International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Solar Power
 My project panels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 09 2013 :  08:14:03  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally have some free time to get my solar SSG back up online and contimue the experiment.

Ran through the panels on the bench and found most are down.
Have 4 more to go through, but so far only 3 are working.

The bad ones read good voltage, yet won't light the LED I'm testing them with.

These are 11watt 12vdc Amorphous panels.
Placed in sunlight, the bad ones will read 2 volts less than the good ones (still talking 16vdc open).
Yet won't light the LED.

I've always assumed, if I have voltage, I have current.
Doesn't seem to be the case..

What's stranger, is the best panels have some back coating missing from being outside..

Thoughts?

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - June 10 2013 :  08:00:39  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi OD.

That does sound very strange. I have often found old panels from garden lights that work better than when new.
I have no idea how or why this happens. Is it possible the panels are somehow restricted on their output when produced (similar to batteries)?
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - June 10 2013 :  23:07:51  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one thing a lot of people miss, is that the amount of cells determines voltage, the surface area determines amperage. so if you took a 6in by 6 inch square cell and broke it up into quarters, then string those in series, you would get 4 times the voltage but you will now get 1/4th the amps out of it. so if your cells are partially damaged you could be getting the amps of a tiny corner and not know it from volt testing. only amp testing will show you that, and amps times volts gets you watts.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 11 2013 :  16:23:13  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by The_Architect

one thing a lot of people miss, is that the amount of cells determines voltage, the surface area determines amperage. so if you took a 6in by 6 inch square cell and broke it up into quarters, then string those in series, you would get 4 times the voltage but you will now get 1/4th the amps out of it. so if your cells are partially damaged you could be getting the amps of a tiny corner and not know it from volt testing. only amp testing will show you that, and amps times volts gets you watts.

I'm with you here Arc!

My latest testing starts with a voltage bench test to find best area to connect to panel (lugs are non-existent).
Next step is to hook up my 10watt led light and move into the sunlight.
Now I know if I have current (wattage).

When you look at a panel, like mine, singular (not multiple coupled together), you see the lines running top to bottom.
Thought is, some of these lines have bad connections..

If a few are connected, then voltage can still be present?
And amperage would not?

Here comes 'left field'!

I came home today and I'm 'burning in' the panels.
I've hooked up a 10watt led to the panels to run them on load.
Thought being, I don't want the panels running 'open'.
I want them running 'on load'.
The led light is brighter today, then yesterday.

Ya, more sun you'll say..

Well, here's the game.

Yesterday was a good sun day.
Today is overcast.
Yesterday the panels pushed 7.75vdc to the light.
Today 9vdc to the light.
(light burning as reading is taken)

My thought is like Irish's here..

Can panels be taught like batteries can be?

The more use they get under-load, the better they perform?

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4443 Posts

Posted - June 11 2013 :  17:54:38  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ODR

In short no, The older they get the weaker the get (25 yrs.) more voltage means a clearer sky, Also the temp of the air will (could) have something to do with it, less temp better amps. They run spaghetti lines to cool the panels and heat water but still get only max amps.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - June 11 2013 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah my solar experiment showed this. I cut out the UV and some of the rest of the light, and got a tiny drop in volts, it was the amps that pushed up so I suspect that increasing the light to make sure I am getting 100% of the light I was getting with out blockage, would only return the voltage back to normal while the amps would ramp up by about 18%.

By the way I am looking for some people to do their own testing. all you need to test the concept is a sheet of polycarbonate the size of the panel. nothing else.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 12 2013 :  18:07:53  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by The_Architect

yeah my solar experiment showed this. I cut out the UV and some of the rest of the light, and got a tiny drop in volts, it was the amps that pushed up so I suspect that increasing the light to make sure I am getting 100% of the light I was getting with out blockage, would only return the voltage back to normal while the amps would ramp up by about 18%.

By the way I am looking for some people to do their own testing. all you need to test the concept is a sheet of polycarbonate the size of the panel. nothing else.

Arch, you're going to have to explain this direction a little better to me.
It seems your defusing the light vs reflecting the light as I'm headed.

Parabolic vs hyperbolic?

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - June 24 2013 :  09:36:55  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
actually I am reflecting a bit of the light from adding the extra layers but it is not diffusion so much as completely filtering out the light I dont want. you can use lexan (polycarbonate) when building a solar cell array the way people use glass normally and it would cut out one of the reflection surfaces the same way they do with glass, at that point you should see no matter what a longer lifespan in the cells, as well as a decent boost in power output. increasing the light would mean using say two sheets of smooth aluminum foil coated material to reflect 3 times the sun on an array, though you might need to go a bit of an extra distance to cool the cells themselves if you do that. Since UV rays are a big part of the heat that cells suffer from, if you allow some room (and lose a tiny bit like 4% of the light) then you should see a serious reduction in how hot the cells get, and the polycarbonate will be what heats up from absorbing the UV rays. I will do a small video showing you how I test materials for UV penetration, and you should get the idea for everything I am doing then.

Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - June 24 2013 :  15:02:21  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to the video Arch!
I have much to learn.

Our minds are headed in opposite directions right now.
You have found something that needs to be removed.
I'm trying to gain everything possible.

I've looked at reflectors and don't believe that's the simple answer.
Now a curved absorber, in front of the panel...
Absorber takes the heat, remaining goes to the panel..
Clear panel, so sunlight can penetrate, yet curved to catch off angle sunlight.
Kinda on the idea of what a SunTube does.

Why track if you can catch...
Hmm...

As I said, really looking forward to your video!

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - June 24 2013 :  20:36:15  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
testing to see if it works any better

**edit**
deleted the post that had the broken URL for the video before this post
**end edit**

Edited by - The_Architect on June 24 2013 20:43:46
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - June 24 2013 :  20:38:30  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is something wrong with the forum? I posted a reply here and it took me to the testbench for SSD :(

**edit** Ok I had to come back here manually via going through the forums and clicking on it again. not sure why but ie keeps kicking me back to the thread Tinman has up for a SSD device :(
**end edit**

Edited by - The_Architect on June 24 2013 20:41:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2