International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Solar Power
 Solar Can Heater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  12:04:14  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I built this a couple of years ago and has prover to save me about 25 gallons of propane a heating season + keeps the house warmer. This is made from pop cans and a lot of work. It can be made IMHO much easer now and much faster probably 1 day, I worked on the heater you see 3 weeks with a cost of 275.00 us. Now with faster method probably under 100.00

Enjoying the heat

Doug

The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Still having fun.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  16:59:28  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one Doug !

I was just wondering if it took you 3 weeks to build because you had to drink the contents of the cans first ! , lol

All the best

ron
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  18:20:23  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

Yes it was drank in one night. LMAO It was at a tractor pull on a friday night and paid two nieces $.10 each to go under the grand stands and put them in a big plastic bag. Simple

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

screaminvern

USA
121 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  08:39:08  Show Profile Send screaminvern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did you use for the clear cover on the front? I just finished soaking and rinsing the cans yesterday for my can heater.
Thanks for posting this Doug!

One last question: Do you remember anything about the tractor pull? LOL!

Vern
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  11:13:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Vern

Glad to see you made it. The acrylic cover is .120" by 4'x8' Cost $135.00 not cheep, but when I got it I didn't know about a UV protestation for it so if you go to the expense of acrylic make sure to get the UV added. With the UV on it should last longer and won't turn cloudy. Acrylic is the only flexible and heat Resistances cover that can with stand strong wind and heat at the same time. Mine is on it third year and no sign of turning yet. I bought mine from a sign shop, its hard to come by in that size and I would NOT go any thiner-flexing. Hi temp silicone, cheapest place harbor fright 700 degrees RED. Send pic of your build so far and I can do same if you need. Hope this helps.

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  15:28:02  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , I am curious you mentioned a cheaper way to build can you give detail's ?
I've looked at these as a possibility for me in the future , I noticed people using solar attic fan's to move the air and that seem's to make sense cause you only would want it to run when there's sun..Thank's

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

Edited by - Kudzu on December 20 2011 15:28:58
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  16:12:44  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kudzu

First off attic fan won't move enough air, but you can use solar power to power with battery backup. It is a balancing act as is every thing. In my cans I put in flow adjusters to make the air go to the outside of the can to cool the can and heat the air but if you put to much air through it then the heat stays in the heater. The air has to be heated before it leaves. So with that said make your pipe out of alum drier vent tube and start at the bottom and make the tube come back on its self like flat S's from bottom to top. The more U turns the more it slows down the air but the more Chance you have to regulate heat with air movement. You can lay it out in 30 minutes, drilling can tops and bottoms and gluing them together take LONG TIME LONG TIME a lot longer than a Tootsie Roll. You then can screw and alum tape the joints. With insulated furnace pipe (flexible) you don't need to have it against the house, just a post on each end to support it and run the tubes in and out a window and that is where you would put your fan on the input side w/ filter. Mine gets to greater than 160 F + that is all the higher the thermo goes LOL harbor fright. Any way just some thoughts.

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  00:28:07  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , This is similar to the type I was thinking of there suppose to move at least 1000cfm ,I've seen em 1200 cfm and a lot cheaper with the panel included.. I guess it's the wrong time of year to buy one .. lol

You must be logged in to see this link.

This is a future project I want to tackle. It's one of those project's that seem's like it would save you money year after year..

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  03:07:32  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug

Forgot to mention , i did a series of tests in the 70's on improving the absorbance of heat by modifications to the black paint. Best results were obtained when micro glass spheres ( zerospheres by 3M ) but good results were also given when a small amount of kiln dried sand ( block paving type ) were mixed into the paint. Basically it just increases the surface area but it does make a difference in terms of heat absorbance.

ron
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  14:04:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

The fan is very good BUT the money and size, Home depot 6" was 25.00 for the 1000cf. your trying to neck it down to 3" the one you saw was 15 1/2" big diff. LOL good find for your new house.

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  14:06:44  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

Good info for my next one. I am thinking about putting a double for the basement but not tell next summer. Thanks

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  14:37:12  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , That's why I said I've seen em cheaper and smaller ... I've saw some with panel 6in around 750cfm for around $80. /// Just got back from makin the offer and gettin an idea of payment if everything goes through ... The payment is gonna really put me on a tight budget but, it will be worth it in the end though ...At least there will be an end to the payment's in time for my great great grandchildren ... lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  19:05:15  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Was that a vote for or against solar fan? Also you need a snap disk for it in line.

Doug

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  19:19:15  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, I'm votin for solar when I get to that point.. I'm thinkin if it's ran by it's own solar panel, I wont have to worry about power for it.. I just got to be patient .. I like to plan thing's out when they cost this much time and money , so when I get started I don't spend to discover could have gotten a lot cheaper or better ... The snap disk your talkin about is like a damper for an old stove pipe ,correct ?

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 23 2011 :  10:29:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

A snap disk is a thermo switch that comes on at 95F and shuts off at 90F so your heater has heat in it and cools off to shut down. It has elect to it at all times and that is what runs the fan. Ebay I think around 11.00.

Doug

Go to Top of Page

screaminvern

USA
121 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  17:26:41  Show Profile Send screaminvern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug, did you also use the hi temp silicone to bond the cans together?
I really don't have any pics to post as of yet because I'm just getting started... but I will!
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  18:27:14  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Vern

I don't have any of the pic you need here(daughters house to the 29th) but I have a friend who has them and will send them to me soon and then I will post. And yes high temp each with HT Silicone. I have lots of pic and will tell the story for each.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  19:44:56  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ron_o ,
Do you think paving sand dried in an home oven at 500 deg to mix with the paint would work ? I was thinking if I sprinkled the sand in the wet paint then let dry then put a top-coat paint to keep sand in place may be a cheap way to go.. Since you said it make's a big difference in temp..
I've tried to mix sand in paint for grip on step's before and I found it better to apply it this way.. Also, people could retrofit there existing panel's with the sand and paint, cheap an easy this way .. Maybe High Temp BBq grill paint from a gallon can .. Let me know your thought's and if you think this would be a good way to go or not ... Thank's

Edited by - Kudzu on December 25 2011 19:45:13
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  20:02:05  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

WE will need to know if the paint is on the inside or out side. Inside is to deflect the air in the can to absorber more heat in the air. The outside with sand is what I though Ron meant but he will need to say. The Paint should be High temp engine type BBQ didn't work well on mine it likes to flake after the first year.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  20:18:35  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er ,
Glad I asked , I sure would have went with the bbq paint ... Can you get the high temp engine paint in gallon or quart ? ... When we get settled, Soon I hope, I'm planning to start a collection of stuff to make this and a few other project's .. It's always better to collect the right stuff.. I was pricing paint a few weeks ago and they have became quite proud of it since the last I've bought.. lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  20:43:45  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I think it comes in qt , gal. or spray and still need to waite for Ron words on this

Doug
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  08:04:38  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

Nice setup.
Why is it positioned like that and is there a header where the cans join into?
I have seen a few people use those setups with great results even in the winter months.
Do you also have a link for the thermostat on ebay?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  09:15:09  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

The heater was a measure once and make two mistakes LOL I measured the inside wall and not the outside so the only way out was to put it sideways to fit. Yes it has a header and a footer. The snap disk I will have to look it up and get back to you.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  16:44:03  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Finally got the hard drive out of the old computer and have it copied on to this one so here is the pic of the can heater.

Cans glued in with the header in the stacker

Cans cut top and bottom ready to be washed

Cans rows in the header with diverters in the end that you can see they are in every one but the top can

Ruff box lay out

Before the acrylic glass

Dryer pipe going into the house before box installation

Fan coming out of house before installation

That is just some of the pic I have Hope you enjoyed this

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  18:47:48  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kudzu

Sorry , i have been busy and i forgot to check this topic.

My original work was carried out on a silicone modified alkyd based paint ( this was stable to 450 'C ) , gloss level about 15-20 units on a 60 degree head. I found that glass ( hollow ) microspheres gave the best results but i did also use dried "sharp" sand. From an application point of view it is better to incorporate the "additive" directly into the paint then apply to the workpiece. The method you suggested of sprinkling is also possible but difficult to control/apply evenly especially when pipes(hot water solar panel) are present.

The "trick" to this ( and all other types of work where heat resisting coating are used ) is only to apply a thin coat of paint
a dry film thickness of 1/1000 of an inch is all that is required ( reason :- thick paint films cannot expand and contract at the same rate as the metal substrate )

Primers :- Aluminium is a difficult metal to get paint to stick to , degrease then lightly abrade the surface and degrease again. the paint should be applied as soon as the degreaser has evaporated/dried.

The normal/standard paint is a 2 pack zinc chromate etch (wash) primer , this is only suitable for applications where the paint
will not be exposed to continious temperatures above about 120 ' C ( so hot water panels only ).

hope this helps

ron
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 22 2012 :  21:14:03  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

It should but not Intel next summer. I want to make 2 more panels with 3" alum drier tube so it won;t take three weeks of work to build may be 3 days LOL but I will come back to this and get with you on all of the paint and etching oh and the sand. The bubble glass I will have to work on. Thanks

Doug
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  03:10:01  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug

The glass spheres were manufactured by 3M and if i remember rightly they were called zerospheres

I will dig up my old notes and see if they are still available ( in some shape or form )

ron
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  20:17:56  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ron, Thank's for the info

==================================================

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  20:32:34  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

I will look them up and see if I can get my hands in them, How do they attach them??

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  20:44:41  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron and K

This a short list and this is it

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  21:45:33  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, Other than you said it was a pain to build and you said the paint chipping . Your solar heater seem's to be holding up fine to me..

Do you think you could get more cfm with a metal blade fan ?

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1052 Posts

Posted - January 24 2012 :  05:05:05  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug

They are simplly stirred into the paint and then (idealy) sprayed.... simple as that!

ron
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 25 2012 :  15:19:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron

Can't seam to find them in the US or on Ebay I am lost

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 25 2012 :  17:03:24  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,
Very nice project on that solar "can" heater...yes it "can".

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 25 2012 :  17:23:06  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

It Is a "can" do project for any one who thinks they "can"

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 26 2012 :  18:49:26  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,

Some info about your Can Heater,
Will there be water or oil in those cans?
And how do you transfer that heat from that fluid or do you just transfer the heated fluid to whatever you want to heat up?

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - February 12 2012 :  03:16:55  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey TJ , It's Air that is circulates through the can's and heated by the Sun . The Heated air is drawn through the heater from a port inside down low and the hot air is blown by a fan into your home or building it's connected to ...
During the day it run's when the temp is high enough and closed at night .. So your regular home heater doesn't have to run much ( maybe not at all ) during the day..
I just noticed your question TJ and thought since it was a few week's old now i'd try to answer it .. Hope that help's ya

Edited by - Kudzu on February 12 2012 03:18:38
Go to Top of Page

screaminvern

USA
121 Posts

Posted - February 12 2012 :  12:00:10  Show Profile Send screaminvern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the pic's Doug. I had to put my project on hold for a while due to school/money, but I will finish it this spring. A friend of mine who roofs houses for a living gave me some very old style solar air heaters that were manufactured by someone (no stamp or label indicating company name).

I took one apart (actually I had to tear it apart) to see what all it is comprised of and I'm thinking I can make some modifications to them (I have 5 left). They're pretty simple. I'll get some pic's and post them; maybe someone has seen them and knows who manufactured them.

{History does "not" repeat it's self, idiots repeat history.}
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 12 2012 :  12:07:21  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi vern

Glad to have them the more the merrier we can all learn from them. Thanks

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2