International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Power of Nature
 Wind Power
 VAWG out of junk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  21:34:53  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

SD3T and I are embarking on making a VAWG in my back yard with junk that WE all ready have or find along the side of the road.
The unit will be on a frame of 4X4" posts 3 feet in the ground and 4 foot square, 5 feet tall to the top of the base. We will use 3 bearings to support the 4' X 4' squirrel cage made from 2 round pieces of 3/4" plywood and use PVC pipe for the blades. A lot of testing will be needed on them for speed and torque. Pics will be forth coming.

The post are in the ground ready for a platform top then we can start the shaft and bearings. We decided this is the next step with generators to make some big power better than you can buy on Ebay.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
You must be logged in to see this link.
SKYPE bxx49er

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  05:12:46  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice start guys.

Looking forward to following this.
Go to Top of Page

kcarring

Canada
1057 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  01:02:26  Show Profile Send kcarring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool project :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wouldn't laugh at my igloo if you knew how cold my beer is!
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  07:01:38  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW.

It is looking great.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 27 2013 :  07:33:58  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Well after a lot of work we have learned a lot and one thing is it has to be a light weight design. SD3T showed that a lighter wheel spun faster with less blades but the wheel has less torque for driving a heavy electric load. So from this I see the next step should be put our efforts in prop type power units like I have now and put up a forest of them as big as we can make them. They will need to be AC wave so they can have a long length cord before changing to DC at the battery bank. Also from my units I have up now we have seen wind interference with 2 of mine because they are too close and the same height. To help with long distance the AC power can be run over 150 ft from the bank which will be a big help to get the blades away from the house to keep the wind interference low. Steve has a idea on how to cut blades so that should be the next steep.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - June 28 2013 :  06:52:16  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was chatting with a guy only last week that has built one from a 40 gallon steel drum. He said it was way too heavy and only worked in high winds, so he made BBQs from the drum halves.
I have been looking out for guttering myself but so far I have only found light crap and old iron ones. The wind here over the last week is crazy and continues today.
I used to salvage loads of goodies from the dump, but they stopped allowing people to take stuff - I have even tried backhanders to no avail. I nearly cried when I saw the containers of batteries.
Looking forward to more updates.
Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4442 Posts

Posted - June 28 2013 :  07:12:05  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave

I think I will go back to the snow shovel idea and try it. My little 200 watter on the house broke one of its alum blades in a big wind, they were 65.00 US and only lasted 2 yrs but that was better than 1 yr for the PVC blades that came with it. We will come up with something. I am planing on moving the one that broke to the solar panel field and put the pipe there with a new 1600 AC PMA. I think the turbulence of the 13 blade was its down fall (to close) in big winds.

Doug
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - July 03 2013 :  05:31:52  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the snow shovel idea.
Go to Top of Page

olddawgsrule
Advanced Member

USA
1434 Posts

Posted - July 03 2013 :  17:55:31  Show Profile  Visit olddawgsrule's Homepage Send olddawgsrule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
awesome job here guys!
Just caught up on the thread..

I built a VAWG last year to do some testing.
I used bicycle rims thinking bearing and free spin and one already has a gear on it.

Here in NH the winds spin a bit
Hills, trees, yada yada,yada...
Thought a VAWG might be a better prospect

Spinning winds lead to lee side wind problem and ever changing and the restriction
Which lead towards a shield from lee side
Which lead towards yet another problem of shield spinning...
Which just seemed like an H...

Then it dawned on me..
Ya, ODR had yet another thought...

Flapper wings!

For S&G's I took some coil stock I have around here and some rubber (low tech) for hinging and added it to blades.
Skip the shield..
This worked kinda cool.
More spin, less restriction.
Hmm, Who cares which way the wind blows??
It caught it all (well almost..)!
Blade extension folded on lee side, opened on Windward.
Thought the Flipper blade opened late and lost some energy
Figured the hard blade needed to be there for constant
Yet there was a good gain
Better hinging, better design, who knows what could be really gained

I was working with 4" pvc and had half the blades you do.
So my results may not pertain

Just my 2 cents (what it's worth) and my experience with a VAWG experiment
Still think it would work better the an H, but given my winds and area, I've stuck to an H...

Again, Awesome Job Guys!
And from junk!

Old in age, not in mind, so
'Teach me something new'!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 8.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2