International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Solar Power
 MY SOLAR SETUP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - June 20 2012 :  07:23:51  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I don't think you will run your workshop on it but it may charge a small battery. with your meter on it in sun see what id does and just put it on a diode and watch it may really charge. Let me know what the volts are. Thanks

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

TimberJack

824 Posts

Posted - June 20 2012 :  18:18:28  Show Profile Send TimberJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,

Hows your solar setup going?
Did you put more of those large boxes full of batteries in your setup?
Are you almost of the grid now?

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - June 21 2012 :  07:33:55  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Glade to see you back on a everyday basis. The battery bank is up to 10,000 AH in 3 banks and working on the 4th,but that is slow. The new panels are coming along nicely and I am using them to make a how to video but I melt over 85 F and the temp here has been 95 f so I stay in side. LOL Now the grand kids will be here today so don't know how much more will be done until they leave in about 6 weeks. Also the Bedini conference starts in 10 days and I will be leaving for that next Tuesday. I have part of the solar install in the how to thread if you want to look. The house is not total on solar yet but after the new panels are installed we will see. I put the frig on it own inverter 2 months ago and it took another 4.50 a month off the bill. Down to $20 A month, were getting there. That should bring you up to date for now.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

TimberJack

824 Posts

Posted - June 22 2012 :  07:29:38  Show Profile Send TimberJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,

Glad to be back, 10.000 AH is one heck of a battery bank.
I see that your energy bill is step by step going down, thats always good for your pocket :)
Have fun at the Bedini Conference and make some pics
Thanks for the update on your quest to go 100% of grid.
I`ll check the topic on your solar panels installation if i can find it.LOL

Edited by - TimberJack on June 22 2012 07:30:19
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - July 27 2012 :  11:03:22  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ALL

Just an up date, I added to my bank 4 3 more sets of T105's bring me up to 4 sets and a total of 900 AH in that bank. Try ed to run the bank with out a controller and guest what it works just put a amp gage and volt meter in line works great. I am using bank 4 for my experimenting bank for any power I need and I am reconditioning batteries as we speak. I am running my 13T off that set and I think that will keep the voltage under 15.2. We will see if I need to get a controller for it or not.. wright now in full sun it is getting 26 to 28 amps and these 8 T's are the worst of the 75 I reconditioned so only time will tell.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 07 2012 :  14:51:12  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is a update on the solar bank. The final 8 panels and that is 6.3 amps per = 50.4 amps on this one supply of power.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

TimberJack

824 Posts

Posted - August 08 2012 :  08:42:01  Show Profile Send TimberJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er,

Thats real good...seriously...real nice to get out of the grid...
Its more than just that, its also a big step to your freedom without those damn invisible chains on your feet...

quote:
Originally posted by 49er

Hi All

This is a update on the solar bank. The final 8 panels and that is 6.3 amps per = 50.4 amps on this one supply of power.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - November 22 2012 :  09:14:34  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

For those of you who have solar panels it is time to move them to the last position for the year to get the most from them. Enjoy the sun

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Anothercoilgun

140 Posts

Posted - November 23 2012 :  21:03:50  Show Profile Send Anothercoilgun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell me about it. My array was getting plenty of light in summer. Now its shaded fully. Time for me to move further back into the yard. The shadow the house cast is now twice as large.

OLD Boy's Bench?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 28 2013 :  11:46:03  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

How about all who have solar panels post pics of your array and lets see how many members are trying to GO a little green.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - February 03 2013 :  20:19:02  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have bought some I am experimenting with but to resell since I am getting them so cheap. Plan is to sell them as modular in a very small format so I am recycling dead electronic cases to make small 7 x 7 inch squares with holes on the sides to mount them to each other or to another fixture, thus allowing the person using them to bolt them together to make any shape they wish as long as it is no skinnier than 7 inches one way or another, but as wide as they want in either direction in 7 inch increments. also all cells will be tabbed separately so that they can configure them in any arrangement of cells to get nearly any voltage or amperage they seek. If all goes well I should be able to start purchasing for my own set up off of the profit I make from my efforts to put these together, and keep some of the metal that in these cases are going to landfill, end of story. If I do not salvage it, it will be at it's end of life, no recycling it, unless they eventually have to start mining dump sites for the metal that was discarded there.

I did find a boost in both voltage and amperage when I put lexan (polycarbonate) over the cells, instead of a reduction of power output, and I know the cells should be cooler as a result since over 80% of the UV rays from sunlight are only generating heat on the cell and zero electrical output, so it seems that not only is it not giving us jack, but it is destroying the cells prematurely. I will be setting up one of the cells and running it full tilt next to another one as a sort of control group, and one will be protected with sealant only to keep out moister and cut down on oxidation, but the other will have the extra layer of lexan over it. Then I can see if the power output at the end of a year is any different.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - February 03 2013 :  20:26:30  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kudzu

Hey 49er , I've seen these a bit cheaper but, this one is to show what's available , Even if you had to buy both the 24v/220v converter and step up/down converter it would be a whole lot cheaper than for just the american market 24v/220v one..IDK .. I'm researching for my future project and I think I may go this way , Everything I've seen both are way cheaper than one of the other's ..

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...

holy crap that is cheap, if those prices are right, I will have to get one of those higher amp units for my crackerbox welder! I have been wanting to be able to do welding from a 110 outlet for a while, (with 220 it seems to work much better with even 10 amps than a 30 amp 110 outlet so...) Thanks for posting that link!

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 17 2013 :  14:20:20  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

You need to keep an eye on you max amps from your panels now for we are getting into time you need to move the elevation to keep up with the sun. The sun is moving fast over this time of year. I had to move mine up 10 degrees today.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 18 2013 :  10:08:38  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

That is an amazing setup. Can you do a video of the full setup, from panels to batteries? Would love to see that.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 18 2013 :  14:49:02  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

I will do that after it warms up a little more. LOL A month or so you might remind me then so I don't forget

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  05:51:10  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

A friend of mine has just gotten some aluminium window frames that he is holding for me. I hope to build the stand for mine as soon as I get it.

Is direct south the best position to face the panel and do you know the best angle for my latitude? I did have a link for the best angles by latitude, but I cannot find it or remember the exact degrees.
I opened up the box on the back of my panel and found 3 connections - 2 have wires coming from them (+ & -) and the other connection is in the middle between them and has a diode on each side. What is the 3rd connection for?
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  06:17:24  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poppy mentioned that CFL's do not like inverters unless they are full sine wave - Is that correct?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  08:21:52  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Show a pic good close up of the box on your panel so we can see.. The rest of your build can be answered I hope here
Watch all the steps and then ask all your questions Hope this helps

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  08:29:55  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI Dave

Forgot to answerer you question about CFL's. There not what you need because they still have mercury in them so I put my money in LEDs also I have run my CFL's on a inverter that is sq wave and they work.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  10:34:56  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

Great videos!

My connectors do differ from yours, so I will record mine later today - I still have loads of footage to upload too.
Is that Tesla Solar Tracker 3 the 10A? If so, I was wondering about the 30amp ones on the panels - why so high if the tracker is rated for 10 amp?
If the lights that TM is using on his solar are good, I will get some of them too.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  12:32:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

The solar tracker3 is a 80 amp unit and its broken twice stay away from it he hasn't fix it the second time and he has had it for 3 months and no info from him yet.
Here is what I am going to for LED lights and it is VERY good.

AND I get them for 8.00 US and free shipping

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  15:25:28  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

Did you take a look inside the tracker to see what it contained?
How long did you have it before it broke down?

Nice LED light.
The SMD's draw less than the LED's and those Cree light are supposed to be better again.
I am just about to start looking into them some more before deciding what to buy.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 19 2013 :  18:32:29  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Not long enough for the money. Yes I took it apart and its a block of stuff thats hard to see into and it had a burn spot and I asked myself why didn't the circuit breaker kick off?? But thats just why I won't put endorsement on it again.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 20 2013 :  05:58:55  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

That is the model that costs 1k? Was it still under warranty when it broke down? Did he send a replacement while yours is being repaired?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 21 2013 :  08:22:17  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Yes once he sent a new one and thats it. It was a charger controller that you couldn't see any claims with if you use your batteries every day and I do. The PWM that I bought to replace it works just as well and only costs 100 US so I am happy

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - February 21 2013 :  18:21:17  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

I got with them and there going to fix it but they couldn't tell me why they didn't get with me before now.. LOL thats the way it goes.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - February 22 2013 :  06:18:33  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

At least you got a reply. All my mails were ignored when I complained about my 3 pole.
Good to see they are finally sorting it for you.
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - March 08 2013 :  10:00:37  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

I can't seem to find the link the the inline fuses - can you post it again?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 08 2013 :  12:35:46  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

My brain is not working today. Which IN LINE fuse set up do you need Solar panel-battery bank or a motor or SS SSG??

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - March 09 2013 :  05:32:44  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

I need to get a 20A fuse between the panel and the regulator and another one between the regulator and the batteries.
Most of the ones for cars are only rated for 12v and I will need 72v for when I add extra panels.

I was doing some more reading on the Tesla Solar 3 - reviews are claiming that they are putting out more amps than they are using on the input.
They also said that JB has dampened the output as this can be huge compared to what it uses.
Did you notice that on yours?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 09 2013 :  13:28:14  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Fuses are rated I think for amps more than voltage up to 32v so your 20 amps will be good I think.. Your 72 volts will be good for the 20 amp fuse and from the controller to the batteries use the same type. For small fuses like that I use a blade type and crimp female connectors that I crimp and solder. Found these that are good for up to 80 volts. I would try the auto fuses that you have now and see if they hold. IMHO heres the link
as far as the tracker 3 I don't think so for more out than in. I will post the manual for it and you can see for your self.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 09 2013 :  13:40:52  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Forgot to mention these are what I use to put from the batt bank to the inverter. just use one from each end of the + line and should not go over 6 ft or shorter to the fuse and these can be stacked for more amps. I make my own holder for them.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - March 10 2013 :  08:13:02  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

The link you gave me before was similar to this type... You must be logged in to see this link.

Will I need a fuse from the batteries if they are only powering 12v LED lights (no inverter)?
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 10 2013 :  12:10:22  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Yes but only a 12 and only as big as the draw. This is where you can use a fuse panel just like a car,with a master 30 or 40 and then down into each circuit of needs.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - April 25 2013 :  11:35:29  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is just an update on the battery banks. It had been 4 months from the last watering and started with No# 2 bank. They took about a gallon of water for all 18 T105's and I found one thats below 10% of the others, will have to keep an eye on that one.
Bank 3 on the other hand is 36 T105's and took about only 1 gallon of water also BUT found 4 below the 10% average and one was way below. This I feel was the results of a very long drain with not much sun in Jan., it was 3 weeks +. The banks all were tied together as one and were drawn down to 12.02 at its worst and even took off line for 3 days. The info I have says to rest the batteries 1 day every 30 at full charge to equalize the but didn't happen and bank 4 was worse it had 4 out of 8 that were below the 10% so not a good time of the year for batteries. The 8 batteries will be put on the TSO 10 and try to desulfate them again. Bank 1 will get watered tomorrow and will see what they bring.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 21 2013 :  10:45:50  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is a battery bank up date. 3 years of service after the desulfating the battery bank rests at 12.54 after a week of no solar or discharge. This is not bad for used batteries that the Golf coarse junked. LOL This bank is 9 set of 2 T105s (12v) so 18 in all and what I am trying to show is you can bring batteries back from the dead pile and put them into a use that they tell you, you can or shouldn't do and that is mix and match batteries for a bank. I have and it works very well and 3 years should prove this. The highs and lows are 6.33 to 6.21 but most of them are 6.26 to 6.27 volts. In short don't give up on your batteries they will give you more of there life and keep them out of the junk pile.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - August 22 2013 :  06:45:07  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug.

I hope to have my own big battery bank soon. A neighbor of mine replaces batteries on wind farms, transmitters and cell phone towers. I only found out recently what his job entailed. He offered me 12 x 12v (56kg each) with connectors!!!
Fingers crossed that they will arrive soon.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - August 22 2013 :  07:34:44  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

Thats going to be Sooooooo great. Keep us updated

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - September 10 2013 :  00:13:02  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er,
I was looking at the Iron Edison battery's and from there website they charge $900 per 100 amp hours no matter the voltage // Basically every 12v 100 amp hour adds $900 , no matter the end voltage ( well up to 48v, that's as high as it went ) ... They claimed to take up a lot less space also .

Anyway , with there claim is that you can use 80% of the capacity with absolutely no harm to the battery's .. Would it actually be worth putting in a small bank of those for a heavily a loaded bank , let's say clothes washing and such ?

And NO I don't have any stock in the company , just curious of your thought's ... Basically your the one person I know that has solar on there house , lol

========================================================

Edited by - Kudzu on September 11 2013 15:07:50
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - September 10 2013 :  00:20:32  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah , I found a couple of these on Ebay , used would probably be the way I would have to go.

========================================================

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - September 11 2013 :  20:14:04  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

All my banks are 6 volt Pr's and there good if you have a good size bank for you house. The panels are the key for use of lots of power that doesn't hurt your bank at any given time. (Example) wife does 4 loads of laundry only when the sun is out and I tell her only when the batteries are over 13.2v that way I know when every load is done the battery will read 12.8 which tells me she didn't take any thing out of the bank just surface charge.LOL I have let her do 2 loads after dark and the bank will rest at 12.4 when she is done and by the next morning they will rise to 12.5 so that does not take them down to bad but that is the big bank of 3500 ah so a small bank of 5 or 6 Pr's of 6v 1125 to 1350 would do a good job but you would have to be smart on how you use your power but you would learn fast.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - January 03 2014 :  19:02:01  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is my new battery filler, it makes filling batteries much faster and less of a mess.

I have put a small 3 led light to the tube with elect tape and the water tube is weighted in the 2 1/2 gal water container. The control handle is a air blow gun with a 1/4X20 barbed hose connector. Very handy once you make it up with the light on the tube. After 3 years of 270 filler holes X 4 times I finally got smart. LOL LOL

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - March 31 2017 :  12:13:07  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Just an update since it has been a while and things have gotten bad for the golf cart used batteries this last winter. 32 days of no sun has taken it toll. I would say all of bank 3 is gone and I will see what has life in them and put those in a bank to use until they dye. To replace them the new 18650 cell bank will take a lot less room.

Doug
SKYPE doug.bennett49er
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2