International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Solar Power
 MY SOLAR SETUP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  11:21:11  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

This is my current solar set up 1Kw panels a Bedini 80 amp controller and a couple of boxes of batteries. I am running 1 3000watt and 2-750 watt inverters.

The 3 battery banks total 9625 ah and still working on a 4 box but that take a lot of work to rejuvenate that many DC golf cart batteries and that is where I bought them is from a golf course. So far Solar has put all energy into reconditioning them with a SS AC SSG and it took all summer to do most of the number 2 and so far 1/2 number 3 bank. I use 1/2" ID soft copper tube to link them together
, it will take about 200 AMPS per link.

Hope this help answerer any start up questions about getting off the grid.

Doug

The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
Still having fun.

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  19:16:41  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another good setup, this time a solar one.
Wish i had the place to start something like this.

TimberJack

***Possibilities Within The Impossible***

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  20:09:04  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

Start small and it doesn't take a lot of room.

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

TinMan
Advanced Member

4082 Posts

Posted - December 19 2011 :  22:52:22  Show Profile Send TinMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting it here 49er.

Remember-when you make a mistake you have just learned how not to do it.This only brings you one step closser to success.The only way to fail is to never try>>>>TinMan<<<<
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  16:55:25  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the only place i have is like 2 square meter on the balkony and they have regulations not to put solarpanels or satelite disk on that space so its no good for now.
And with the weather here its no good putting them behind the livingroom windows either so for now i just collect some info on them and hope that in the near future i`ll have a place for it.

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  17:19:09  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TJ

I will let you slide for now but I still have a couple more Ideas for apartment space but I will save them LOL SEE YA

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

fan1701
Average Member

USA
243 Posts

Posted - December 20 2011 :  22:54:58  Show Profile Send fan1701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er . Man I'm jealous! Solar setup AND a solar tracker awesome. My solar setup is only partially installed. It isn't much I had to do something to get started. I bought 10 sets of the harbor freight( You must be logged in to see this link. ) Started out with one and bought a second. Then I bought eight more. Currently I have four sets on my roof but sadly I have not built up a decent bank of batteries yet. Cheap panels but they do work well. The main thing was to break the ice and get started. I bought all but one or two kits for 149.99 on sale. I have several inverters the largest being a 3000 watt also from harbor freight.

Nice setup.

al

* Not following the manufacturer recommended specs * ON PURPOSE!
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  02:25:47  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , I ran across this converter and figured I'd post you a link incase you were still lookin for a 220v converter for your well pump.

I saw a few more but, this one was rated the highest watts out of them. I don't know anything about them just ran across em an figured you may want to check em out .. I don't think these are the same as the other one's . IDK

I still think the only dumb questions are the one's you didn't ask ...
Go to Top of Page

iaec
Forum Admin

1033 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  14:17:47  Show Profile Send iaec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er, lol...that is funny.lol

quote:
Originally posted by 49er

Hi TJ

I will let you slide for now but I still have a couple more Ideas for apartment space but I will save them LOL SEE YA

Doug

Still having fun.

TimberJack

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  14:47:00  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi fan

The H.F. ones I have also on the barn 7 total and they have worked fine. I have a 20amp controller on them. Last summer I mover a 100 watt out with them and ran the 42T to charge all the cart batteries before they went into the big banks. But alas they are to costly now Sun Elect have solar for 1.34 a watt and some cheaper. I swapped my phone guy 2 of those panels for 4 of his 150ah batteries just had to rejuvenate them. LOL great deal.

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  14:50:41  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

The unit you posted is a one wire 220v and we use 2 wire 220 so until I find some one with more knowledge than I have on the subject I leave them alone. Thanks for thinking of me

Doug

Still having fun.
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 21 2011 :  23:44:25  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, How can you tell ? All I found was the dc v to ac v and a couple of pictures ... I'm just curious how to tell them apart from the two wire one's .

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  19:13:59  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Look at your plugs. Go to home depot and look at all the 220 plugs that they have. and then look at the plug on the box its a one wire English

Doug

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  19:23:06  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok 49er so, I'll be lookin for a standard 220v plug on the converter .. Like a welder , Air conditioner . ect... Ok Thank's , I got it... I thought the one I posted above had a multi fit 220v plug .. I still didn't find anything about one wire in the write up and info on it ... All the thing's I use 220v for are never unplugged but, as I remember they have three wire and I got a four wire dryer 220v,, once I wire the plug if needed there forgotten about very soon .

Edited by - Kudzu on December 22 2011 19:36:08
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  19:58:56  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

If you got one of them with one 220 wire how do you split it for the 110 to each of the wires in the dryer? that is where I am coming from and I sure your wife would love to see her dryer flying across the floor at least to the end of the cord.LOL

Doug

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  22:01:43  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , I've seen these a bit cheaper but, this one is to show what's available , Even if you had to buy both the 24v/220v converter and step up/down converter it would be a whole lot cheaper than for just the american market 24v/220v one..IDK .. I'm researching for my future project and I think I may go this way , Everything I've seen both are way cheaper than one of the other's ..

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 22 2011 :  22:35:40  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Now you have something I can use I think. I will do more research on it. Thanks

Doug

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 23 2011 :  00:13:28  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , Keep me posted ... When I get to that point,, I'm thinking of this as my way to go ..

Edited by - Kudzu on December 23 2011 07:06:03
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 23 2011 :  11:05:53  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

There is a lot to think through. Its is going to depend on what you wants and or needs are and starting small with looking to add at a later date is very important. The first thing is battery placement, and second panel placement( less than 50') is very hard to figure out. I have changed my plans 4 times and moved twice. The very first thing though is what voltage, but in your consideration is lights if you run 12v vs. 110v. I can go on and on but you need to put it on paper and really think about all the pros and cons of each part of the system. MY one suggestion is to use T105 cart batteries or the bigger L16. I started with marine battery and they work but don't hold up when you ask for big amps they will work for tv ,comp lights but nothing bigger. When you get into 1000 to 1500 watts you have to have very short cables and very large dia. to transport big amps to the inverter or you blow it up. This is where the consideration comes in 12v vs. 24v, 24v only needs 1/2 wire size and 1/2 the amps to run the same power. It is really hard to make every thing work with only one inverter because of the time off after charging and cable length from all banks to one inverter. Enough for now that is a lot for you to think about for know.

Doug

Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  14:52:29  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
49er , I've got a couple of 12v to 110v converters 700w or 750w continuous surge of 1400w I think , I'll have to dig them out to make sure ... I've ran skill saw's and drill press with em but, they wont run too much at once ... Since I already own them , I'm gonna use them to start and expand from there ... I'm planning to check with some golf courses that are in the area and see about battery's when I get to that point ... On the solar panels when I get able, I'm gonna need good cheap one's , I've noticed the price varies all over the place .. How long do the solar panels last ?

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 24 2011 :  17:10:55  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

The way of I already own that is the very best way to start. LOL that was easy. As for panels I just got a Email yesterday for panels for .78 for 24 volt system from sun. For longevity most are 25 to 30 years. Also check on craigslist for panels, I have seen people up date there system and sell cheep but you have to be local to not have shipping. To get started 1 panel would be nice that is the only way for your free experimenting power. LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  00:09:08  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Thank's 49er , I've now told my wife to look for panels on craigslist since she look's on there anyway... If I did wind up with a 24v panel, I'd just have to step the voltage back to 12v but, from what you said i'd be better off on running cables for 24v anyway... OH yea, can you combine 12v panels for 24v ? ... Just in case, I get a sweet deal on 12v panel's and can't pass em up. lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 25 2011 :  08:27:39  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I am going to say yes on making 24 volts but once you make the voltage you will need to put a diode in line to keep the 2 in 24v mode. I will have to try it and get back with you when I get back home.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

fan1701
Average Member

USA
243 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  16:58:57  Show Profile Send fan1701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er , and everyone. I was wondering if when you get time you could tell us how well the (Bedini) Tesla Solar tracker 3 charge controller works. I have not heard very many reviews of it. The ones I have heard have been really positive. Sorry I have not been posting. Gonna be a week or two before I get back into the swing. I have been lurking though.

al

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  17:48:47  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi fan

The tracker 3 works very well if I stand in front of it at dusk or dawn you can see it pulse with very low light. When the batteries get full a green light comes on and then it pulses real big. I like it real well.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  18:50:54  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, I went back and re looked at it and it was .7 for 1.5w it was $112 for 240w panel so I deleted the other , Thought I'd found a awesome deal.. lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  19:21:34  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI K

What is the .7 and 1.5 w?

Doug
Go to Top of Page

fan1701
Average Member

USA
243 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  19:50:07  Show Profile Send fan1701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi 49er. Thanks. Been curious about them for a while. I just ordered a "little spanker " 2a12 charger from Rick's site and as soon as I can I will let everyone know how we'll of works. I'm a wholesaler in the car business and deal with older cars so reviving batteries is something I want to get good at. I can tell by your post that the solar kick "kicks ". thanks again.

al

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  20:08:44  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi fan

I have it and it also works very well but you can't run it of square wave pure sign wave only.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  20:11:04  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was the price for the solar panels .7 for 1.5w / 240w from china

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  20:16:57  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I am dumb tonight what is .7
what is 1.5w
240w is panel watts of 240
please spell out the others

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  20:30:33  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got back on from looking at a china solar panel site the price was .7 for 1.5w they had 240w panels , I was just asking was that a good deal.

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  20:33:39  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Send me the site please

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  20:37:05  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
49er ,Here you go it's got em from every country in the world with all kinds of stuff... I think it's a trading site some of the stuff seem's to have to be bought in bulk ..

If this didn't have to be bought by the 100 they would be an awesome deal... I figured em at $189 dollars a panel / let me know if my math is wrong ..OK

Edited by - Kudzu on December 27 2011 20:53:00
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  20:57:41  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

That is some site if you buy just make sure that your closed voltage is some where between 17.5 and 19. and delivery time and shipping cost.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 27 2011 :  22:21:47  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er,
I've just been lookin to see what's available and the prices ... Like I said It's gonna be awhile, so why not look for the best deal... Not to mention I need the best deal ..lol ..
I've seen some solar panel rolls that claim to work great and be portable.. Have you used or messed with those types ?
Also, What type of solar panels are the best ? I noticed there are several types... What do you mean by closed voltage ?

I think that is a site most solar panel shops order from and resale..

Edited by - Kudzu on December 27 2011 22:30:17
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  09:30:49  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Closed voltage is take your volt meter and a panel in full sun and + panel to red on the meter and - to black and read the CLOSED volt reading that is where you get the voltage that will go into your battery. You don't want to get to much + 20 would be bad on a every day cycle. As far as what type is best what HF sells is what you don't want because when they get hot they don't produce well. All the others is just a guess look at the info sheet with the voltages and amps you will want to see volts between 17 and 19 , amps + 10 and efficiency of greater than 15-16% I have seen some 19.5% but question them and most warranty is 25 yrs. and that is 12v only. If your going for 24v double the voltage , divide the amps and all else will be same same. One more thing is that if you have a [problem that where you buy them that is where the warranty is also and shipping time to consider with customs. It all cost money and there not going to pay for it ,it is all on you. The difference between there price and US dealer prices reflect that and that is why I buy in the US, to much hassle out side for me. Ebay has a different program for each part of the world for that reason. Long winded LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  13:37:01  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, There are ton's of U.S. company's selling on there also.. Just put in the country you want to look for products in.. I saw one company selling broken panels / I saw a fellow on youtube puts panel pieces together and claiming to work as good as his full panels .. IDK on the if you have trouble , if your paying 1/4 to 1/3 that's a lot of panels difference.. They claim there's special solder to fix panel's if I get a big system going it's best to be able to diagnose and repair myself... Just like a automobile repair, I can't afford the dealership repairs ..

=============================================================================================================================================

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  13:45:42  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I will go back in to that site because I am about to buy another 1000 watts

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  14:27:20  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , I noticed the U.S. Companies seem to sell there's for a lot on the site ...You can search for U.S. distributor's of other country's product but, if you just search US and US made there very high priced ... I was discussing it with my wife and we would like to get to the point to buy in bulk and resale cheaper than everybody else and still make money while helping folk's get cheap solar system's...Getting the capitol to start would be tough with all we have going but, we can dream can't we... I'm thinking it would be a great business, at the very least something to consider... Have you seen the video where the guy uses solar panel pieces to make a full panel ? If he would have done it neater it would look better but even still it looked, OK.

=============================================================================================================================================

Edited by - Kudzu on December 28 2011 15:00:56
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  14:53:41  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

No I haven't seen that one, had to watch a movie and are taking the grandkids to a movie later so won't be on but will look for the video later

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  18:16:38  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er, Just search homemade solar panels... Here's one where the fellow didn't worry about making it pretty but, he said it works the same as his others..

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 28 2011 :  22:20:42  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Just got back from the movies and now I watched yours.. LOL I just want to say if you spend 80.00 for the pieces of solar panel and then put together and it last for three years and quits. It will be a bad investment Because I did it all ready and it is the same as you seen on the video all the moisture in his glass guess what that will corrode all spots that get wet and the out put of the panel will decrease like a corroded battery terminal after a while volts will go in but no amps and the battery go dead. I am not trying to take away your fun but there are no Short cuts with solar. 3yrs vs 25 yrs for what $$$ and time is what you weigh. Have fun

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 29 2011 :  00:13:01  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , I was using him as an example for that reason. The guy in the video didn't even try hard and it seem's to work OK.. I don't think he even caulked to frame to waterproof it..
My whole point was to say that they can be repaired and you can use small pieces to put em together . Or even make a panel if you want to.. There are lot's of people making better example's but, to see a slapped together one working fairly well, even with all the flaws.. That was the point.
If you open the seals on the frame a new one or if it isn't sealed well it will do the same in short order. The guy didn't seal the case but, again that was my point. To show a shoddy or "not pretty" example of it working and working fair , Not Great but, working .

Edited by - Kudzu on December 29 2011 00:17:38
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 29 2011 :  07:46:30  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Just didn't want you to blow a lot of bucks on a poor return on your money. They are fun for experiments and proof of concept or get them for .02 per # then you could make it. Where do you find all of these rinds like the alum for Dave, I never would have looked there. LOL your something else.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 29 2011 :  21:50:14  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , We had rabbits years ago and instead of wasting the hides we started to tan them out to save em to use.. I had to learn a bit about taxidermy , not much just a bit. lol .. On the other, I've always had to be able to find a way to fix my own stuff and family's stuff .. It's always been fix it or do without it .. lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 29 2011 :  21:56:46  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

I always thought you used the brains of the animal for tanning the hide? realy

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 29 2011 :  22:04:59  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Indians usta use the brains and the sun along with scraping the hide .. It's kinda nasty to do it that way ... Either dog's or something stole my hide I tried that method on.. That was many decades ago.. lol

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 31 2011 :  11:04:39  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Did you find a cheep place to get panels yet. I am going to buy some soon, I found them for 1.34 watt 195watts per panel. I need a another 1000 watts because winter and 4 battery banks is to much. LOL

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kudzu
Administrator

USA
1619 Posts

Posted - December 31 2011 :  19:20:09  Show Profile Send Kudzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey 49er , Everything I keep finding if based in the U.S.A. is mostly the same price , there are a few a bit cheaper but, not much ... Well , out of all that I've found so far ... The main way I've seen to get cheaper so far is to direct order from China like most of them do but, like you said if you had trouble your in for it ..

==================================================

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4431 Posts

Posted - December 31 2011 :  19:59:14  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi K

Thanks for the try I will order them next week while the have them in 12v

Doug
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2