:57  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Kult
I new you would go all out on this one-and looking at the pic's,i see you have not disapointed.
I also see my old NST in ther lol,good to see it comeing to use.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  08:17:05  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NC
Nice bright light there for 30mA

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  08:19:37  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Gnino
Good to see your up and going.As it was a silent video,what is the motor for on the back of the rotor?,or is that what is driving it?.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

gnino

Italy
11 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  12:27:09  Show Profile Send gnino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi for now is only to support the rotor disk but id like to extract power from it keepenig the system quiete:-)
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 18 2013 :  06:25:10  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

Luciano
Average Member

212 Posts

Posted - September 18 2013 :  07:11:51  Show Profile Send Luciano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, i finally decided to participate, (I dont want to be the only one not to...;-)
But I will never get finished till sunday...

Anyway you can decide if you accept the input because I would have built it anyway.

What it is:

As I had enough of not being able to do some experiments because I was missing a motor, had to order fresh magnets etc.. etc..
I decided to build a sort of test bench.
A couple of rotors, with easy adaptable stators, strong magnets.
Each rotor being able to act as a stand alone pulse motor (bedini or hall sensor or both)
Or being able to work together, coupled on a single shaft or coupled magnetically on different shafts.

Also it should be able to turn at medium speed (around 3000 rpm) but also at low rpm with minimal draw (like 30 miliamps for a 4 pound rotor)

As to the coils, they should be changeable easily and quickly without having to unglue or unscrew anything.

Also I want an ampmeter before the run cap and a second one after the run cap, to monitor the difference in current if I loop back the system.

So after doing a series of experiments with coils, I designed a rotor type that I started building (3 times) also a series of stators with bearings allowing me to setup things quickly.

How far I am?

Well I finished cutting the plexiglas rotors:

And drilling the holes:

drilling was the worst, because the main rotors are 2 layers of 10mm plexi so keeping the holes exactly positioned on each layer is a real pain.

These are the finished rotors and stators:

I am spending all day today epoxying in the horizontal magnets.... will do the vertical ones tomorrow.

But i cant finish all 3 rotors as I shattered one of the vertical magnets (30mm diameter and 20mm height N45)
I wont be able to get a replacement by sunday.

But I will have 2 rotors running.

I finished the ciruits but i dont know if I will have the snap-in amp meters ready because i have to drill square holes and I am not to good at that.

On friday I will have to rebalance the rotors (as the holes for the vertical magnets are about 12 mm (some are 13, some 11) so there might be an imbalance as you can see on this test video.

(actually the outer mags are 10mm and not 8mm)

So thats it...

See how far I get till the 22nd

Cheers

Luc
Go to Top of Page

netchecker007

Austria
132 Posts

Posted - September 18 2013 :  17:54:00  Show Profile Send netchecker007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so, after messing up with my circuit board,
and this is really a simple one i use with my fan,
i did split the components on two boards ... that helped lol
... shouldn´t drink a beer or more before soldering :-)))
testing the circuit right now and it´s doing pretty well.
i will call it the "LongLastingCampingLightSSG". Having light and
charging a battery. if the run battery dropped voltage after
a few nights, just swap the batteries and enjoy the light.
... looks like the light will last for a long peroid ...

to luc: looks like you have a bigger mess there than i have here lol

here´s my mess ...

... testing

Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 18 2013 :  22:04:20  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Luciano
Yes,please enter,even if not finished.In your final video,just explain as to how the machine was is going to work once finished.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

gnino

Italy
11 Posts

Posted - September 20 2013 :  06:30:57  Show Profile Send gnino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi I'M in camping for the weekend if i dont post in the other thread please consider this my final video Thanks:-)
Ciao !!!
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - September 20 2013 :  06:40:40  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The final part of my device failed to run last night when I finished the build.
I think the magnets I have on the rotor are too small for the coil I have used. I am going to try make a smaller coil today and see if that changes things. I still have a working device, so I will be posting a final video within the time frame.
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 20 2013 :  21:05:54  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 20 2013 :  21:23:41  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entry from Rodrego

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 21 2013 :  05:26:16  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one is from firepinto
A most interesting setup being built here.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - September 21 2013 :  06:48:35  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got mine running :)

I used a thinner gauge bifiliar with a smaller core and it kicked into action.
The bearings I have used are about 15 years old and do need replacing, but once I greased them it stayed running.
I ran it for about 4 hours last night and made a video, but at 3.30am, I was not at my best and I now plan to make a better final video later today. I have not tested the draw or charging yet, but I will try include that info on the final cut.

I do not intend to keep my unit intact because I am planning on adding/modifying it for another project, but I will keep it as is, until the judges are happy for me to dismantle it.
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 21 2013 :  11:26:18  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By Tonyizaguirre.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

Luque

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - September 21 2013 :  13:07:54  Show Profile Send Luque a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By Rodrigo Luque

Probably my last update before the final video.
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 21 2013 :  21:24:06  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rodrigo
That circuit seems to work well.It is good to see something new, in way of circuits

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 21 2013 :  21:48:50  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - September 21 2013 :  21:52:50  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most complicated setup lol.

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2