International Alternative Energy Center
International Alternative Energy Center
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Usefull Links
 Magnetes
 making neo magnets from old ones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 11 2013 :  19:05:58  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this kinda useful, as I had not seen it already. kinda thinking we could make our own magnets out of powdered neodymium magnets and mixing that into an epoxy maybe, to make the final shape, *unless you can come up with the way to heat the metal powder together as they talk about here, sintering the mass into a solid object*

the important thing that might or might not be right, is that apparently they place a magnetic field over the material stronger than the magnetic material can withstand and it causes it to change all it's polarity, becoming a new magnetic structure.
how simply they are made:(and anyone with further info either corroborating or correcting would be useful :)

You must be logged in to see this link.

ok I can not find it now, but I saw somewhere that the most efficient electro magnet you can make is made from cutting out partial arcs (like C) from two materials one being a conductive one, and the other being an insulating one, of the same thickness, then placing them on top of each other but off rotation around the center, so that the end of one conductive sheet would touch the beginning of the next conductive one on the next layer, and the rest of the layers are separated by the insulation layer, causing a spiral effect down the length of a tube. If anyone has any info on this, it would be cool to see. my idea here would be to get a group of us together and construct a rig that would allow us to remake old neo and other materials into new forms at as low of a cost as possible, so we can build custom magnets to fit our needs.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 11 2013 :  22:42:28  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok the flat disc helical design I was talking about that I saw was apparently a smaller version of this You must be logged in to see this link. so it did not need the holes to pass water through as that one does :) one thing that comes up though with this, is the plates will want to fly apart, so a strong casing is apparently needed to keep this from happening :)

Go to Top of Page

IrishDave

Ireland
850 Posts

Posted - March 12 2013 :  06:46:33  Show Profile Send IrishDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always wondered how magnets were made - nice links TA
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 12 2013 :  19:42:46  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
your welcome. I really need to get a Gauss meter :)

Go to Top of Page

49er
Administrator

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - March 14 2013 :  09:13:08  Show Profile Send 49er a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi TA

Why don't built one,I think there was a meter to build in one of our threads.

Doug
The sky is not the limit...There are footprints on the MOON.
Your only as DUMB as where your standing.
No matter where you go there you are.
SKYPE bxx49er
Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1047 Posts

Posted - March 14 2013 :  18:07:35  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a Gaussmeter design :-

ron
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 16 2013 :  05:38:34  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm I guess I should look around and see if I can find a good circuit for a more commonly available sensor. Looked online and could not find any of those sensors for less than 10 dollars a piece, before shipping. but I found a ton of other hall effect sensors. Thanks Ron. :)

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 18 2013 :  04:53:55  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok managed to pulverize some neo magnet crumbs that came from breaking some hard drive magnets up to make smaller magnets out of one large one. got some epoxy tonight, so now I am going to mix up the powder and epoxy and stick it in a sandwich back and place it on a still in tact magnet to align the powder, and let it sit, to see if I even need an electro magnet for making these :)

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 19 2013 :  02:23:08  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok still waiting on the last attempt to process the epoxy magnet, as the first attempt, (for various possible reasons) was not super strong, though it is left with a definite polarity on the side of the magnet it was stuck to while the epoxy dried. I really want to get some long term setting epoxy though, like at least 2 hour, as that will give the stuff a chance to migrate while it is still liquid, and settle to the bottom on the side of the magnet, another thing I would definitely like to try is to make a rig that keeps two of these magnets on either side of it with out crushing the mold *that was a zip lock bag at this point* squishing the liquid inside out of the mold, along with my magnetic materials :) )

one very curious thing I noticed too though, my magnet did not want to lay on the top side down on anything magnetically attractive (like a piece of non magnetized iron) instead it either flips over to the side that was stuck to the actual whole magnet, or it rocks up and floats with only the highest peak of epoxy on the top side holding it up, I will have to show a tiny video of it, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 19 2013 :  02:40:27  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ideas on why the magnet is not as strong as I had hoped for:

1. the amount of actual magnetic material is not all that much and is not as compact as it was.
2. a lot of the magnetic material being previously magnetized is creating an interference in the new magnet, so the magnetic force can not penetrate to align the deeper portions of the magnet.
3. the epoxy is effecting the magnetic field some how, that I am not aware of.
4. something else that I have not thought of yet.

If I were a gambling man, which I am not, I would say it is a little of both 1 and 2. Any one here have any other ideas? I am going to get some longer curing thinner epoxy as soon as I have some more money to plop down on this, and try building a rig I can stick this all into with magnet under and over, in a 1 and a half ton press I have here, to see if it makes any difference. if that does not give the desired results, then the next option is to try using an electromagnet to magnetize it after the epoxy has fully cured and to try an epoxy paint I have here also instead.

Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 19 2013 :  18:25:47  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
some pics and a video of the magnet I made with a sandwich bag as a mold material :)

the video is a lot of time showing me smashing up the magnet, and some footage of the odd behavior of the resultant magnet, and about 15 to 30 second rendering of what I believe might be the shape of the magnetic material causing the odd property you see in the video just before it.

Go to Top of Page

ron_o

United Kingdom
1047 Posts

Posted - March 20 2013 :  16:35:39  Show Profile Send ron_o a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that you need to "destroy" the magnetism in the first place , then break/grind up ( please remember neo magnet composition is toxic )the no longer magnet pieces then mix the "dust" with the epoxy to form a very viscous ( almost solid ) mass which has only sufficient epoxy to hold it all together , which you allow to set and then remagnetise as you described in your first posting.

ron
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - March 20 2013 :  19:26:10  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
destroying the magnetism I think should not be too hard, as the max curie temp according to that site is only like 570F (390C?) I have a heat gun that I can get things up to 800 to 900 degrees in a hurry and with patients I can nearly get them to 1200 degrees (all Fahrenheit) just need a suitable container to do this in, since the heatgun is blowing air, and I would not want the dust blown around once it loses this magnetic property, and holds together no longer. even if it was not toxic :). Guess I seriously need to plan on building that bitter magnet. made some sketches already, and I am thinking maybe of going with appliance epoxy spraypaint and taping off the areas I want to make metal on metal contact. what ever dielectric I use it will be a pretty long journey but I will post progress as I go.

Edited by - The_Architect on March 17 2016 04:56:03
Go to Top of Page

The_Architect
Average Member

USA
327 Posts

Posted - January 20 2017 :  18:48:33  Show Profile  Visit The_Architect's Homepage Send The_Architect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not sure why the pics are missing but I can reload them from a new location I guess. (probably something facebook did to keep people from accessing them with out actually coming on their site so they can spy on you. Also I plan on a new design to see if it is possible to make some very complex magnetic fields, as well as further testing of the original design with a better material to work with. (think 3D printed magnets in any shape the plastic can be printed into)

you can reach me on discord at You must be logged in to see this link.

second Youtube channel
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
International Alternative Energy Center © 2000-2009 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2