International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 MY WIND PROJECTS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  11:47:45  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

These are my wind units, Three of them are wired straight into the number one bank and so far I don;t see a need to put them on a controller just because that bank is so big 3550ah. The one big PMA is 35' in the air, the two smaller ones are only 200 watts each and 20' high and have been working for 3 yrs. The wind gen on the barn has been working for 10 yrs no problems and it is 400 watts and is a AIR X if that matters.

Hope this is a help to your wind adventure.

Doug

The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Still having fun.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  19:14:21  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice windpower setup, good to hear that they are running for so long without any problems.
Didnt you even had to replace a bearing or a diode?
Those are the two things i hear people telling me that always go bad with time.

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  20:04:27  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

The air X had to much in the brg and bleed over on the slip ring but other than, that its running 10 yrs. I think one of my little ones has blowen a brush it is making a squealing noise. So I will replace it with a new 50 amper.

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  22:55:00  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool wind turbines 49er.I have been doing some serious looking at wind generators since i saw yours on the other forum.

Remember-when you make a mistake you have just learned how not to do it.This only brings you one step closser to success.The only way to fail is to never try>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  10:52:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tinman

What style do you have available to you down under??

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  13:30:15  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input 49er :)
Cant you make the one that have blown a brush a brushless generator?
Or are all these for sale wind generators with brushes?

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  13:49:55  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

The one with the blown brush is a treadmill motor and the magnets are on the outer wall of the can. A brush less, magnets should be on the rotor like a window motor and they are called PMA's. The PMS comes it 2 versions, 1. they put the FWBR in the housing, meaning you run a 12v size cable to the batteries 2. you run a 3 conductor ac cable to a FWBR at the battery. The latter you can run a very long cable 150' and more vrs. 50' with 12v cable. But the PMA w/ac is more money to buy up front I think. On the other hand you can put two or more on one cable with longer run footage. 12v version like my 2 little ones you can run together but has to be under 50' because of line loss. Hope this helps.

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  16:51:22  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the wind generator, i only wish i had the place to set them up.
Reading on Tesla i became aware that ac goes the distance :)

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  17:00:13  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

If you look at this site it might give you ideas on how to solve that. I just though of a new way. LOL think out side the box get a old pickup and put one on the front and rear bumper you could tie them off to each other and fill the bead with batteries. LMAO and it would be Mobile

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  14:14:59  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link 49er

I have done some driving test with a small electric motor as an generator just holfing it outside the window.
You do get some good energy from it but it would be best to insert it in the hood or roof with an air scooper and the generator inside it.
Like you said, that would be some Mobile.lol

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  15:37:06  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Here is what I was kind of talking about. Just add batteries

You will love it

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  17:11:10  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er, i have seen some others doing this on youtube aswell :)
Its good to convert a car alternator in a wind generator but it would be best to try to get as much power possible at lower wind speed :)
I dont think he likes his own wind generators though, look at 7.06 minutes into the video.
He has 3 conventional wind generators powering his stuf, that aint good salesmanship. lol
If this one on his truck is sucha good one, why not 3 of those on his roof to support his theory ^^

But i do like the idea behind it, wish i had the place and some machines(again)lol

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  18:52:07  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

The truck is his test unit for different gens and different blade set ups and on the roof of the office he has 3 or 4 different units.

Doug

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 23 2011 :  04:17:05  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guy's, I saw a video where some company's are building vertical wind generator's .. The blade's go up in a continuous spiral and they claim they'er a more efficient design and don't wear bearing's, they look cool if nothing else .. Unless I hit lottery, I'll have to build one myself ,, Anytime it goes over 100 million my folk's go and buy ticket's, so for laugh's I get em to pick me up a couple ..
Anyway 49er, The one with the treadmill motor did you build that one yourself ? ... Maybe we can search for good plan's to build our own generator's and post best result's and which one's work best .. I saw where a guy show's how to retrofit old home ceiling fan's for wind generator's but, they don't look like they would hold up very long to me .

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 23 2011 :  11:27:05  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

You are right about the ceiling fans. I have built my own and have never tried to build one that is really big. The 200 watts I have reworked to make them work as well as they do. I have put brg. to swivel on and alum blades to spin faster. With no brg. they tend not to turn into the wind until it blows about 10 mph in very cold conditions( grease gets hard) and have made blades out of wood, plastic pipe but alas my winters are to hard for them. If I got good spin the blade would break in extrema cold and big wind. We have had wind to 105 mph here more than once and I get tired of rebuilding the stuff I make( pipe blades). My Air X is the only one with no problems, the new MW is working well so far but no really cold and wind combo yet we will see. I have seen that with the bigger banks I need to have ten of them in the air. LOL

Doug

Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  04:39:30  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ten of them in the air.lol
Do you have a permit from the air trafic control department to put up so many?
Hope they dont block all your sun light for your solar panels.lol

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  12:21:09  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Around here as long as there not over 100' you can put up as many as you can afford.LOL

Doug

Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  15:55:12  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhh, thats a good spot where you at ^^
Btw, do have main grid power, if so is it your main or backup source.
Usually those power plants dudes dont want people to use them as an backup -.-

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  17:17:49  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Yes they do get up set but I use them and spend about $25 a month for elect. Kudzu has found a voltage doubler for my well pump so I will be looking into that for a fix to the monthly bill. LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  15:08:11  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$25 a month on electricity...??? thats nothing.lol
Good move, i am planning to make more of my 15ma draw Joule Thief setup and run them at night in the house and charge the battery with one solar panel during the day.

Running 3 or 4 of these shouldnt use much during a few hours at night :)
And the battery should get plenty of charge even with the crappy weather here.

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  19:39:34  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

That was for the last three years. June this yr it will be paid for and all the rest of my life will be FREE LOL Real good investment. That is what Spent my retirement money on Investing in ME. LOL al the way to the bank.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 26 2011 :  16:17:56  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have the space and money for this it is sure a good investment :))
You are right about that, i know of someone who is also completely self sustain...so awesome ^^

Hopefully i`ll get there someday to -.- lol

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 26 2011 :  20:45:04  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

I was going to replace one of my small wind gens and buy some new blades and vesper was going to make up some new kind of blade that can make more torque at 1 1/2 mph so he said but now I can't ask him how he coming on them BOO/HOO to bad will have to buy them from MW again I think a 13 blade.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  07:52:45  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,
Go for the 13 blade one...its like having freddy from friday the 13th chopping away on your roof and making you some power :))

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  09:27:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

It is not that vesper treated me wrong but it is Tinmans CLOWN in a Gstring that still P'sssss me off, he could never say anything good about any wind projects I had on the other place. I wished some one could make me a photo of that so I could throw darts at the photo LMAO

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  13:32:46  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

I will work on getting one LOL and my darts are sharp but haven't thrown them lately

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - December 31 2011 :  19:50:38  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I won my bid for the 13 blade with hub. So soon will have a new bird in the air.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 01 2012 :  18:10:25  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er, thats very cool :))
How much did you get it for and could post some pics of it, thanks.

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 02 2012 :  07:40:23  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well now, only thing you're missing is a mouse wheel hooked to a generator..LOL!

Love the setup!

I've been drooling over this one for some time now.

I had a small 200w running on the garage, but the homemade blades just didn't work well...
Took far too much wind to run.
I keep shopping for a 5 blade hub w/ blades.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 02 2012 :  13:07:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

I have advanced to highly modified squirrel cages LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 02 2012 :  16:05:53  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Here is your request for the 13 blade info

Doug
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 03 2012 :  07:44:28  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er, thanks for the link :)
Its the one from the video you post here, hope it works like they say/show it do ^^

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 05 2012 :  16:59:20  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doug, you have me excited again about my 200w wind genny.
Haven't flown it for a year now and was a bit concerned about putting a 5 blade on her.

Looking at you putting up a 13 blade is making me wonder what I was worried about!

Have you stated how big a Genny you plan to run with this 13 blade setup?
Didn't see it as I back tracked the forum..

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 05 2012 :  19:21:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

The 13 blade is not in yet I will be putting it on a 50 amp PMA if you look at my pic the small 200 is got a bad brush and is coming down tomorrow if no wind . I have the pole mount painted got the 6ga wire to run down the pole and 2-40 amp diodes for the hook up just waiting for the blades to show up. Put your 5 blade up and send a pic for all to see. My 200 has served me well.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  11:11:10  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er-i found a wind generator lol.I think it might be a bit large but.It is a westwind brand,20kw.The whole thing weigh's about 400kg -so nearly half a ton.The blade's are 3.1 meters long each and it has 5 of them.It was used in an old factory ,but they shut the doors-lack of work.Anyway the generator looks like a large electric motor with a gearbox on it-i should of had my camera but i only found it on the way home from our capital city(about 2 hours away).Its been on the ground for about 8 years,the bloke said it was working fine until a truck ran into one of the gye wires and bent the mast about 1 third the way up.The mast is made out of 12 inch pipe,so they just took it down befor it feel down ,and never put it back up.He wants $2500 for it ,but then there is the cost of transport and then a new mast and a crain to put it up.Its old but looks solid and the generator seems to still turn ok.The other problem is that it is 3 phase,and were all on single phase here--what do you think ?

Remember-when you make a mistake you have just learned how not to do it.This only brings you one step closser to success.The only way to fail is to never try>>>>TinMan<<<<>>Were's the vidio??<<<
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  11:21:46  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Tinman

So like you would be in good shape for the rest of your life if you have wind at your lo-cal. 3 phase just make it more efficient for running cable. You could do anything you could think of with the power. It would be costly (couple of cases of beer) to move but that is what mates are for. Putting it up can be done if planed out. I will try to find a video to show a way to do it.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  11:30:05  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol would defently be a crane job-80 feet in the air at nearly half a ton,cant see the boys on the rope's pulling that up lol.Mmm how to tell the wife no holiday as im buying a wind generator insted lol--you got a spare room at your house 49er lol.

Remember-when you make a mistake you have just learned how not to do it.This only brings you one step closser to success.The only way to fail is to never try>>>>TinMan<<<<>>Were's the vidio??<<<
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  16:01:09  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TM

I found one of three but I will post this and continue to search

Doug
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  16:22:09  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
20kw!!! Oh my!!!
You're not talking about 'grid-tie' and spinning your meter backwards anymore.
You're going into business!

Around here the Public Service will buy back power, but at an extremely reduced rate.
I looked into this a few years back and found they would only pay a 'residential' user about $.025kw.
Reverse metering always sounded like a great idea from me.
KW to KW, I give one back, I get to take one.
Yes, there's a few catches involved...
You still get to pay 'all' the fees involved in transmission of the power.

20KW! What are you going to call your new company?
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  17:20:25  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats one large windmill for home use TM :)

Me and 2 friends put up a 150kg windmill with just us 3 and a pickup.
If you like make a lever at the bottom (like 1 foot from the base) and start putting it up by hand(using jack if needed) and hold it in place with some wooden blocks till it get to a height that the pickup can take it over and slowy pull it up and keep using those wooden blocks till it gets to a height that you cant anymore and you should be good to go.
Btw, that lever must have only one way up and down(u shape) so when its up it wont fall down the other way wich would be on your head in that pickup.lol

Hope that helps abit :)

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  20:03:47  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

The wind finally dyed down about 4:30 and The wife and I Took the broken 200 watt down and I started to assemble the new 500 wattPMA. UPS delivered my new blades at 4 pm today and if the wind don't blow tomorrow should be able to put it in the air. Here is a look at its parts.

Pivot point at ground

Those three supports is all that holds each mast to the house

oops lost my mast

On the ground at last took 5 minutes

No drag no brushes left

Doug
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  21:25:42  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys-thanks for all the info.Here in australia we only get back 10% on the power we return to the grid.The other catch is that if we send to much back and make over a set amount we get charge tax,as our wonderful government see's it as a second income. We also then have to be registered as a sole trader just so we can do bass statments every quater and pay a gst tax aswell.So them clowns wouldnt be getting any power from me,as our government has found every way possable to avoid us little guys makeing life easer for ourself's.I'd just give the extra power to the neibours-but the closest one is nearly 400 meters away lol.
I spoke to the wife about it and the look on her face was telling me to shut up fast lol.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  22:03:39  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TM

Get her a bike with a gen and tell her she must ride 20 minutes a day for her toast. See if that would be acceptable or not

Doug
Go to Top of Page

twally67
Average Member

USA
251 Posts

Posted - January 06 2012 :  22:37:16  Show Profile Send twally67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey tin-man there is a way around it (not to give electric out to the grid) you could use a thyristor grid to control how much dc voltage from your battery bank to your grid tie inverter....i would program a micro-controller (arduino or pic)to monitor your electric coming in from your meter and when your just about to tip the scale (when the meter rotates backwards)it shuts off or powers the battery banks down just enough to not let the meter spin backwards...that way you aren't violating the meter you are just controlling how much electric is fed from the gird tie inverters....LOL there is always a way to make a better mouse trap...LOL

i am still studying the arduino and relearning basic programing (PAINFUL IT IS!!!) and i am finding out there is allot that it can do............

sometimes meltdowns though kinda $$ make the best inspirations!!!

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 07 2012 :  08:46:08  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Some pic of the start of the new wind beast

bracket and cocking collar

wire clamp

Tail section added All that took only 1 hr but ran out of light

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 08 2012 :  17:27:27  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

New PMA is in the air. Every thing has to be hand made for the accessories like the Blocking diodes 2 40 amp in a fixture.

Next a HF car amp meter and mount it to the wall and wired to the batteries Before the PMA can be raised.

A close look at the back side of the PMA mounted

And the front side

I have a short video but I am to pooped to produce it. Later

Doug
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - January 09 2012 :  16:46:29  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an amazing Beast!
Does it spin when you blow at it?

Go, Doug, Go!
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  00:45:55  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, That looks to be a GM alternator modified .. Cool, I knew I was saving my old ones for something ... lol .. I've got 5 or 6 alternators in various places around here ( If i'm remembering correctly the stator is good on everyone of em ).. Did you modify it yourself ? What is it neos in the center and keep the stator ?

==================================================

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  08:00:40  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

No I bought it in a kit you can buy all parts separately but as always it seams like its cheaper to buy assembled. Ebay has all the parts.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  08:07:03  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ALL

The wind machine has to come down again it needs to have a better ground installed. It was making a funny noise in the wind yesterday and there ground was to go through the swivel bracket into the pipe and attached the ground wire to the base. I don't like that and that is where the noise was coming from I think. Every time I heard the noise the amp meter would jump at the same time. Need more thought on that.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

msmjr
Average Member

USA
444 Posts

Posted - January 10 2012 :  09:21:36  Show Profile Send msmjr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Kudzu
Yes it is. I saw the Missouri Wind & Solar actually uses 2 front halves of the 120amp Delco. That way you can use the larger bearings and a stronger mount. At least thats what I assume. Its funny I have a couple laying around here too but only 1 large case. I never got into windmills because they wont let me put 1 up here But I try to keep up. BTW Doug you have very cool set up!

He is wise who gains wisdom from another's mishaps.
—Plutius Syrus

Edited by - msmjr on January 10 2012 09:26:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2