International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 MY WIND PROJECTS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  11:00:21  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi msm

Thanks, from what I seen yesterday when it worked it was really kick-en

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  11:58:35  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

First wind and eat your corn quick it is short

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  14:39:54  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, I noticed your new bird sure is beating it's wings but, it didn't seem to turn into the wind as freely as the other one .. Sorry, for the list of questions before , I just got excited, I guess.. Seeing your new mill got me wanting to build one.. lol .. Yea, Doug sweet setup it's awesome..
Msmjr, I was wondering why alternators went from $27 to the insane prices they are now .. I hadn't noticed them using the housings for windmills . It make's sense though .

==================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  15:24:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I found a Chev alt one wire 120amps for $55. ?? and that was for the engine I am going to burn wood gas with. I think that is about the cheapest and don't now if just the case is any cheaper? I will have to look up on Ebay for all the parts and price one out. The magnets are very costly and if you but it on the bay you could may be get a auction deal. The spring time stuff goes cheaper on wind just have to play the game for a couple of weeks. Buy the way I got my ground fixed but we will see if I have to make some corrections to it. I am going to take my wind guage to the amp meters and make a video of the 200 watt and the 500 watt, I put them side by side just for that reason SEE YA

Doug
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  17:18:41  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er-great vidio there-nothing like seeing the free power of nature.

Remember-when you make a mistake you have just learned how not to do it.This only brings you one step closser to success.The only way to fail is to never try>>>>TinMan<<<<>>Were's the vidio??<<<
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  17:25:22  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er, nice video on your new windgen...:)
The 13 blade one is at a lower height than the 3 blade one so its difficult to tell whats is what.
If you put them at the same height and same direction than you will know for sure how they are doing but they are doing pretty good :))
If they are spinning even at low speed they must be making some energy ^^

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  18:08:35  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , I was gonna start looking the parts over on ebay , how do you search it to find the parts ? I keep getting useless results .

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  23:03:02  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

We will try this
This is what I look when I am looking for parts or what ever and wind generators from here. you can bounce around and get more to look at but this will get you started ENJOY SEE YA
And a PS this is on that page

Doug

Edited by - 49er on January 10 2012 23:07:11
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  23:26:02  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Thank's 49er,
The rotor and the blades are the main thing's i'm thinking to start.. The stater I'm mine should do great for awhile, I'm thinking .. We don't get enough sustained wind to go to big but, the 13 blade should catch the little breezes we have .. If I can modify the rotor, I may just need the blades hopefully . I'm thinking of using the diode Treo and voltage regulator , may have to study that one a bit . It's been awhile since I went through an alternator. lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  08:56:10  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

With the 13 blade you will have to put in the bigger brgs. When he was developing the 13 he broke(cracked) the backing plate (hub)that the blades bolt to from the greater force. My two little ones has stood up to 105 mph wind and is still standing but I am going to add an extra support bar soon.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  15:56:10  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, Alan is checking for a cheap source in china for big neos ... If he finds them at a good price, I want to set up several small windmills .. Like I said I've got access to several old big alternators from the 70s, 80s, and 90s .. This is one of those projects that if I can get the parts, I should be able to get going on fairly well ,, hopefully anyway.. lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  17:02:29  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I will be at your elbow for any and all help as needed

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 11 2012 :  20:17:13  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Doug, I appreciate it , I figure it will be a bit of a learning experience but, a fun one .

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 19 2012 :  08:37:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Just an update The wind gen;s are off ans running. We have had 12 to 25 mph wind last night and before I went to bed I put the NO !# bank on wind only and had run it down to 12.08 volts just to see how it would do. Now at sun rise the standing voltage is 12.62 on a 3550 AH bank I don;t think thats to bad.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - January 19 2012 :  12:15:41  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys
Just thinking out loud. About these alternators.
James you said you where going to use the trio diode for something? Id love to know what you had in mind. Got to be able to use it in the regulator process some how even if you change it to a PM generator. But better to make your own, production units had a very high failure rate.
Doug in its current config how many alt would it take? Say if we stay on the cheaper side with a standard 60amp GM style (also the easyest to wire and modify). I guess the better question is whats the over all usage and how much to keep up with your system?
I know sometimes I have a hard time getting whats in my head out so others understand, so hope they make sence.

He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 19 2012 :  12:46:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi msm

Assuming 300 volts for the motor?? This is the biggest PMA that I know of.

48 volt 1600 watts = 33 amps per so 48/300= 6.25 PMA's to make that much juice so call it 7. 48 volts of battery is 8 T105's per PMA. 7 PMA X 8 to a bank = 56 T105's for one bank. even if you don't charge while on the run you will still need 56 to = 300 volts. Some thing to think about. That just told me I have enough to run one bank. LOL LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 19 2012 :  15:59:01  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er, i like the fact that they have have manufacture the Neodymium magnets with notches so its easy fitting ;-)))
And how is that 13 blade one of yours performing or did i missed that post?

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 19 2012 :  16:06:39  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

The only post is early today about how much the wind raised the big battery bank in around 8 hr of my sleep. 12.08 to 12.6? on a 3550 AH bank NOT TO BAD

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 19 2012 :  16:11:24  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er, thats pretty good if not awesome for a 3550AH bank to get that in your 8 hour beauty sleep time.
Yep, mother nature is just awesome :)

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 19 2012 :  16:24:06  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

The other day I turned all the banks on and it had a hard time moving the meter at all LOL wasn't much wind and no sun but I hooked up 5 more sets of batteries and had to equalize them. Only 3 more sets to mess with but there almost the worse.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  21:14:57  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Good wind today, the highest amps I saw was 16.5 amps but 10 to 12 was a average so I am happy

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 23 2012 :  21:15:15  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Good wind today, the highest amps I saw was 16.5 amps but 10 to 12 was a average so I am happy

Doug
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 24 2012 :  08:07:13  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey 49er-this vidio is a bit slow but check out the output near the end with very slow rev,s

Swim at 90 degree's to the current and gain speed in two directions while only doing half the work
>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 24 2012 :  08:13:48  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
now this is what i call a PMA

Swim at 90 degree's to the current and gain speed in two directions while only doing half the work
>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 24 2012 :  10:08:37  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey msmjr, It was back in 1996 when I made a conversion on an alternator , I know it can be done . As soon as I get a chance, I plan to look over my book's and note's and try to remember how I did it... As I remember you can wire an gm to produce around 110v without rectification I can't remember how many amp's ... But, through the voltage regulator and diode trio get 12v .. Now , I know this should change a bit with it producing as a generator and no input needed for the field to generate power to start .. I'm gonna have to look ...
Here's something to give you an idea of one way to wire it but, like I said it will change as it will become a generator when the magnet's are used on the rotor.. It should be that you don't need input to excite the stater to get it to produce power.. I hope I'm making sense as I'm tryin to explain a bit.

Edited by - Kudzu on January 24 2012 22:53:04
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 24 2012 :  10:51:18  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TM

I have seen the first video before but have never seen it finished. The deal with that one you had better have some where to put that power. In a big wind storm it would never quit just keep climbing to?? the volts on the meter was in the 4-5-6 hundreds of volts by hand OUT STANDING

Doug
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - January 25 2012 :  08:12:33  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kudzu
Thanks for the info. I did see 1 where they ran the 3 stator leads out the rear to an external rectifier. I didnt think to use the field winding that way but it should work, just dont think they would last long. Wish I could get my hands on 1 of the Motorola or Lucas alternators we used to rebuild from the fire trucks back in the 70s. Those suckers were 12" across.
That 1st video looks like it would take a hurricane to spin. LOL But the 2nd one that guy at MW&S should mount to the roof of that truck. hahahaha

He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 26 2012 :  18:55:28  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that first video you can cleary see when they are giving it a spin that the Lenz law is in effect and real bad to.
But seeing those massive blades they are going to mount on it, it should be much of a problem.

The second video seems to be more promising since you can see him spinning it very easily and still make that grinder work.:)

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 28 2012 :  13:05:45  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Yes to that and it would take a very smart controller to use all that power

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 11 2012 :  12:39:11  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

just a up date the last three days I have been running the house off the wind only. I am charging the #1 bank with just wind and as long as the wind is 12 mph + it keeps up real well and I am pleased. We had 37 mph gusts and I thought the house was going to take off to OZ.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - March 25 2012 :  09:04:29  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er
If you want to come to OZ you dont have to bring your house lol.

swim at 90 degrees to the current and gain speed in two directions

skype-thetinman.69
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 25 2012 :  15:38:26  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TM

Toto is out side now and is barking at the wicked witch of the west.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

TimberJack

824 Posts

Posted - June 20 2012 :  18:20:30  Show Profile Send TimberJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,

Did that wind gen you bought om ebay help out on your quest to get of the grid?
It should have help in combo with your solar setup.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - June 21 2012 :  07:43:58  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Yes the new gen did well this winter and the 13 blade is the best. Yesterday they came out with a new double PMA and I may have to try it out because my little 200 watt is 4 yrs old and that is a long time for a brushed motor. Its sister was the one that I put up in place with the new 13 blade and if I get one of the new duel PMA's with the 13 blade that will be GREAT. here is a link to see that new PMA, SEE YA

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

TimberJack

824 Posts

Posted - June 22 2012 :  07:24:35  Show Profile Send TimberJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,

Good to see that its going well, i`ve checked the new one they have..its a monster compare to the earlier model.
That should make some awesome juice for your system.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 06 2013 :  15:19:47  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Its been a long time since I worked on my wind gens but that came to an end today. Last spring the smallest one 200 watts broke one of the alum blades and it came down today. These are the $65.00 blades that you can buy on Ebay lasted 2 years.

[/URL]

So with that down and all done we will put up a new wind gen in a different spot, because I think the two gens were causing a big interference with each other. This was seen after the 13 blade went up, in a big wind it would zoom back and forth 180 degrees with a lot of blade flexing.
I will start a new update with its replacement PMA and its a big one from Ebay and Missouri wind.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 08 2013 :  16:17:15  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Well I purchased a 1600 Watt PMA 9 blade from Ebay and will start to put it up today but will take a few days. Painting it today and moved the pipe from the house to a spot out by the solar panels.

PMA is more coggier but lighter weight. more later

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 09 2013 :  19:40:47  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ALL

Today I finished the paint and Assembly all but the blades. Will get plastic paint for the blades and more parts for the pipe stand and cable supports tomorrow. This is what it looks like now.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 17 2013 :  18:40:45  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Sorry for the long post time, It rained for 2 days the I needed to move the mast from the house to the field. Put the wiring in conduit and buried it, A hold day for that. LOL Got ready to put it in the air so I could measure the cables for the guy wires and learned I am getting OLD can't lift what I use to. LOL life is a bummer whan you get old. Anyway had to figure out how to lift and then make it fast. Think I now have that and will put it to the test tomorrow after the nascar race. So pics to look at.

My wife picked out the color Red the other 2 blade sets are Black and White.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 19 2013 :  20:14:25  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

The last day of work out side,its up

Tomorrow I go inside to wire in the AMP meter and into the battery bank then wait for the wind.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 21 2014 :  10:05:16  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Today is a good day for a update on the 1600 watt. The best amps so far has been 19 at 29 MPH but we are going to get 50 to 60 MPH gusts after 3PM can't wait to see what it will make for amps.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 23 2014 :  15:50:33  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Here is the best amps I have seen'

22 amps = 33.1 MPH

24.5 AMPS = 33.6 MPH

25.5 AMPS = 38.7 MPH

29.7 AMPS = 39.8 MPH

31.4 AMPS = DIDN'T SEE IT

THIS WENT ON ALL DAY BUT BATTERY BANK NEVER GOT TO 14V SO IT PAYS TO HAVE A BATTERY BANK THAT CAN EAT ALL DAY LOL

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - September 17 2014 :  08:31:53  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Last Spring the PMA stopped and I just got it down, what I found was a bad front brg. I looked it up on Youtube and found a lot of people have hade the same problem. Going to find a better brg. today and see if I can get it back in the air yet today.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2